Linked Events

• FerrySide Fish Foray 226km: 18 September, 2010

Author Topic: Ferryside Fish Foray 200 - 18th September  (Read 3001 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Ferryside Fish Foray 200 - 18th September
« on: 06 September, 2010, 04:57:46 pm »
I am sure Richard Evans will enjoy your company on this excellent ride to Ferryside where you can enjoy locally caught fish and chips. 

You may meet me at the start (if I get up) or finish if you get back before Richard.

Richard has set up paypal entry for this one. So there is no excuse not to get your entry in now.

Re: Ferryside Fish Foray 200 - 18th September
« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2010, 05:02:05 pm »
Gotta start again somewhere, so I'll be there for this one.  The start of the road to PBP for me hopefully...
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2010, 05:03:45 pm »
Thanks for that reminder - I'm in too, now :)

Nice ride, this.  Fast on the way out, and a tad lumpier coming home.

« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2010, 08:25:07 pm »
No, I think it runs the other way now, so the lumpy bit comes first...
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2010, 09:03:25 pm »
Following secondhand info, I'm sure Richard is running this "backwards"...I'm sure Nuncio will be along soon to say yay or nay ( :-\). Unfortunately I'm not around for this one  :( as there looks to be a good crowd on this  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2010, 10:43:00 pm »
Yay.

simonp

« Reply #6 on: 08 September, 2010, 12:16:31 pm »
This was the ride where in 2008 (IIRC) a member of this parish ended up on the M4.

However, if the route is run in reverse that seems much less likely as the junction layout that caused it (which I'd remembered from the Gower Getter) will be far less confusing the other way around.

Quite a lot of dual carriageway for a 200k, I thought.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #7 on: 08 September, 2010, 02:21:09 pm »

Not reallly.  If you are on course there is dual carriageway approaching the Briton Ferry bridge (very quiet through empty Baglan industrial estate). In Swansea Fabian Way is dual carriageway.

The route is already over distance.  To avoid some of these the roads would need moving start further West eg. Bridgend and making the ride slightly hilly. Probably pick up some more dual elsewhere.
l

border-rider

« Reply #8 on: 08 September, 2010, 02:22:36 pm »

Not reallly.  If you are on course there is dual carriageway approaching the Briton Ferry bridge (very quiet through empty Baglan industrial estate). In Swansea Fabian Way is dual carriageway.

That was my recollection too, though I haven't ridden it for 3 years (I think) so I wasn't 100% on the route.

simonp

« Reply #9 on: 08 September, 2010, 08:09:18 pm »
Looking at my gpx file from when I rode it; total of 14km of DC - two short sections around Port Talbot, the Baglan bit, and the run to Swansea from there.

That seems like quite a lot to me; I understand why it's needed, though.  Sometimes, to get from A to B you really can't afford to go via C.

The bit that caught one rider out was at Port Talbot, at about 47km.  The routesheet just says (said) to follow the A48 for N km.  This is the kind of routesheet that annoyed people on the Manningtree 400 who ended up in Cambridge about 7 miles off route, because to stay on the A48 or whatever road, you sometimes have to apparently turn off it.

This is the junction (streeview):

Google Maps

If you look at the sign you have to turn left off the roundabout then hang a right to stay on the A48.

This is what you see as you leave the roundabout:

Google Maps

It's not actually very obvious that the road you want is that bit going under the viaduct.  It's not signposted at all, and it's much closer to the junction than you'd assume even if you'd noticed the A48 on the previous sign.

I almost got caught out first time on the Gower Getter.  I'd done GPS waypoints for all turns, but I had that one as E2 A48 as I couldn't tell from the OS map that it was a fork rather than a separate instruction.

However, it's not at all relevant if the route is reversed, though it might be on the Gower Getter.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #10 on: 17 September, 2010, 09:33:18 am »
See you tomorrow.

miniog

• aka IanS
« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2010, 10:48:14 am »
I was in the Ferry Cabin Cafe in Ferryside a few days ago and there was a sign up about the cafe being closed for a few days. I've got a feeling it may have been this weekend.

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2010, 10:51:43 am »
The control's elsewhere this time,  isn't it ?

edit: White Lion Hotel

mmullin

« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2010, 10:54:43 am »
Has anybody got a GPX track they could send me for this ride?

Many thanks

Martyn

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2010, 02:59:26 pm »
:thumbsup: