Author Topic: I hate running, but...  (Read 8097 times)

I hate running, but...
« on: 20 September, 2012, 08:56:31 pm »
As I have mentioned once or twice over the last few months, I am working away from home three days a week at the moment.  I had hoped this would have come to an end now, but the away_boss has been given some more cash to keep me and home_boss has no immediate work lined up, so I don't really have much choice.
I am usually back in the hotel by 5.30.  (They work silly hours!) That does provide some time for exercise.  I've tried taking the bike but I've only managed two rides out of about four weeks worth of attempts--various reasons some better than others  :face palm:
And, with the evenings drawing in, riding will become less inviting (I've been doing an off road ride and that will be silly with the lighting i have available).

So, I thought about running.  I used to jog 'a bit' about 20 years ago.  The last time I tried I had problems with my thighs (fine when I was on the flat, but getting down stairs was comical and painful).

Does the panel have any advice on: whether to give it another go, and if so, how long/far to start with &c &c?

Thanks

Steve
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: I hate running, but...
« Reply #1 on: 20 September, 2012, 08:59:42 pm »
Run gently, concentrating on absorbing the shock, and you may be able to avoid the initial shin splints.  I did a bit of running in the summer and it was fine.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:09:02 pm »
Working out of hotels is soul destroying I have done it over a large chunk of the planet as have lots of YACFers.  Running is hard on the bones and subject to local conditions get advice. If you can get hold of a bike much less hard on the bones also get local advice.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:15:32 pm »
You could start with a Couch to 5K plan. They usually start with a few minutes minutes walking, then a few minutes running, for a total of 30 minutes. Steadily increasing the amount of running.
There's a few available with podcasts etc. eg from the NHS: http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
or from Podrunner: http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:19:55 pm »
Run gently, concentrating on absorbing the shock, and you may be able to avoid the initial shin splints.  I did a bit of running in the summer and it was fine.

Further to that - get a decent pair of running shoes. They're are so much better than they used to be and a good pair will really help keep injuries at bay.

I did a winter of running a few years back and with new shoes, my knees gave me no hassle at all when in the past they always would...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:21:35 pm »
As has been suggested, definitely start gently.  It's a common mistake to assume that fitness in one field will easily transfer to another.  It only works in cardio-vascular terms (grammar that makes even me cringe and I wrote it!).  Stretching before and after will probably help but that should be gentle, too.  Probably the most certain way to solve the painful thighs v stairs scenario is to get your hotel to give you a room on the ground floor!

Bobb's advice is very sound, whether you read it aloud or not.

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:23:13 pm »
I started running when I was on assignment in the US.

I thought I hated it but, once my Canadian friend told me I was running too fast and I should be able to chat whilst jogging, I slowed down and got the hang of it.

My knees don't particularly get on with running so I stopped but I think the key (I'm really no expert here) is a proper pair of running shoes (very light and very spongy to save your joints) and a nice slow pace for an hour. 

Don't put on a pair of Green-Flash and go hell for leather for 2 minutes until you keel over.

Obviously, if you spot any attractive girls walking the other way you should speed up to a near Olympic pace until you pass them and are out of sight.

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:29:06 pm »
Obviously, if you spot any attractive girls walking the other way you should speed up to a near Olympic pace until you pass them and are out of sight.

I am far too old and grey for that to be a consideration!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #8 on: 21 September, 2012, 01:32:47 am »
Stretching before......

Warm up first.
Never, ever start with stretching. DAMHIKT.
Jog slowly for about 5 minutes (maybe more) and then stretch.

Toady

« Reply #9 on: 21 September, 2012, 10:01:20 am »
Just a warning about treadmills.  If you do get into regular running, and then it's raining and you find that the hotel has a treadmill, go easy.

When I was a regular runner I found that fitness to run on the road doesn't necessarily transfer to the treadmill.  I remember I ran an easy 8 miler on a hotel treadmill, (or some such distance - long, but no big deal distance wise to me in those days), and knackererd my soleus muscles for some reason.  (Maybe I had it set too fast, maybe the action is not quite "real" I dunno).  Took a couple of weeks to be able to run again after that.  I should have taken it easy as a new exercise type to start off.

Apart from that - agree all the above:  jog/walk to begin, good shoes, warm up, stretch, don't overdo it, allow time to recover.

« Reply #10 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:00:19 am »
My advice:

I've never seen a runner smiling, as distinct from cyclists.  There will be a reason for this.

« Reply #11 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:08:09 am »
Ham, the reason could be you need new glasses!  I loved to run and smiled inanely.  I even smiled all the way to the MRI scanner which put an end to my running.  Didn't smile much on the way home, though!

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:11:43 am »
My advice:

I've never seen a runner smiling, as distinct from cyclists.  There will be a reason for this.

As I sat on my sofa, watching the Great North Run on TV, I noticed the same thing.

Apart from thousands of grimacing faces I also noticed many hundreds of people I would consider way too overweight to be pounding their knees into tarmac.  Quite amazing how many were wearing knee supports and how many were limping or struggling to run after just a few km. (some looked in bad shape as they crossed the start line).

Again, I'm no expert (but that doesn't keep a good YACF'er down), but I'd have thought running/jogging was perfectly healthy IF:

- You weren't carrying way too much weight
- You were in control of your running style (ie. Not limping or forced into poor posture)
- You weren't in need of some form of structural support before you set off.

Apart from the first half of the field it looked like it was sponsored by ACME Knee Supports Inc.

Edit.  Of course the winner was a 7stone Kenyan who was pounding the tarmac for about an hour.  That's great, I can see that would be fun.  The tail-enders were 20stone and pounding tarmac for over 3 hours.  Not fun, or healthy I would have thought.

« Reply #13 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:13:44 am »
 ;D

but see above.  There are exceptions!  (Africans do a lot of smiling; some are positively laughing, it's so easy!)

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:15:37 am »
;D

but see above.  There are exceptions!  (Africans do a lot of smiling; some are positively laughing, it's so easy!)

Cross-post with my edit.

Yes, Kenyans smile because moving 7 stone along for an hour is a breeze.

« Reply #15 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:29:00 am »
I agree there may be exceptions that prove the rule and you may be one such, but the rule passes. Those that smile are in the smallest minority,  so small that I don't see them in distinct contrast to cycling, especially on a sunny day (or oddly enough a really wet day). If you don't believe me stand for a while on the Southbank or any other street.

It is a subject I've been thinking about the whole summer, I have been looking and failing to see a single smiling runner and I see a very lot. The best I see are comfortable runners, not grimacing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:43:16 am »
Ham, Your rule seems sound, but I fear it's comparing apples and er... cooking apples!

I think it's about effort level. Go to a photo gallery from a 10-mile TT - hardly any smiles. Cyclists can cover vast distances at low effort levels. SOME runners do the same, but the majority are running shorter and harder.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #17 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:48:39 am »
My thoughts also
Running to keep fit or running to get a better time over a race are different things.
A lot of people doing a half marathon (Great North Run) or other races are trying to get round the distance or better their time from last time.
The same as cycling, if I'm trying to beat a time I've rarely smiling. Riding or running with friends is often fun and smiling/laughing happens.

Rich

« Reply #18 on: 21 September, 2012, 11:56:04 am »
I hate running, but do it (badly) as a way to get my exercise fix quickly. 

If you're back at the hotel by 5.30, you've time plenty of time to spend exercising, so why not avoid injury and go for a brisk walk?  You can do the same distances but it'll take a bit longer.  Much less risk to knees / shins / hips / feet, and you can still work up a bit of a sweat.   

and get hold of a copy of 'convict conditioning' by Paul Wade, loads of exercises that can be done in a hotel room (or prison cell...)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #19 on: 21 September, 2012, 12:09:59 pm »
What about walking? Or is that not intensive enough for you?

I don't/can't run. Apart from occasionally having to nip across a road quickly I haven't run anywhere since I was at school, about 43 years ago - and I hated it then. To try and stave off diabetes, heart disease and overweight (that my dad succumbed to at 63) I've been walking for at least 2 hours every week day. Doc says it's a good idea so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It doesn't hurt too (unlike running).
There's no vibrations, but wait.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 21 September, 2012, 12:30:54 pm »
I've been toying with the 'walk-run' strategy. It's how I started off building up when first recovering from injury problems [double tib-fib fracture, not nasty gravel rash]. I then read that a lot of ultra runners - and those doing iron-man - actually plan to cover the "run" that way.
It would be nice to try stuff like the LWDA 30milers in this fashion (return to the Dorset Doddle? <shivers> )

It's got a lot of advantages - less damaging than full run, but more 'exertion' than a walk - but it is enormously frustrating! As soon as my legs find a rhythmn, the clock ticks round to the next walk phase. I can't see a good way of making it more interesting (apart from employing a running buddy/coach to shout orders - any volunteers?!? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21 on: 21 September, 2012, 02:48:39 pm »
I used to hate running but since I took up Parkrun about three months ago, I've grown to love it. I don't see smiling as a necessary indicator of enjoyment. You won't often see me smiling at the end of a Parkrun, but I always enjoy it.

Thing is, I've only started enjoying running since I lost weight and got fit. I think being overweight and unfit was one of the things that previously prevented me from enjoying running. YMMV.

I've always enjoyed a good long walk. Especially if there's a pub involved at some point on the route.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Toady

« Reply #22 on: 22 September, 2012, 07:23:29 pm »
I Loved running. I'm not allowed to run distances any more since a (non running related) knee mash up. I love cycling, and long walks. It's all good. :)  Edit ... I really dislike swimming though, so  I'm not entirely uncritical. And I rarely smile.

« Reply #23 on: 22 September, 2012, 10:46:18 pm »
I used to hate running but since I took up Parkrun about three months ago, I've grown to love it. I don't see smiling as a necessary indicator of enjoyment. You won't often see me smiling at the end of a Parkrun, but I always enjoy it.

Thing is, I've only started enjoying running since I lost weight and got fit. I think being overweight and unfit was one of the things that previously prevented me from enjoying running. YMMV.

I've always enjoyed a good long walk. Especially if there's a pub involved at some point on the route.

d.

Due to living life in hotels I also started Parkrun a fortnight ago posting 31:49 at my first attempt.  I was just happy I didn't walk.  I've never been a runner, always hated it, but needs must as I'm overweight and underfit.  And hey, I enjoyed it!  My second attempt was slower as I was with my daughter (Good sprinter ... no endurance), but we manage to smile ....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhsl/7992040883/sizes/o/in/photostream/

One thing I have tried this time around (I've tried jogging before) is to run on my toes not my heels and it's much more comfortable, no jarring.  Try it.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #24 on: 23 September, 2012, 08:05:54 am »
Fair enough, 10/10 for the smiles!

I see that great minds think alike: wear a bike-related top. It's like a sign-saying:" I'm actually quite good at my main sport ... "
Has never ridden RAAM
---------