Author Topic: Winter Boots  (Read 3858 times)

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
Re: Winter Boots
« Reply #25 on: 06 October, 2020, 02:33:58 pm »
Rarely, overshoes have openable velcro straps across the sole. This means you can put the overshoe on your leg before you put shoes on your feet. Then, relatively easily, you slide the overshoe down over your foot and shoe, and do it up.

Can anyone recommend some overshoes with this feature?
Grip Grab do these, I've got a pair of their heavy duty winter ones but I think they come in various weights, a lot easier to get on and off, some details here https://www.gripgrab.com/blogs/gripgrab-guides/how-to-put-on-zipperless-shoe-covers

« Reply #26 on: 06 October, 2020, 03:57:58 pm »
Rarely, overshoes have openable velcro straps across the sole. This means you can put the overshoe on your leg before you put shoes on your feet. Then, relatively easily, you slide the overshoe down over your foot and shoe, and do it up.

Can anyone recommend some overshoes with this feature?

The cheapo Decathlon ones are like that. The draw back being that they come undone fairly often, and from there the toe pops off and you get cold tootsies.

(My preference is for toe covers which offer 90% of the benefit of overshoes and can be left on when you take the shoes off)

« Reply #27 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:53:24 am »
Thanks all for your comprehensive set of replies! Much appreciated.

« Reply #28 on: 12 October, 2020, 04:24:18 pm »
(My preference is for toe covers which offer 90% of the benefit of overshoes and can be left on when you take the shoes off)

I tend to agree, I have neoprene toe covers (some ancient Adidas ones) for those cool but mainly dry days, and boots for cold or wet days. But then again, I'm not going to find myself half way round an audax when it starts pouring down, when a set of packable overshoes might be of benefit.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #29 on: 16 November, 2020, 12:47:23 pm »
And yesterday I could have done with overshoes! It wasn't cold or (I thought) wet enough to warrant full boots, so I went with the toe covers on shoes. All was well until half way round my ride, whereupon I came across some 20m of kerb to kerb water some 5-7cm deep.  It was a case of feet off pedals and coast, but I still got wetted shoes, albeit little (as I found out on returning home) penetrated the shoes. It did serve to cool my feet down uncomfortably however.

On returning home I had a rummage in the boxes of kit, and unearthed a pair of GoreTex branded full shoe covers with a rear zip- and a cut-out large enough for my MTB shoes (although a bit of a struggle to get on) and decent (3mm thick) rubber sole to the heel area.  I shall give them an outing the next outdoor ride this coming Friday.

Davef

« Reply #30 on: 16 November, 2020, 01:04:02 pm »
And yesterday I could have done with overshoes! It wasn't cold or (I thought) wet enough to warrant full boots, so I went with the toe covers on shoes. All was well until half way round my ride, whereupon I came across some 20m of kerb to kerb water some 5-7cm deep.  It was a case of feet off pedals and coast, but I still got wetted shoes, albeit little (as I found out on returning home) penetrated the shoes. It did serve to cool my feet down uncomfortably however.

On returning home I had a rummage in the boxes of kit, and unearthed a pair of GoreTex branded full shoe covers with a rear zip- and a cut-out large enough for my MTB shoes (although a bit of a struggle to get on) and decent (3mm thick) rubber sole to the heel area.  I shall give them an outing the next outdoor ride this coming Friday.
I got very cold feet yesterday after a similar thought process. I even had overshoes in my saddle bag and with hindsight should have stopped and put them on when I came to a flooded bit. Decided it is boots until the spring now.

Davef

« Reply #31 on: 16 November, 2020, 01:12:45 pm »
After years of suffering from cold feet, good & bad overshoes, a couple of years ago I bought a pair of Northwave Raptor Arctic GTX. Lord, I wish I'd bought a pair of these years earlier. Warm & dry like nothing else.

That's the good news, the bad news is that they are a right sod to get on, and to a degree off. That neoprene ankle collar that works so well when on, makes the boots very difficult to 'slip' on. It's a sit on the edge of the bed, yank, tug & curse jobbie. Once one however they are really comfortable.

Bottom line for me anyway; Expensive, but worth it.

Ah yes, that neoprene collar! I was convinced I’d mis-ordered when I got my pair, God, it’s a struggle getting them on!
Even more so after he little loop bit snapped off on one. Just have to remember to get up 10 minutes earlier.

« Reply #32 on: 16 November, 2020, 07:36:06 pm »
My recent Northwave Arctic purchase have 2 loops, one front, one rear. Really easy to get on. I have some Look cleated ones with the single loop, a real struggle. I must see if a second (front) loop can be added.

ETA: Well I’ve worn the Northwaves out on several occasions now, down to around freezing. Unfortunately, they’ve not kept my feet warm. That may be because, despite being the same nominal size as my previous Northwaves, they are significantly narrower.  :-\

So, it looks like they’ll be up for sale soon - keep an eye out on the sale thread! - to be replaced with some eye wateringly expensive Lake MX304 Wide winter boots and thermal insoles.

For spring/autumn temps I think shoes plus overshoes is the way to go.