Author Topic: Buying a trailer (whats best)  (Read 6300 times)

Re: Buying a trailer (whats best)
« Reply #25 on: 17 June, 2011, 07:39:03 pm »
I like the comedy shopping idea.

I have a large CF trailer for shifting compost & other odd loads including Little Annies for resuscitation training.

The brackets are attached to a Brompton & a Dawes tourer.

Usually I ride upright trikes. The brackets don't fit a trike axle but I could try on a conversion axle for my Longstaff conversion from an MTB. There is a bolt behind the gears.

The trailer tow arm still fouls the inside of the drive wheel on left turns.

Anyone tried the CF trailer on a conversion axle?

« Reply #26 on: 02 July, 2011, 08:45:47 pm »
Quick update, have now used the trailer for a few runs out to our local Asda.
I had to changed the original tyres for something a bit more robust.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: 02 July, 2011, 08:52:03 pm »
... Large Carry Freedom Y-Trailer ... capable of carrying 90kg ...

Just make sure that the load on the trailer is not heavier than the rider as the bike's rear wheel can lift off the ground when braking, leading to jack-knifing.

Don't ask me how I know this.  :facepalm:

Or me...

Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #28 on: 03 July, 2011, 09:30:19 pm »
Just make sure that the load on the trailer is not heavier than the rider as the bike's rear wheel can lift off the ground when braking, leading to jack-knifing.

Don't ask me how I know this.  :facepalm:

Or me...

[ img width=640 height=480 ]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/vicechair/IMG_7066.jpg[ /img ]
^^ Thassa Columbus.  My trailer is one of those, but I attach the tow-hook to the seatpost rather than the back of the rear rack.

Even with a heavy load, the back wheel of the towing vehicle will not lift if the towbar is being weighted DOWN.  So make sure the load is forward of the wheels, and the towbar is trying to fall, not rise.  Elsewise snaking will occur, whether under braking or power.

So, for the supermarket run, the vino and tinnies go at the FRONT, and the loo-roll and crisps go at the BACK.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 03 July, 2011, 09:32:23 pm »
With no brakes on the trailer, heavy braking can lift the bike's rear wheel, particularly if using a high (seatpost) hitch.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #30 on: 04 July, 2011, 08:33:28 am »
I'm interested in one too, for the supermarket run. I really need to either equip a bike with a hefty rack and decent panniers (the best I have at the moment is a single Carradice Bike Bureau - lovely for commuting but not much good for bulky shopping), or get a trailer.

Having a look at eBay, I came across this. What could possibly go wrong?  :)

« Reply #31 on: 04 July, 2011, 08:56:02 am »
I think the phrase

They also pass European laws and many Countries' Laws for maximum allowed Watts because the motor is not attached to the bike frame or wheels of the bicycle.

is a bit optimistic, and possibly downright misleading.

In the UK, if it's not covered by the Electrical Bicycle regs, then it's not a bicycle, it's a motor vehicle, and it'll only be legal if you've got things like type certification, MOT, VED, Insurance, a driving licence and so forth (most of which would be impossible with this setup).

Now, it's highly unlikely you'd get stopped and be prosecuted, but suggesting that this is a public road legal arrangement is almost certainly wrong.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #32 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:20:35 am »
I know  :) And the thought of something attached to a trailer pushing me along at a claimed 45km/h is quite terrifying!

« Reply #33 on: 04 July, 2011, 09:42:02 am »
That as well, and with some extra, unbraked mass, an emergency stop could be "interesting" !
Actually, it is rocket science.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #34 on: 04 July, 2011, 10:03:26 am »
Ooh, trailers.

One of my clubmates has a carry freedom one and enjoyed the tour he did from Dundee to Devon (in about 6 days!)

I have built a couple in the past.

The small and cute..

img112 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

and worf, the cling-on though I typically use 20" rather than 26" wheels now.

Cycle trailer by davidmamartin, on Flickr

The big problem with worf was building the frame. It is a space frame constructed from 12mm steel tube and rather a lot of mitred joints and poor brazing (Bicycle Repair Man look away now). It took a long time, but kept me busy. The trailer does take over 100kg though. Four standard curver boxes does a family shop quite happily.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #35 on: 04 July, 2011, 06:26:20 pm »

I have a large CF trailer for shifting compost & other odd loads including Little Annies for resuscitation training.

In the 1990's I had a Trice with an old Burley trailer (ex hire from Rutland Cycles) I was also instructing first aid, and a full size "Annie" can fit into the trailer... used to get some funy looks!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #36 on: 04 July, 2011, 07:06:44 pm »
I know  :) And the thought of something attached to a trailer pushing me along at a claimed 45km/h is quite terrifying!

Since reading this post I gave myself a fright on a roundabout. Only doing 15-16mph, but took a 'gamble' and had to stop in a hurry - it's amazing the effect two heavy bags of shopping in a trailer have on your stopping distance.
 :-[
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 15 November, 2020, 04:08:52 pm »
HK’s venerable Bykaboose Gecko is gradually dying of fabric degradation after somewhat more than a decade of utility use, including multi-bags of compost. http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/bikestuff/byktip.html

The priorities are:
Quick fold for flat storage
Cheap
Lightweight

https://www.aosom.co.uk/item/homcom-aosom-elite-two-wheel-bicycle-large-cargo-wagon-trailer-with-folding-storage~5664-0005Y.html and similar (as selected by Domestique above) does the first two

https://mccraw.co.uk/2011/11/09/carry-freedom-y-frame/ does the first and last.

Anything else on the market that does all three.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...