Author Topic: Woo - Woo, I LIke trains, Me!  (Read 1332 times)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Woo - Woo, I LIke trains, Me!
« on: 26 June, 2008, 09:45:49 am »
Hard to figure out whether this is Knowledge or folders fodder but....

Iff'n I were to take a folded bike on the train with me, what is the state of play regarding it being Luggage as it's folded. Would it need to be covered or what?
It's a Dahon speed TR and it doesn't fold anywhere near as small as a brompton.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Re: Woo - Woo, I LIke trains, Me!
« Reply #1 on: 26 June, 2008, 09:47:50 am »
I'm pretty sure you can just fold it up and take it on any train - that's what seems to happen round here anyway.  Not terribly popular when the train is packed.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2008, 09:57:00 am »
Some operators require the bike is covered, but in practice few people bother.  On a Brompton the chain won't touch anyone's clothes or the seats anyway, because it's inside the folded package.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #3 on: 28 June, 2008, 10:34:08 am »
The Dahon has the 3 X 7 gears so there is a nice oily rear mech' knocking about!
Would a totally lightweight (ripstop nylon) cover just to keep dirt off other peoples luggage be accepted?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #4 on: 28 June, 2008, 10:57:21 am »
When I had an Airnimal I'd take it on the train folded and hope it wasn't too busy. I kept a bin liner and some electrical tape in my pannier in case anyone insisted it was covered. No-one ever did.

Pedaldog.

• The Madcap!
« Reply #5 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:05:19 am »
I like the idea of bodge when necessary! Thanks for that idea!

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #6 on: 29 June, 2008, 07:47:56 pm »
In 10+ years of Brompton ownership, I've never had a problem on any train.  But the Isle of Wight Hydrofoil from Southampton to Cowes asked me to cover it up - and I'd left the cover back home in Derby.  Ooops.  So the next day, when I returned to the mainland, I took the (slow) vehicle ferry rather than the (fast) pedestrian one.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip