Author Topic: University Challenge  (Read 20266 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: University Challenge
« Reply #75 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:23:55 am »
It was Barnes Wallis wasn't it?

Everybody knows that!  ;D

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #76 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:25:24 am »
The battle of Waterloo? Was that during the miners strike?
It is simpler than it looks.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #77 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:33:04 am »
A battle?  At Waterloo? :o

Was it between pedestrians and RLJing cyclists?  I'd not be surprised...
Getting there...

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #78 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:34:52 am »
This is a very blokish view of knowledge, the knowing of names and dates. It really pisses me off when we go to a pub quiz because people do well because they can memorise isolated facts. Knowing a few dates in history is far less important than understanding historical causes.

IIRC, women are known to be better wine tasters than men, in general - they have a better appreciation of the flavours.  However far more men are Masters of Wine, because men have a better recollection of the facts and minutiae.
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #79 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:56:54 am »

Well, I've stopped watching television because the quality became so dire.

I'd not go back to the '50s, no, because the technology changed so much, but it's very hard to maintain the standards of, for example, comedy when you are constantly being compared to Monty Python, Morecambe & Wise, 2 Ronnies, Fawlty Towers, Tony Hancock...

[...]

So far as "pop"music is concerned, just like classical stuff, it has to stand the test of time,
[my emphasis]

Fairly recently I found an edition of the Radio Times lying around at my parents'. It had photos from Charles & Diana's wedding, which must have been why it was kept at first, and had then been used for packing china or something.

Almost all the TV back then, just as now, was dire. The "standards" of comedy weren't all being shown at once, and a lot of stuff was shown whose names would ring a bell if you saw them, giving a faint sense of relief that you don't have to watch it again.

I'd certainly choose a contemporary week's programming over that, if I were confined to bed and unable to read; especially since with Freeview you have a fair proportion of the better stuff from the last fifty years on continuous repeat.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #80 on: 12 October, 2010, 09:58:07 am »
The four most played artists on BBC Radio and TV this week are Cee-Lo, Labrinth, Magnetic Man and Kanye West. I for one know little about contemporary popular culture, beyond knowing that Anne Widdicombe is on Strictly Come Dancing, having witnessed her performance in the Culag Hotel Lochinver in the company of some heavily intoxicated Breton trawlermen. Debating the relative merits of Heaven 17 and Thomas Tallis never came up.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #81 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:04:15 am »
I agree that the categorisation and labelling things is a very male view of knowledge.  And I'd struggle to name the English monarchs, though I'd make a decent stab at it.

I'd also agree that what matters is the flow of history, of causation - how the Black Death caused the end of feudalism and the Peasants Revolt; how the enclosures led to the Civil War, and, yes, how the aftermath of the Napoleonic Wars led to Peterloo, and ultimately (is anything ultimately?) to Chartism etc.

But to understand these things, you would need to know a little bit of the hooks to peg the picture to.  You;d need to know the context and what else was happening.

And all culture has a historical/geographical context.  

Heaven 17's  Fascist Groove Thing is much more significant when you remember the context - that the NF had been on the rise (and on the march) in the late 70s.  The unpleasant attitudes expressed by musicians had sparked off Rock Against Racism, an offshoot of the Anti-Nazi League.  Thatcher's election in 1979 had been partly on the back of out-racisting the NF and cutting away their platform.  The Tories had introduced the Nationality Act, and were working on more measures.

Blair Peach's murder by the SPG, and the abuse of the Sus law (see Not! sketch on Constable Savage) led to a feeling that the state apparatus was being used to create a authoritarian far right-wing state, coming to a head in the summer of 1981, where part of the country was celebrating the royal wedding, and many others were reacting against heavy-handed (and racist) Policing in Handsworth, Brixton, St Pauls, Moss Side, Toxteth etc.

That's the background to a single rejecting the right-wing violence of such as the British Movement, Combat 18 and the fragmenting NF (soon to reform around the BNP), and the music of Oi, as well as the creepy obsession with Nazi imagery flirted with by, among others, David Bowie, new romantics. and other pioneers of electronica.

That song was an expression of the two former Human League members' belief in the possibility of founding a more progressive identity in the renewed modernism of the styles and the times.

And it was banned by the state broadcaster.  Well, not banned.  They didn't really do that, but it never made the playlist of a heavily playlist-oriented station when some DJs with allegedly dodgy politics disapproved.

But besides all that, that song, and Temptation, which broke boundaries in its own way, are musical classics in their own right, and stand the test of time.
Getting there...

« Reply #82 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:22:00 am »
The alternative view is that the arrival of North Sea Oil enabled governments to address some of the structural problems of the British economy, leading to a period of high unemployment, which was sustained socially by a relatively lax benefit regime. This enabled artistic youngsters to lead a bohemian lifestyle unencumbered by the need to conform to a 9 to 5 lifestyle. The result was an explosion of creativity in the late 70s and early 80s. In this analysis the pivotal record is 'Wham Rap', which also presages a more inclusive society in terms of race, gender and sexual orientation.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xKFEX0HwfYc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/xKFEX0HwfYc&rel=1</a>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #83 on: 12 October, 2010, 10:22:51 am »
That might be an interpretation, too.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #84 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:31:33 pm »
Quote from: My son Graham
The first was a chap with a very British name which I can't remember. Wikipedia says: Barnes Wallace. Second - no idea, the 80s were a pretty terrible decade for music. Don't even know what that song sounds like off the top of my head.
Graham, aged 26, Politics student (BA, MA, studying for PhD), keyboard player in a band, knows far more about music over the last 50 years than is the average.

I reckon last night's students may not be too bad after all.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #85 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:34:41 pm »
You might think a keyboard player would know more about electro pioneers.  I think that the Human League was one of the very first bands playing entirely synthesised music.
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #86 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:36:41 pm »
One thing no-one has mentioned yet: it was a cracking contest last night. And what's more, if that Canadian chap - who at one point seemed to forget which quiz he was in - hadn't kept buzzing in with the wrong answer, his team probably would have won.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #87 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:37:47 pm »
You might think a keyboard player would know more about electro pioneers.  I think that the Human League was one of the very first bands playing entirely synthesised music.

On the other hand, a totally non-random sample of people who were born in / grew up in the 80s but are thoroughly politically and very culturally aware haven't heard of Heaven 17 either. Just perhaps you are overestimating their importance?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #88 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:40:29 pm »
The battle of Waterloo? Was that during the miners strike?
No, it was the 1973 Eurovision song contest.

Which takes us back to Kirst's post above. I ran the two questions past my daughter (first class degree in history) this morning and she couldn't answer either. When I mentioned the name Barnes Wallace she'd never heard of him. Her reaction was interesting:

"Does it fucking matter? It's just like cocky dads on open night. They are always trying to catch me out with questions like 'When was the Battle of Waterloo?' to which I reply 'Does it matter?' I really struggle to remember dates but I understand events and causes. The battle of Waterloo, and the unemployment amongst returning soldiers, had a profound effect on subsequent governments and led to widening the number of people who were allowed to vote. That's what matters."
I don't think I said it mattered - although I do think it right that his contribution to the war effort is remembered and respected. I was expressing light-hearted surprise that contestants on University Challenge, who are generally regarded as having good general knowledge, didn't know he invented the bouncing bomb. Whether it "matters" that they know or not, I remain surprised they didn't.

I can't accept that anyone who doesn't know Temptation could be said to know far more than average about music over the last 50 years, especially as it was re-released a few years ago. It's a very well known song.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #89 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:43:45 pm »
FWIW there was a whole genre of bands from the 70/80s that I simply CNBA with, incl: Heaven 17, The Smiths, The Cure, Joy Division. Teardrop Explodes, Echo and the Bunneymen, OMD, etc.

« Reply #90 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:46:11 pm »
Tonto's Expanding Head Band were probably the first such band. Working with Stevie Wonder they pioneered electronics in mainstream music.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wuaSzFf7yq0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/wuaSzFf7yq0&rel=1</a>

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #91 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:48:38 pm »
Barnes Wallis gets a blue plaque on the New Cross Road a block or so from New Cross Gate station, opposite the bus garage.

It's a part of the world that would convince anyone of the desirability of the radical application of high explosives.
Not especially helpful or mature

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #92 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:49:41 pm »
You might think a keyboard player would know more about electro pioneers.  I think that the Human League was one of the very first bands playing entirely synthesised music.

They played my Uni when they were still an 'experimental' band ( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f1sij3BYpqo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/f1sij3BYpqo&rel=1</a>). They wanted to play recordings of their music as a soundtrack to projected images. It was explained to them in words of one syllable that that was not what students considered 'a live performance'.

Edit: Me and my pals used to play Autobahn in the music room at lunchtimes when I was in the Sixth Form, circa '76. The only vaguely decent stereo system we had access to.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #93 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:51:26 pm »

Tangerine Dream?  Kraftwerk?  Both pre-dated post-punk/late-1970s-early-1980s British electronica by a fair bit, as I remember.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #94 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:52:41 pm »
Barnes Wallis gets a blue plaque on the New Cross Road a block or so from New Cross Gate station, opposite the bus garage.

It's a part of the world that would convince anyone of the desirability of the radical application of high explosives.

The bouncing bomb was tested off the coast of Herne Bay. Many have suggested it should have been tested on the coast of Herne Bay.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #95 on: 12 October, 2010, 01:56:51 pm »
You might think a keyboard player would know more about electro pioneers.  I think that the Human League was one of the very first bands playing entirely synthesised music.

They played my Uni when they were still an experimental 'band' ( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f1sij3BYpqo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/f1sij3BYpqo&rel=1</a>). They wanted to play recordings of their music as a soundtrack to projected images. It was explained to them in words of one syllable that that was not what students considered 'a live performance'.

I saw them do that at, umm, The Hammersmith Palais and The Lyceum. Support included Spizz Energy, Wall of Voodoo, The Mekons.  Brilliant. Just brilliant. Then Martin Rushent took over their production and it all went downhill.

eeh, those were the days. 'course the real reason, in Clarion's eyes, that they and Heaven 17 are the pinnacle of western civilisation is that they come from Sheffield, which my correspondents tell me is in a county to the north of where I am at the moment.     
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #96 on: 12 October, 2010, 02:01:29 pm »

The bouncing bomb was tested off the coast of Herne Bay. Many have suggested it should have been tested on the coast of Herne Bay.

d.

No. About 16 miles WNW would have been preferable. Still waiting for the Richard Montgomery...
There's no vibrations, but wait.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #97 on: 12 October, 2010, 02:17:21 pm »
'course the real reason, in Clarion's eyes, that they and Heaven 17 are the pinnacle of western civilisation is that they come from Sheffield, which my correspondents tell me is in a county to the north of where I am at the moment.     

That's unfair!

OK, so I do like Pulp, Heaven 17, The Enzymes, Reverend & The Makers, Richard Hawley, Moloko (another Clockwork Orange ref), Hula, Comsat Angels, Haze, Hi'n'Dri, Arctic Monkeys, Def Leppard and a bit of Cabaret Voltaire.

But I don't much care for Phil Oakey.  He was a vain prat. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #98 on: 12 October, 2010, 02:23:31 pm »

Tangerine Dream?  Kraftwerk?  Both pre-dated post-punk/late-1970s-early-1980s British electronica by a fair bit, as I remember.

The 70s groups were using analogue instruments and tape with reliance on sequencers, hence the  repetitive overlapping rythyms. When digital techniques came in there was a shift to sampled sounds and the trademark orchestral stabs of Trevor Horn. Tracks could be assembled in a non-linear way, much like film, that complimented the video revolution and was encouraged by MTV.
A video such as  'Don't you want me baby' makes this change explicit.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/arUqoKjU3D4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/arUqoKjU3D4&rel=1</a>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #99 on: 12 October, 2010, 02:26:44 pm »

But I don't much care for Phil Oakey.  He was a vain prat. ;D

He had nice hair though.
It is simpler than it looks.