Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254127 times)

Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #1000 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:14:34 pm »
Here we go, a local route entirely in Hertfordshire.  A 53km route that could be done as out and back (with small mods to prevent going over 2km of road twice in same direction) to get over 100km.  With 847m of ascent, according to bikehike.  Works out at 15.92m per 100km.  About 2km of roads you go over twice, but in opposite directions.

I might try this out, this coming week, and see what my barometric GPS says is the figure.  Anyway, another potential AAA in Hertfordshire.

« Reply #1001 on: 02 January, 2021, 04:43:58 pm »
Looking good Phil. The start is close enough to me to ride from home as a 200km.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #1002 on: 02 January, 2021, 05:36:56 pm »
I might try it Monday.  I’m planning my Jan 200 for Sat 9th. So I’ll want fresh legs by then.

« Reply #1003 on: 05 January, 2021, 05:57:56 pm »
@psyclist I rode the first 53km of the route today with fairly flattish routes to / from home.  Overall climb figure of 14.93m per km. This is from my GPS which has a barometer for altitude.  So I’m fairly certain the middle bit I plotted will exceed 15m / km. it’s  in line with what bike hike came up with.

Entirely in Herts though it does come within metres of Bedfordshire , just a hedge  separating them, at end of Luton airport runway.

One 17%, one 15%, one 11%, two 10%, and numerous 6-7% hills.

So definitely looking good for you to incorporate, once audax restarts again. Not as complex as it looks, as this includes my to and from which intersected the route.

« Reply #1004 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:40:25 pm »
@psyclist I rode the first 53km of the route today with fairly flattish routes to / from home.  Overall climb figure of 14.93m per km.

Excellent news, thank you. Do you have a link, or a gpx I could peruse? It will be a while before I ride across that way, but once the situation relaxes again it would be a good option as a GdS ride.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #1005 on: 05 January, 2021, 08:48:21 pm »
I’ll cut out the to and from and send you link to a GPX tomorrow. I’ll likely ride it at least two more times before audax resumes. So will have three barometric readings for the ascent.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #1006 on: 21 March, 2021, 07:24:23 pm »
AAA Milne calendar in July is cancelled I can't see things improving enough to facilitate the full service sociable event I usually run. It is of course still available as a perm with a max of 6 riders per day from 29.3.21

MSH might be on the cards for mid October but same caveats as AAA Milne  :-\

GdS

« Reply #1007 on: 22 March, 2021, 08:29:51 am »
2021 calendar events so far

11th April from Greenwich- The Shark 200km 3 AAA
20th June- from Cocking near Midhurst - "Sussex Midsummer Corker" 2AAA
16th October -from Chailey - Mid Sussex Hilly 100km 1.5AAA
16th October -from Chailey - Mid Sussex Hillier 100km 2AAA

« Reply #1008 on: 23 March, 2021, 08:48:08 am »
Aww man, miss living down south now! Nothing like the GDS in N. Yorks.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1009 on: 23 March, 2021, 11:09:28 am »
Just noticed the AAA rating on the Midsummer Corker... and that's going to be my first Calendar event...

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #1010 on: 23 March, 2021, 10:32:30 pm »
The Reliable GPX track can't be downloaded. Is this me? I'd quite like to ride it on the day that Auk recognises perms. It's a sort of rite of passage.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

GdS

« Reply #1011 on: 23 March, 2021, 11:25:08 pm »
The Reliable GPX track can't be downloaded. Is this me? I'd quite like to ride it on the day that Auk recognises perms. It's a sort of rite of passage.

works for me off the new website you need to unzip then open

http://www.aukweb.net/gps/mm01g.zip

PM if it still doesn't  :)

« Reply #1012 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:25:22 am »
I had trouble downloading a GPX from a calendar event recently, and it turned out to be a Chrome browser issue (which I haven't resolved). Tried it in the Edge browser instead and it worked fine.

« Reply #1013 on: 24 March, 2021, 07:35:21 am »
I think that this might be the Chrome 'mixed content' problem.

The workaround that I have used is to right click the GPS download link, select 'Save link as...' then select 'Keep'.

GdS

« Reply #1014 on: 24 March, 2021, 08:13:01 am »
yes I was using Edge

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #1015 on: 24 March, 2021, 10:02:53 am »
Helpful replies. Managed it now. Looking at the calendar and thinking.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

GdS

« Reply #1016 on: 08 July, 2021, 04:54:27 pm »
Due to uncertainty over Covid the Mid Sussex Hilly and Hillier are moving to an Uckfield start this year (McDonalds same as previous calendar Down to Downs) but still hot dogs at Staplefield  :P

Sat 16th October

« Reply #1017 on: 08 July, 2021, 10:38:58 pm »
Excellent, MSH in the diary for me then.

Not got a GdS ride planned for this month so next up at the moment is Tour of the Hills in August - wasn't expecting it to run but it is which is fab news.

GdS

« Reply #1018 on: 10 July, 2021, 12:05:21 am »
Excellent, MSH in the diary for me then.

Finish will be in a pub somewhere in Uckfield (if any are still open  :-\)

GdS

« Reply #1019 on: 26 July, 2021, 07:49:43 pm »
4 more events added  :thumbsup:

one of them is 1000k though  ;) no you don't get a Gd'O just for that

https://sites.google.com/site/grimpeursdusud/

« Reply #1020 on: 26 July, 2021, 08:39:23 pm »
London - Lands End - London and Dauntsey Dawdle (which has been awarded partial AAA points for the section from Bexley Hill to Pewsey) should both qualify?

LLEL falls into the Sea Lovers category of having most of its climbing packed into the further reaches of the ride though, but that's true for the ACME Grand as well.

“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

GdS

« Reply #1021 on: 26 July, 2021, 10:58:30 pm »
Thanks I just did a quick sweep of the active events will update  :) I don't scan every event nor rider for GdS eligibility I usually leave it up to the organisers or riders. Will GMC return for 2022?

LLEL falls into the Sea Lovers category of having most of its climbing packed into the further reaches of the ride though, but that's true for the ACME Grand as well.

I think that's true for all the 600 and above events, there's too much flat stuff between the SE and the next significant hills, but within the rulz

« Reply #1022 on: 27 July, 2021, 04:09:14 pm »
GMC is definitely not running this year, going to reassess it over the winter. It is a challenging event and having seen what state some people are in at the finish don't feel comfortable making it x-rated, but the thought of 40 odd riders coming round my house in the current situation is not that appealing either, and an even harder sell than normal to Mrs I. Trying to find a suitable venue in London that can stay open until 3am and not cost the earth is tricky, but have got a potential one in mind, just need to see if I can make it work.

On a more personal level, it's annoying that I'm not running it this year, as would have a (fixed) GdS SR with The Shark, DD and LLEL in the bag. I guess ECEing Mid Sussex Hilly(ier) up to 300km is another option for this?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

GdS

« Reply #1023 on: 27 July, 2021, 06:38:33 pm »
Yes Uckfield is a convenient ECE from That London with a lot of hills en route (more or less the exact Down to Downs 1.75AAA perm) if you want to add extra AAA

GdS

« Reply #1024 on: 27 July, 2021, 08:41:23 pm »
Yes Uckfield is a convenient ECE from That London with a lot of hills en route (more or less the exact Down to Downs 1.75AAA perm) if you want to add extra AAA

and with lunchtime hot dogs from "Mr Westler" Manotea  :P