Linked Events

• Friday Night Ride to the Smoke: 01 April, 2011

Author Topic: FNRttS (Oxford to London overnight), 1 April 2011  (Read 21157 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: FNRttS (Oxford to London overnight), 1 April 2011
« Reply #100 on: 01 April, 2011, 06:34:54 pm »
ETA at Tesco is 0345 and ETA at cafe is 0700.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #101 on: 01 April, 2011, 07:24:49 pm »
Unfortunately, I also am going to have to drop out of this one.  I've been trying to ignore a cold for the last couple of days but now I have a solid head and aching bones.  Riding home's going to be unpleasant, let alone a nighttime run.  :(
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #102 on: 01 April, 2011, 07:31:01 pm »
I blame you for my illness.

I am jealous as I was looking forward to this.

« Reply #103 on: 01 April, 2011, 08:48:36 pm »
I am at Didcot waiting for my 3rd train to Oxford :D
Looks like I am not going to be late this time!
The guard had a big row with some guy at Chippenham coz the guards van was already full and he wanted to get his bike on. I was quite glad the guard stood her ground coz there was already 1 extra bike squeezed in there and I was getting worried about my Sabbath getting scratched and bashed about in there.

rogerzilla

« Reply #104 on: 01 April, 2011, 09:40:03 pm »
Just looked at the sky and

MY GOD...IT'S FULL OF STARS

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #105 on: 01 April, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »
You are just rubbing it in now.

Really sad as it looks an awesome night.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #106 on: 01 April, 2011, 10:20:40 pm »
^  This.

Enjoy the ride everyone!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #107 on: 01 April, 2011, 10:45:11 pm »
Wish I was there.

If I am still awake I shall send Roger a txt saying "GO!" at midnight, and I suggest everyone else does too  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

rogerzilla

« Reply #108 on: 01 April, 2011, 11:01:40 pm »
Trains working tonight. 15 mins from Oxford.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #109 on: 01 April, 2011, 11:44:40 pm »
Enjoy the bike space.  8)
It is simpler than it looks.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #110 on: 02 April, 2011, 12:58:06 am »
Not only full of stars, but full of stars and NOT FREEZING F**KING COLD! :)

Enjoy!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #111 on: 02 April, 2011, 08:08:36 am »
i got halfway to high Wycombe and the chain broke  :(. by the time i had fixed it i felt that i would have had no chance of meeting you so i trundled slowly home  :'(.on the bright side i can try again next time  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

rogerzilla

« Reply #112 on: 02 April, 2011, 08:33:27 am »
Feline made it up Smalldean!

« Reply #113 on: 02 April, 2011, 09:39:26 am »
Smalldean = unfinished business  :-[ >:(

EDIT - Indeed, Thanks Roger - a great ride.

« Reply #114 on: 02 April, 2011, 09:47:39 am »
Smalldean=truly horrible even with a 28x34 gear ratio, but manageable - that's about 21" gear inches, wheelie territory!

Thanks for organising this one Rog!

rogerzilla

« Reply #115 on: 02 April, 2011, 10:46:26 am »
Some of the video is OK, basically the streetlit bits.  The camera can't quite cope with totally unlit roads, even when Steve Kish is in front.with his Light Of Many Suns.

No large wildlife this time, just an owl and lots of bunnies.  Among the two-legged variety of nocturnal beast, Thame was tame and the Cowley Road in Oxford was also quite well-behaved.  There were, however, about 12 policemen shoving toss-pots into vans in the centre of High Wycombe at 4am and I caught it on video.

No p*nct*r*s but a number of other mechanicals.  Pete's recalcitrant front mech meant he couldn't engage bottom gear on the Trice for Chinnor Hill so that was the end of his ride.  Steve Kish's left crank kept threatening to fall off but hung in there.  Jurek lost his glasses halfway down the switchback descent of Coombe Lane and they were promptly run over by at least two following riders.  He didn't dare go back for them.

Other than that, things went more or less to plan.  The toilets at Oxford station now seem to be locked after 11pm, which is a minor annoyance. There were a few new road surfaces and the new roundabout in Chinnor is quite useful because it marks the start of the climb.

Rider of the night has to be Feline, who has improved beyond measure since her first attempt last August and is also going to ride a "200" tomorrow  :o

« Reply #116 on: 02 April, 2011, 11:51:13 am »
Thanks for another excellent night RZ and everyone there! I did indeed make it up smalldean in 28/32 gear :D

I am really chuffed I cracked it, it certainly did make me breathe hard but no wheezing.
I'm just sitting at Paddington waiting for my train, having just been to Condor cycles for a good nose around. I arrived there before 9 and realised they don't open until 10 so I went and had a kip on a nearby park bench for an hour!

I bought some new gloves, socks and a pink Rapha cap :)
I was really tempted by an Assos vintage racing team limited edition jersey and cap set but at £135 I decided not this month!

78 miles on the clock now. Time to regenerate my mojo for tomorrow's audax!

rogerzilla

« Reply #117 on: 02 April, 2011, 01:42:03 pm »
What were we saying at breakfast about those people from Hoxton?

« Reply #118 on: 02 April, 2011, 01:51:17 pm »
Thanks to all those on the ride last night; you made my first forum ride a really enjoyable experience (until my front mech decided to stop playing).

Riding the trike up Chinnor Hill in the middle ring is an 'interesting' experience.  Some might even say "character building"!  No way that I was going to attempt Smalldean Lane like that!!! :P

But I made it back home OK, though not much before the rest of you reached Tesco.  Ugh!

Will now be sorting out the mechanicals; don't want that again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #119 on: 02 April, 2011, 02:04:45 pm »
Smalldean=truly horrible even with a 28x34 gear ratio, but manageable - that's about 21" gear inches, wheelie territory!

It's still horrible even with a 19" gear and a wheelie-proof bike.  Never Again.

Well done Feline!  You evidently have better lungs (and a considerably lighter bike) than me!

« Reply #120 on: 02 April, 2011, 04:21:38 pm »
Thanks to all those on the ride last night; you made my first forum ride a really enjoyable experience (until my front mech decided to stop playing).

Riding the trike up Chinnor Hill in the middle ring is an 'interesting' experience.  Some might even say "character building"!  No way that I was going to attempt Smalldean Lane like that!!! :P

But I made it back home OK, though not much before the rest of you reached Tesco.  Ugh!

Will now be sorting out the mechanicals; don't want that again.

Bad luck on the mechanicals, and thanks for meeting up with me and Fab Foodie for sausage and mash at the sausage place beforehand :)
My wild boar and pigeon sausages were awesome, and the apple crumble for desert set me up nicely for the ride. I still managed some egg sarnies in High Wycombe and a friend breakfast in London and yet I seem to weigh 0.5kg less than I did yesterday  ;D

What were we saying at breakfast about those people from Hoxton?

:P

You forgot to mention we saw the space station whizz across the sky at about 4.50am. Apparently there were also 3 shooting stars, but I didn't spot them myself. maybe I should get my eyes  tested, I last went 30 years ago (but had 20/20 vision then).

« Reply #121 on: 02 April, 2011, 04:23:18 pm »
Nice weather and good to meet you all. It was strange to be leaving the house for a ride at 11:30pm, but once we were out on the road it all made perfect sense!

Fuelled by my bacon sarnie I managed the 92km back to Oxford OK, although my rear mudguard did not fare so well from the rough surfaces on the run through Cookham/Marlow. The second I've broken on those roads in 6 months.

:o What are your mudguards made of?
It was great to meet you too!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #122 on: 02 April, 2011, 04:39:27 pm »
Congrats to you all.

And how to ignore this thread as I'm grumpy cos I missed a great night.

rogerzilla

« Reply #123 on: 02 April, 2011, 05:56:16 pm »
I had some SKS carbon-effect guards on my commuting bike, and they did exactly the same thing.  The thinnest 35mm guards seem most vulnerable to it because they wobble and flex more.  Mine usually went at a stress riser like a rivet or the clamp-on brake bridge.

I also forgot to mention that we saw a couple of probable audaxers at the Grand Union Canal, presumably heading out to Chalfont St Peter village hall.  Unlike everyone else who saw us on the road, they didn't think we were mad.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #124 on: 02 April, 2011, 08:33:50 pm »
Thanks from Big Chris and almost-as-big Steve to Roger for again organising such a top night ride.

This was Big Chris' first one and his determination to scale Smalldean Lane paid off - he just about made it with intelligent energy conservation up Chinnor Hill and  until the very steep bit of SL.  He (and I) thoroghly enjoyed it and he was 101% exhausted after we had ridden home. Although he's a big strong lad (18 stone, 6ft 4in ex-American Football player), as his usual bike rides consist of just trans-London work commutes, this was new territory for him.

I was fearful that as my left crank came loose twice that the spline had worn and that it was bottoming out but on stripping it down, it was found that there was at least another 3mm of tightening left, even when fully clamped between FT and murder tight!  Hoorah! :thumbsup:

Nice to meet a couple of new faces and see nice bikes – I think that I’ve come out in a titanium rash.  Pleased to hear that Lara also got up Smalldean Lane, although this was inevitable … one seriously improved lady. 

Despite the manflu, I didn’t feel too bad until I got home.  Sunday will be my day off.

Thank you again, Roger.
Old enough to know better!