Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 286935 times)

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

A random sequence of things ended with me thinking "Whatever happened to Sassafras?" They were an early 70's prog-country-rock band from Wales I got into at the same time as Man, they never got anywhere, despite being pretty good at what they did. Youtube offered me up a couple of Old Grey Whistle sessions. Within the first few minutes I was transported back to bell bottoms, display tambourine, guitar solos and lyrics covering shagging a schoolgirl, smoking dope and drinking moonshine. Ah the 70's, so misunderstood.

BBC Radio 1 is to play an edited version of the Pogues "Fairytale of New York"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54999375

I can see one of the changes - the obvious change to "faggot".  Can't see which complete line has been redacted - maybe "old slut and junky"

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.

I can see one of the changes - the obvious change to "faggot".  Can't see which complete line has been redacted - maybe "old slut and junky"

https://twitter.com/poguesofficial/status/1329394157354446850
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

T42

• Apprentice geezer

:facepalm:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

You can replace any leading role in a Hollywood film with Bungle - what's he going into?
https://twitter.com/CuriousUkTelly/status/1329044475533025281

Some of the replies are... inspired. More diabolocally-inspired than divine, but inspired, nonetheless.  ;D

https://twitter.com/mike_rawlins/status/1329045671677206533

https://twitter.com/TomPercivalsays/status/1329047202111557632

https://twitter.com/youngmark1/status/1329058949245579264
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's one of those songs you hear so often, you don't even hear it. At least I'd never listened to it sufficiently closely to notice the excised words. In fact, though I don't really either like or object to either, I'd probably marginally rather hear Slade.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

Okay, I see there are two versions of Fairytale... The original from 19-whenever and a rerecorded version from 1992. So it's most likely I only ever hear the 1992 version anyway. As someone who doesn't listen to either R1 or R2, I'd only hear it in stupormuckits and maybe pubs, which are probably more likely to choose the later version.

Steph

I am reminded in a way of the tasteful and refined track "Bring On The Nubiles", by the popular beat combo The Stranglers.

There were three versions, being in descending order of vulgarity  the album, the BBC Sessions one and the single. The tagline was:
single: "Lemme lemme love ya love ya!"
session: "Lemme lemme lay ya lay ya!"

I am sure you can work out the album one.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's one of those songs you hear so often, you don't even hear it. At least I'd never listened to it sufficiently closely to notice the excised words. In fact, though I don't really either like or object to either, I'd probably marginally rather hear Slade.

I have no particular issue with the song, but the 'cheap lousy faggot' line appeals to drunken homophobes in much the same way that the final verse of Autumn Days appeals to sportsball fans.  I reckon the world would be a marginally more pleasant place if we didn't encourage them, and the once-popular beat combo in question would appear to agree.

The BBC appear to be engaging in their usual both-sides-ism, by censoring it on Radio 1 for the benefit of the snowflake youngsters, while playing the uncut version for the gammons on Radio 2.  6 music is also letting the side down, by refusing to declare a Christmas music free zone.   :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

I have no particular issue with the song, but the 'cheap lousy faggot' line appeals to drunken homophobes in much the same way that the final verse of Autumn Days appeals to sportsball fans.  I reckon the world would be a marginally more pleasant place if we didn't encourage them, and the once-popular beat combo in question would appear to agree.
I can see that. I simply wasn't aware the song contained those lines. I must have heard the original version but the song as a whole has never appealed to me so I've never paid much attention.

And as you and I have previously established, I've never heard Autumn days either!

The BBC appear to be engaging in their usual both-sides-ism, by censoring it on Radio 1 for the benefit of the snowflake youngsters, while playing the uncut version for the gammons on Radio 2.  6 music is also letting the side down, by refusing to declare a Christmas music free zone.   :facepalm:
Good point. Trying to please everyone and annoying everyone in doing so. Though at least in this case it is for distinct audiences. Which leads me to wonder what version they'd play on Radio 3. And yes, I can easily imagine it, or a version of it, being played on R3, not necessarily at Christmas.

I am reminded in a way of the tasteful and refined track "Bring On The Nubiles", by the popular beat combo The Stranglers.

There were three versions, being in descending order of vulgarity  the album, the BBC Sessions one and the single. The tagline was:

CF the Rolling Stones "Star Star" and the Kinks "Lola" (and no boubt numerous radio edits of rap etc songs)- although the latter was more about advertising I think, with "cherry cola" replacing "coca cola"
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

citoyen

Kinks "Lola" (and no boubt numerous radio edits of rap etc songs)- although the latter was more about advertising I think, with "cherry cola" replacing "coca cola"

It's funny when you think about the prevailing morality at the time the song was released that this should be a greater concern than the main subject of the song.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
IIRC The Stones were also required to express the wish to spend some time together, rather than the night, when appearing on USAnian TV.  Because a nation of 300 million people appeared by parthogenesis, or something.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

IIRC The Stones were also required to express the wish to spend some time together, rather than the night, when appearing on USAnian TV.  Because a nation of 300 million people appeared by parthogenesis, or something.

There's a good pop trivia question in that, about B-sides that went to number one - the B-side in this case being Ruby Tuesday.

Cudzoziemiec

A good example that we need to distinguish between adaptation for audience, censorship, and changing your mind. Though the categories overlap of course.

citoyen

A good example that we need to distinguish between adaptation for audience, censorship, and changing your mind. Though the categories overlap of course.

Bowdlerisation should be included on that list as a distinct category (though again overlapping).

One of my favourite examples of this is Adam Buxton singing along to NWA's "Help the police" in the car with his kids.
https://youtu.be/zrofVsNc790

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-books-alan-dean-foster-disney-royalties/

Disney being arses.   I had several of ADF's novelisations on my shelves in the distant past.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Steph

Picked up on that one, and was amused by an exchange in the comments:

'Walt wasn't like that!'

'Walt WAS like that, just covered it up well'

Cudzoziemiec

Back to censorship etc for a second, the other day I was watching the Office (American version) with my son. There was an episode where one character gives another the finger and this had been pixellated out. Whether for the original US TV audience or for the River of Evil Prime audience we were part of, I don't know, but it seemed an odd thing to do.

What is it about ensemble charidee records (the most recent example of the genre being the Ch*ldren *n N**d cover of Oasis' Stop Crying Your Heart Out) that is so detestable?  Perhaps it's that every performer is trying to stand out, so you get them showing off with their ludicruous vocal gymnastic warblings?  I blame Cyndi Lauper for her part in We Are The World (2:55 here), starting this shit off...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
What is it about ensemble charidee records (the most recent example of the genre being the Ch*ldren *n N**d cover of Oasis' Stop Crying Your Heart Out) that is so detestable?  Perhaps it's that every performer is trying to stand out, so you get them showing off with their ludicruous vocal gymnastic warblings?  I blame Cyndi Lauper for her part in We Are The World (2:55 here), starting this shit off...

Ultimate irony for me was hearing a French school choir singing "Another Brick in the Wall".  :sick:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Oh, children singing on records, DON'T GET ME STARTED!  :demon:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Oh, children singing on records, DON'T GET ME STARTED!  :demon:

Exhibit A for the prosecution.  “Mother Of Mine” by Neil Reid.  We intend to press for the DETH penalty.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime