Author Topic: Women's sizing in cycling gear  (Read 2427 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Women's sizing in cycling gear
« on: 27 August, 2008, 08:25:46 am »
Trying to buy Mrs. Wow stuff is quite hard. My dear wife is what The Good Lady Wafflycat refers to as "matronly" and lacks confidence that the larger sizes of cycling shorts from most outlets, who seem to stop at a 16, will actually be large enough.

We've recently spent a good deal of money at Corinne Dennis ("designed by cyclists for cyclists"). Without wishing to seem ungallant about this delicate issue, what is the view of other ladies of the forum? It seems to me that the ladies' sizing system is full of inconsistency.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: Women's sizing in cycling gear
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2008, 08:49:59 am »
Women's clothing sizes in general are as inconsistent as a very inconsistent thing.

With cycling shorts I find that the largest size (XL) fits fine usually, however they can sometimes be rather see through  :o. I usually take Vern shopping with me to give a second opinion on the rear view.

The main problem that I notice is that cycling shops carry bugger all women's specific cycling clothing and what they do have tends to be in the 10-14 size range (S-L) and I most definitely need XL, so I get onto the web and discover the magic word *discontinued* next to a lot of stuff that Wiggle claims to be selling.

I'll be interested to hear how Mrs Wow gets on with CD shorts as I'm considering them next.

Fi

« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2008, 08:59:02 am »
Debbie at Minx will tell you if something is likely to fit if you give her measurements as sizes are inconsistent.

« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:00:21 am »
OK, so I'm not a lady, but ...

Whenever I have been instructed to purchase bicycle shorts for a lady they inevitably seem to be physically one size too small regardless of label.   

A further confusion seems to be that some manufacturers use S, M, L, XL, etc, and some use conventional sizing.  Some even use both!   I have in my possession a pair of Pearl Izumi's which are going back, labelled 10(S).   They are too small for the lady in question.

« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:09:18 am »
Agree with the idea that you need to go a size up from what you'd expect. So I am L or XL depending on the brand, item in question, and whether or not I resisted that last bowl of Ben & Jerry's.

Wow, has Mrs Wow tried Terry stuff? I think Minx sells them but you can order direct from the US too to access their full range, if you're prepared to run the customs gauntlet. They do plus size so something will definitely fit, and it's excellent quality.

terry - the first and last name in women's cycling

« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2008, 09:36:59 am »
Assos do women specific clothing (at a price!). The trick maybe to order an item and return it if it's wrong. Speak to the shop or look at the manufacturers sizing on their website. DONT buy something as a surprise unless you know it's right.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:25:16 am »
My bottom is usually too big for XL wimmin's shorts.
My bottom is not exceptionally big.
The widest part of my bottom measures 43" in circumference.
Try before you buy!
Big bum of Burnt Oak.

« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:31:03 am »
It's maddening, isn't it. Makes me very cross that manufacturers of women's cycling clothes clearly don't understand their market.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:35:20 am »
The Corinne Dennis stuff arrived this morning and on a "try on" basis has the Mrs. Wow Seal of Approval (Gold Standard). This is extremely hard to earn. The next test is to try it on the bike.

Thanks for the advice. We'll try Terry - but they do sound very like nappies. :o
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:41:20 am »
I have not worn CD stuff for ages but my experience ove a decade ago was not happy.
The waistband of the shorts was too wide for my comfort and a nice blue jersey dyed my erstwhile white brassiere when I rode an Audax ride with them.
Hopefully things are better now.

« Reply #10 on: 27 August, 2008, 11:45:06 am »
It's maddening, isn't it. Makes me very cross that manufacturers of women's cycling clothes clearly don't understand their market.

Actually a  number of manufacturers do. Assos,Giordana,Specialized,Castelli etc have women specific designs, often v.good but you have to find the item you want,like it,buy it,try it. Not everyone wants the 'Assos look' or a pink short-zipped sleeveless jersey

« Reply #11 on: 27 August, 2008, 11:54:03 am »
Maybe my backside really is just grossly outsize then  ;D

« Reply #12 on: 27 August, 2008, 01:04:28 pm »
I got a Corinne Dennis jersey cheap at Mildenhall. I had to get a 14 because on trying on the 12 I just knew it would ride up and be a tad too tight. There is no way I am a 14 in normal clothes.

In normal clothes I can sometimes fit into a size 10 on top. With Pearl Izumi a size 10 ended up looking like a crop top on me.

Minx is very good at letting you know if a particular garment comes up big/small.

fiendish

• Yummy!
« Reply #13 on: 27 August, 2008, 01:11:32 pm »
I had a red Corinne Dennis jersey once - nice jersey, shame about the (lack of) colour fastness!

I find women's cycling clothes a bit depressing: +1 to the having to go up a size (or two  :o).  Whilst I'm not quite matronly, I guess I'm nearer that end of the scale than the whippet end, and get quite miserable about having to buy XL clothes!

The other problem I have with women's cycling clothes is the designs.  Why do some of the manufacturers go out of their way to make things overly girly, you know embrodery, flowers, excessive amounts of pink and so on.  I just want cycling clothes that work and fit me, I don't want to look like an explosion in a lycra flower shop. [/rant over]

« Reply #14 on: 27 August, 2008, 01:11:58 pm »
Hi

Im quite pear shaped although have big boobs.  :-X Anyway I have found some brands that are more generous than others.

Scott - Ive found all their shorts wonderful. I have both scott contessa shorts in a X large (they are shorter in the leg so good for the more petite too) I also have some race scott shorts these have longer legs and are smaller than the contessa but still a genrous size.

Northwave - Ive found these to be generous having both large and XL in them and they dont look over stretched either. Ive just got a jersey too and its hips to bust ratio is the most decent ive come across yet.

Pearl Izumi - Found that there jackets are definately cut on the smaller side but there shorts I found ov er sized, usually with the wait being too big in comparison to the hips, also quite long in the leg and pads which were over sized.

Altura - Found most of their items too large in large and XL The jackets were too big on the bust compared to the size of them at the hips, arms were also quite long.

Gore - Tried a jacket and found these very undersized.

Nike - Again another brand that undersize, I have a XL pair of shorts and they are a few inches smaller all round than the Scott shorts.

fiendish

• Yummy!
« Reply #15 on: 27 August, 2008, 01:17:56 pm »
Hi

Im quite pear shaped although have big boobs.  :-X Anyway I have found some brands that are more generous than others.

Scott - Ive found all their shorts wonderful. I have both scott contessa shorts in a X large (they are shorter in the leg so good for the more petite too) I also have some race scott shorts these have longer legs and are smaller than the contessa but still a genrous size.

Northwave - Ive found these to be generous having both large and XL in them and they dont look over stretched either. Ive just got a jersey too and its hips to bust ratio is the most decent ive come across yet.

Pearl Izumi - Found that there jackets are definately cut on the smaller side but there shorts I found ov er sized, usually with the wait being too big in comparison to the hips, also quite long in the leg and pads which were over sized.

Altura - Found most of their items too large in large and XL The jackets were too big on the bust compared to the size of them at the hips, arms were also quite long.

Gore - Tried a jacket and found these very undersized.

Nike - Again another brand that undersize, I have a XL pair of shorts and they are a few inches smaller all round than the Scott shorts.

Isn't it interesting how different our experiences of different brands are?  I have a Gore jacket and it's the only item of kit I own that is the same size as I'd consider myself to be in RL!  Admittedly it's now slightly snugger than it used to be (thanks to my post-baby bod) but it does still fit.

There's another rant - why do I have to be a completely different shape post baby.  Have had to replace a lot of everyday and cycling wardrobe!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 27 August, 2008, 01:29:24 pm »
I ended up taking a lot of my jerseys (mostly Primal Wear but some others) to the local sewing shop to get all the elastic taken out of the hem at the bottom - I like to pull my jerseys down past my waist (so they don't ride up) but the combination of elastic and me having a big butt meant they kept riding up to my waist all the time.
They are all a lot better now without the elastic. I've found the Primal sizing to be very good, on top at least. I wouldn't buy another pair of their shorts as they had a gel insert which takes forever to dry.

I did buy some jerseys from The Retro Image Apparel Company but the fit was pretty small. I bought the largest size they did and the fit was just right around the bust but the darn things just aren't long enough. I feel like I'm exposing my back all the time. Fine if you like having your midriff free in the breeze, but I don't.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #17 on: 27 August, 2008, 03:11:30 pm »
Im sure some companies have quality control issues even outside of cycling ive often seen 2 identical items in the same size be quite different when measured against each other.

Even within a brand some designs seem to be cut to different sizes even if they are meant to be the same.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #18 on: 27 August, 2008, 03:21:16 pm »
Women should all be stick insects  ::-)

Try motorbike gear, it even worse for sizing here but abroad seem to have stuff that fits normal women.

« Reply #19 on: 27 August, 2008, 06:45:23 pm »

Well that would be boring  :P

« Reply #20 on: 30 August, 2008, 11:41:12 pm »
I don't have too much trouble with cycling clothes sizes, as I tend to stick to brands that I know will fit me. Shorts I am a size 12/medium in Assos, Endura, Gore and Pearl Izumi.

When it comes to tops, it's a bit more confusing. I have tops ranging from medium to size 10 to large, depending on the make. The grey acf tops, for example, were far too tight around the arms, but baggy round the waist.

« Reply #21 on: 31 August, 2008, 01:47:33 pm »

Well that would be boring  :P

Very.  And, not so interesting as curvy ...   :P