Author Topic: Removing reflective tape  (Read 1266 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Removing reflective tape
« on: 10 October, 2020, 10:14:53 pm »

For RATN last year I stuck some black (reflects white) reflective tape on the fork of my bike. I did it in a rush, and it's not straight and it's really bugging me. I want to take it off and replace with new tape. Can anyone advise the best way to remove it without also destroying the paint work? I have IPA, Acetone, WD40, and nail varnish remover available in my box of fun and funky solvents, if any of them will help.

Thanks

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Removing reflective tape
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2020, 10:19:25 pm »
Can you warm the adhesive with a hair dryer? That way you may even be able to slide it so that it’s straight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2020, 10:21:05 pm »
^ This.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2020, 10:23:13 pm »
Can you warm the adhesive with a hair dryer? That way you may even be able to slide it so that it’s straight.

Depending on the time, my hair ranges in length from the centre of my shoulder blades to just above my bum. Yet I do not actually own a hair drier... I have a hot air soldering gun... and I have access to a hot air paint stripper... but not a hair drier...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2020, 10:44:23 pm »

Depending on the time, my hair ranges in length from the centre of my shoulder blades to just above my bum. Yet I do not actually own a hair drier... I have a hot air soldering gun... and I have access to a hot air paint stripper... but not a hair drier...

I own a hair drier.  It mostly gets used for heat-shrink.

I only tend to blow-dry my hair when I'm a) staying at the sort of campsite that has hair driers in the wash block  b) in a small tent  and  c) it's relatively cold and planning to rain continuously for the next n hours.

« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2020, 12:46:33 pm »
The hairdryer is the standard tool for removing self-adhesive signwriting on vans. I would not recommend using a hot air paint stripper, I have managed to blue steel with one warming a hydraulic piston to release loctite. I think the risk to the paint would be much too great with either the stripper or the solder gun.
Time perhaps to invest in a cheap sticker unsticker. Just don't call it a hairdryer if owning one would offend your sensibilities  ;)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2020, 01:13:46 pm »
Or a hot air gun with temperature control?

« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2020, 02:41:25 pm »
No need to hold a hot air gun at paint stripping distance. Just pull it back until you can hold your hand in the hot air comfortably.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:48:04 pm »
I've been told bu someone who is quite particular about the way his bikes look that Brasso is good at removing sticker residue, so probably it would work on tape glue too. I haven't tried it personally though. I'm presuming you can get something similar in Netherlands.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2020, 01:48:20 pm »
I have short hair. I own a hair dryer which is used
a) by my sister when she visits
b) to defrost the freezer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2020, 03:33:14 pm »

Do you not own a fan heater?  Much less hassle:  Prop heater on box pointing into lower part of freezer.  Close kitchen doors to contain the heat.  Come back in 10 minutes with the mop.

« Reply #11 on: 12 October, 2020, 04:16:20 pm »

Do you not own a fan heater?  Much less hassle:  Prop heater on box pointing into lower part of freezer.  Close kitchen doors to contain the heat.  Come back in 10 minutes with the mop.
This is a good idea.

« Reply #12 on: 12 October, 2020, 04:21:00 pm »

J

The hot air gun should be ok on its lower setting. I used it to soften the adhesive on the "vinyl wrap" on my car that a previous owner had applied to all the brightwork.  Followed up by a rub-down with "Goo-Gone" to remove any residue.

Apropos defrosting freezers, I put bowls of boiling water in and shut the door, then after a little softening had taken place, take an old steak mallet to the accretion.

The hair dryer is used to finally dry out the interior.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)