Author Topic: Kidderminster Killer 200  (Read 2511 times)

Kidderminster Killer 200
« on: 07 September, 2010, 01:00:03 pm »
Is anyone else entered for this one?
O'LEL what have I done!

macthebike

• I think therefor I am.
Re: Kidderminster Killer 200
« Reply #1 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:41:03 pm »
Is anyone else entered for this one?

Did it 2 years back. 13000 feet of climbing, but scenically spectacular and enjoyable if you spread your energy evenly...They have`nt killed anyone YET.

« Reply #2 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:44:52 pm »
Yep, all systems are go.
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2010, 12:18:55 pm »
I'll be hoping for yet another dry day.

« Reply #4 on: 12 September, 2010, 01:14:07 pm »
Why am I here and not riding the KK?  :'(  Put a new chain and block on yesterday as I was well over the 1mm wear factor, rattly inefficient chain.  Rode at least 15 miles on it and it was fine, though I found I couldn't fit a second SRAM quicklink onto it which was odd, but not unusual as I think they're sh1te anyway.

Then on the first steep hill, after the ford, the chain snapped immediately.  Fixed it ie shortened it, got up the hill then a bit further on it seized up as I could no longer get onto the largest back with middle front, so took the chain apart to free it and carried on.

Then it snapped again a bit further on - SRAM quiclink had come apart.  That was enough, I put it back together and stayed on the smallest front cog and walked up the steep hills, coaxed it to Kidderminster, where it snapped again, walked it to the station and got the train home.  :(

The chain or rather 2 1/4 chains were from a batch I got from Two Wheels in Stourbridge a few years ago, they had suffered water damage as the shop is like a leaking shack and got a little bit rusty, I got 6 or 7 for £40 as 3 of my 4 bikes take longer chains than normal.  The same thing had been happening on my Xtracycle recently after I changed it, 2 identical snaps (where one side of the outer link is twisted outwards so that the pin comes out from from the attached inner link) until I changed the rear block too, it's been fine since.  I'll be taking it in for an explanation as something badly wrong here - was I given 9-spd chains perhaps?

That was the only leisure ride I've been able to do this year apart from work and airports, a perfect day for it too, it's a real bumm3r.   I think I'll go round to Kinver and back on my uni now instead.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 12 September, 2010, 06:13:41 pm »
I bailed out of the KK at about the same point for exactly the same reason a few years ago.  New chain, ridden to work and back OK, on the KK just kept snapping until I'd run out of spare links.

« Reply #6 on: 12 September, 2010, 09:38:11 pm »
My story for DNf'ing is not chain related but bizarrely GPS. I arrived with 10 minutes to spare got my card, nipped to the toilet came out and everyone had started. So quickly got the bike out and ready to go. Put the GPS on uploaded the saved file to which it said 100% complete but would not kick over. Tried it a couple more times and then decided to start anyway. As I was cycling I was tinkering with the GPS and not the route sheet and took the wrong way so came back started again and then noticed there was an 8km checkpoint. I got there 30 minutes out of time so my day was already over after 8km. I decided to cycle to the next control having caught up some time I got there 5 minutes past last orders so thought "bollocks" and took a leisurely ride back to the start.
O'LEL what have I done!

« Reply #7 on: 12 September, 2010, 10:28:55 pm »
Ah, maybe just a duff batch of chains - or I suppose just one of them being duff would be enough.  I was thinking of you MV and your other dies horribilis when you had a mechanical right at the start then another around Cleehill village, I think you skipped the first control to make up time while I thought I was keeping ahead of you after overtaking your flailing legs on the way to 50mph on the hill down.

Bigsy, pity you folded as I'm sure you'd have been OK if you'd carried on and made the next control on time, I did similar on the WMSG last year.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #8 on: 13 September, 2010, 09:43:55 am »
did this ride for the first time yesterday, very enjoyable, many thanks to the organiser and all the helpers. Cakes and jelly babies and orange squash were very much appreciated after going over the long mynd, soup and crusty bread at the end was really nice also.
Weather was also pretty much perfect, sunny but not too hot.
quite good to see there were actually a couple of kids doing it, hope they finished ok - pretty brave i would say at their age as it's by no means the easiest 200.

« Reply #9 on: 13 September, 2010, 10:05:44 am »
Another excellent event layed on by KCTC. Sorry to hear about the DNS/DNFers, that all  sounds rather like bad luck.

For such a classic event that is well organised, I was saddened to see a marked drop in entrants with only 35 this year.  Perhaps the two sportives in the area were soaking up the local club riders.  Most riders had travelled some considerable distance to ride the event proving that the journey is justifiable.

The weather was excellent on the day yet again.  However, there must have been some awful weather recently expecially around Clun.  The descents of the Kerry Ridgeway were muckier than normal and the road surface on the climb upto the Fidder's Elbow was covered by recent washout 'loose'.  Perhaps it was just me but that climb seemed particularly challenging this year!

Some great photographs produced of  the riders. Looking forward to seeing them all on KCTC's Smugmug pages.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #10 on: 18 September, 2010, 04:21:07 pm »
They were actually all 9-spd chains ie the whole batch I got from them - but that shouldn't matter apparently.  Anyway they took the rest of them back and gave me 3 new 8-spd ones and wouldn't accept any payment so I'm at least quids up whatever the reason for last week's debacle.

« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2010, 12:38:44 pm »
The kids both got around just fine  :thumbsup:

Harry - my 13 year old son - in about 11hr 45. And the other rider - 16 i think but i dont know his name - just after

I think they were both appreciative of the soup and bread after. Harry fell asleep in the car within a few minutes. So would i if i hadnt been driving

KK is one of my favourite events - excellent route, controls and organisation. A shame to see less than 30 riding, but i like to think it was a quality field. Maybe more next year - all showing off their Paris Brest shirts

Question now is - is The Elenith too much for 1 14 year old next apr/ may - the hills arent as bad - and mostly concentrated in the middle 100k - with an easy blast down the A44 after

thanks Dave and the team

jim