Author Topic: Wobbly nose on Brooks Swallow  (Read 1789 times)

Wobbly nose on Brooks Swallow
« on: 03 June, 2017, 06:10:17 pm »
The nose section rotates easily from side to side, which I think may be the cause of a really loud creaking/squeaking noise when climbing up steep hills.  The saddle itself doesn't seem particularly sagged and the nut doesn't seem to be loose (although I don't own a propriety spanner to check - have one on order).

Is this normal & if not is there any way to rectify it?
The sound of one pannier flapping

Re: Wobbly nose on Brooks Swallow
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2017, 07:26:27 pm »
Any open ended spanner of the correct size will do the job.

IME a creaky saddle with a 'loose' nose results in a broken tension bolt.   At least, that is what has happened on three B17 Champion saddles.

« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2017, 08:31:30 pm »
Any open ended spanner of the correct size will do the job.

IME a creaky saddle with a 'loose' nose results in a broken tension bolt.   At least, that is what has happened on three B17 Champion saddles.

On a Brooks the spanner size is 14mm (well it isn't really, it's whatever the corresponding BSW size is). I find that an open-ended spanner is obstructed by the edges of the saddle so I have a very cheap combination spanner with a slot cut in the eye to go round the bolt.

Idéale saddles are 13mm so I imagine that Berthoud saddles will be the same.

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2017, 09:30:06 pm »
the best tool for the job is a slim slotted bi-hex ring spanner of the correct BSF size. The Brooks tool is exactly that.

However the nosepiece shouldn't be able to rock from side to side over the shackle; there should be shoulders on the shackle that bear against the edges of the nosepiece.  If these shoulders don't engage this usually means that the nosepiece has opened up somewhat. With a steel one, I'd happily knock it back into shape, but with a Ti one, you are playing with a material that has less ductility, so would have an increased risk of cracking.

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 03 June, 2017, 09:46:49 pm »
Thanks all.  Yes, it's a ti frame - does that mean it's basically knackered?

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2017, 09:07:43 am »
there are several parts that might move and you don't know if the bolt is loose yet.  You need to identify exactly what is moving and way.

cheers

« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2017, 11:16:07 pm »
Well, the spanner has arrived.  Looking from the front, I started rotating the nut clockwise in small increments without any noticeable effect (turning it anti-clockwise just makes it come loose).  I've now reached 2 complete rotations.  The nose does seem slightly tighter but I may be imagining this.  The leather does seem quite taught but again I can't be sure.

Do I just keep on turning?  There are only 3 threads visible on the nose side of the bolt and about 2cm to the rear.

BTW it's probably irrelevant but the frame was re-covered by Brooks a few years ago.  The bolt hasn't been touched since then.

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:04:15 pm »
Well, the spanner has arrived.  Looking from the front, I started rotating the nut clockwise in small increments without any noticeable effect (turning it anti-clockwise just makes it come loose).  I've now reached 2 complete rotations.  The nose does seem slightly tighter but I may be imagining this.  The leather does seem quite taught but again I can't be sure.

Do I just keep on turning?  There are only 3 threads visible on the nose side of the bolt and about 2cm to the rear.

BTW it's probably irrelevant but the frame was re-covered by Brooks a few years ago.  The bolt hasn't been touched since then.
Tightening the bolt seems to have done the trick. Just completed a 1000k ride and no wobbling or squeaking. The extra tension has also taken the dip out of the top and my sit bones no longer bang against the back of the frame. It’s like having a new saddle!

To confirm, the only way of adjusting the bolt on a Swallow is with the proprietary spanner. I'd tried every conceivable other tool without success.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk