Author Topic: Robust Etrex GPS Mount (HOWTO)  (Read 31673 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Robust Etrex GPS Mount (HOWTO)
« Reply #25 on: 18 April, 2009, 12:58:44 pm »
A standard USB power lead will do provided it meets the voltage standard (some don't).  Garmin will try and sell you one for about £25.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #26 on: 18 April, 2009, 03:35:15 pm »
Shock-absorbing mounting system, using RAM cradles
Softplate.nl

Edit:

RAM now also do a quick-release handlebar mount for their normal GPS cradles, so no drilling/filing required.
https://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod4137.html?OrdIDEnc=e2f97dd22abb39d4

Part Details

Martin

« Reply #27 on: 24 April, 2009, 11:11:33 pm »
RAM now also do a quick-release handlebar mount for their normal GPS cradles, so no drilling/filing required.

potential and probably real problem with that on a handlebar stem is that the GPS ends up too far forward esp with an Aheadset and ends up nudging whatever you have got fixed to the bars (in my case a computer and a front light) in the end I bodged a redundant rear seat post light bracket to fit via a spacer into just the front fixing hole; very solid but still slightly too far forward; an adjustable platen is needed  :-\

the cottage industries that have grown up around these gizmos are truly inspirational; takes me back to the days of the old motorbike shops with their display cards of replacement handlebar switches reflectors and grips behind the counter

AlanW

• I'm a fiddler, I like to turn screws coz I can...
« Reply #28 on: 07 June, 2009, 09:41:40 am »
As a pending Etrex owner I first read this article with a great deal of interest.  

I looked at the mounts that RAM produce and none of them fitted the bill really, I wanted one to mount central on the stem/bars.  But I also wanted the option to add a route card holder, just in case the GPS went AWOL!

So off we went to the garage.   ;D

This is the cardboard template that I made first of all, I then cut out this shape in Perspex.  

The RAM holder (RAM-HOL-GA16) screws to the centre diagonal holes.  The little clips used on the Polaris MapTrap are then fixed the three remaining holes.

The assembly is then simply zip tied to the stem/bars.  So looking at the finished item underneath it looks like this

Looking from the side looks like this

From the top

"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 07 June, 2009, 09:46:54 am »
I bought the RAM mount but in the end went for the Garmin mount with some electrician's tape to stop it rattling.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

AlanW

« Reply #30 on: 07 June, 2009, 09:49:17 am »
So taking it to the next stage and to include the route card holder, I simply extended the Perspex.  But after I had made it, it was to floppy and when riding the vibration was to great to read the text...dam  >:(

So mark II went into production, this time made from thin ali sheet, then adding the Polaris MapTrap to the end of it.  

It has been used several times in anger now and it works perfect, result.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"

AlanW

« Reply #31 on: 07 June, 2009, 10:15:12 am »
I bought the RAM mount but in the end went for the Garmin mount with some electrician's tape to stop it rattling.

Before making my own I bought the RAM quick release mount.  But I was not happy about using it on my MTB and not really happy about it not being mounted centrally.  When used with the MapTrap mounted on a Space Saver bar, plus the bike computer, all of a sudden the handle bar area became very cluttered. :sick:

Hence the reason why I designed my own bracket in the end, keeps it all mounted in the middle and less cluttered  :thumbsup:

AlanW

« Reply #32 on: 07 June, 2009, 10:27:05 am »
This is the mark I, Perspex version that proved to be useless, thanks to to much vibration.  >:(

However, it will give you some idea of the scale in case someone wants to make a similar item?

oxford_guy

« Reply #33 on: 01 September, 2009, 12:54:16 am »
As a possible eTrex Vista Hcx, I've been reading this article with interest, as the one thing that's putting me off buying a Vista for my Hewitt touring bike, and making me consider an Edge 705, is the lack of a decent stem-mount for it. Ideally I would like to use the RAM cradle, but on a quick-release fitting, for easy removal.
Is there an easy to make (my DIY skills are lacking) solution to this and, if so, what specific parts do I need, apart from zip ties, which I have loads of? Thanks!

I would prefer a stem-mounted solution, but would consider a bar mount if that would work, but a) I have over-sized bars and b) I tour with a Vaude Aqua bar bag, so it need not to obstruct this, which limits my options a bit...

« Reply #34 on: 01 September, 2009, 01:15:25 am »
I refer you to my earlier post:

The questionable point about it is that it looks like it releases at 45deg, but the diamond adapter bit on the back of the Etrex cradle is as 45deg whilst the diamond plate on the back of the illustrated iPod cradle is in line.

AlanW

« Reply #35 on: 01 September, 2009, 06:43:09 am »

The questionable point about it is that it looks like it releases at 45deg, but the diamond adapter bit on the back of the Etrex cradle is as 45deg whilst the diamond plate on the back of the illustrated iPod cradle is in line.

This is what I purchased in the beginning, but I personally didn't like it.  In principle I liked it and its certainly worth buying just to try it for yourself.

But it does sit quite high on the stem by the time you add all the items together, RAM cradle plus diamond plate, plus QR handlebar mount.  It was to high for me and all looked rather flimsey

Plus (and I am being really picky here) the machining on the mating RAM swivel parts was a just little bit out, which meant that I could never get it to sit central on the bars.  To be fair, it was only a very small amount and most normal people would not have noticed or bothered about it. 

Hence the reason why I made my own bracket, coupled with the fact that I don't 100% trust the GPS, and therefore needed to mount a route card holder as well.

Its really not that hard to make and will take you less than an hour.  The hard part was thinking about how to do it.  :o

oxford_guy

« Reply #36 on: 01 September, 2009, 10:12:22 am »

Okay, I will probably order this and give it a go - am assuming I will need these parts only?:
and
https://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2394.html?OrdIDEnc=dc51ce77c6d2835e

Am thinking of also ordering the Garmin Large Diameter Rail Mount Adaptor (https://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2741.html?OrdIDEnc=dc51ce77c6d2835e ) too to see how I get on with that, I can always use this on my other bike, if I go for the RAM mount on my tourer...

I really like the look of the Softplate system (i.e. https://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod4324.html?OrdIDEnc=dc51ce77c6d2835e ), despite the price, and Alan W's mount, but my bar bag takes up the space on the handlebars next to the stem clamp that these require  :(

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #37 on: 01 September, 2009, 05:21:37 pm »
Didn't someone make a stem mount by 'adapting' a Garmin rail mount?  It looked quite neat.  Discard the bottom half of the clamp, and shape the underside of the top half to suit the stem, drill through and cabletie. 
The GPS is then still QR, just leaving the other half of the QR attached to the stem, which is a lot less in-yer-face than the RAM mount.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #38 on: 01 September, 2009, 06:20:13 pm »
Okay, I will probably order this and give it a go - am assuming I will need these parts only?:
and

That's my understanding.
Does AlanW agree? (he's actually got/had one)

« Reply #39 on: 01 September, 2009, 06:25:11 pm »
and

Yes, that's all you need - it's what I just bought and used today.  I like it because it raises the GPS up a bit, making it easy to read, it provides a bit of "suspension" for the unit, is secure yet easily click-on-and-offable.  Perhaps a tiny bit clumsy but tolerable.

« Reply #40 on: 01 September, 2009, 06:30:38 pm »
Definitely.  About 3 layers, taking care not to interfere with the latch.

The rattle seems to be the main contributor to the dreaded momentary-loss-of-power syndrome - by eliminating it the GPS becomes much more reliable.
And beware this rattle - on my Map60CSx, the holder eventually ground the little "ears" on the bracket down enough to cause them to snap when I hit a pothole - next minute the whole unit was teetering, restained only by the lanyard wound around the 'bars.

I now make sure there's a skim of Vaseline to avoid this wearing away of the bracket and I also tighten the bracket screw hard, to bow the bracket slightly and reduce the play between it and the cradle lugs. Not sure what this will do to the bracket life though....

It'll cause the bracket to snap when you're miles (and days) form home rendering bar-mounting of your gps impossible for the rest of your three week tour.   >:(

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #41 on: 01 September, 2009, 07:27:40 pm »
I find the RAM cradle is "quick release" enough for my liking - the GPS unit can be popped in and out easily and efficiently at cafe stops.
BTW, the main reason for using the RAM cradle in the first place was to "buffer" the GPS unit and not mount it using the Garmin mount which strains the casing on bumps. Big bumps caused enough strain to cause the contacts inside to momentarily go open circuit and switch the unit off. This has never happened with the RAM cradle.

« Reply #42 on: 01 September, 2009, 09:33:53 pm »
It'll cause the bracket to snap when you're miles (and days) form home rendering bar-mounting of your gps impossible for the rest of your three week tour.   >:(
Yup, that's what I too thought would eventually happen if I pushed my luck so I fabricated an adaption (?) to fit it to a nice robust USE Exposure light bracket. Trouble was, my "engineering" skills weren't really up to it and the plastic Garmin cradle fractured on a fast, bumpy downhill on last weekend's Spa Trek, resulting in yet another bodge up to struggle through the rest of the ride!

I find the RAM cradle is "quick release" enough for my liking - the GPS unit can be popped in and out easily and efficiently and cafe stops. BTW, the main reason for using the RAM cradle in the first place was to "buffer" the GPS unit and not mount it using the Garmin mount which strains the casing on bumps. Big bumps caused enough strain to cause the contacts inside to momentarily go open circuit and switch the unit off. This has never happened with the RAM cradle.
I've had that problem too. I returned my Map 60CSx to Garmin complaining about it and they sent me a new unit - good service! No comments about the cause though. I hope you're right about the RAM mount because I've given up on the homemade mount and ordered a Softplate system today!

« Reply #43 on: 04 September, 2009, 07:40:23 am »
They sent you a new 60 !!
My bodge solution - a widemouth drinks bottle with a window cut out in a handlebar mounted bottle cage. These things are low profile, easily portable and fairly secure with pipe foam padding. I have a Fly brand holder too but sits a bit high and plastic is kind of flimsy for off road.

« Reply #44 on: 14 January, 2010, 04:37:06 pm »
The GPS Warehouse website is not working any more. If you phone them they tell you to go here
   RAM HOLDER FOR THE GARMIN eTREX COLOUR SERIES LEGEND C & VISTA C RAM-HOL-GA16 (SKU 3753)
to get the RAM holder.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #45 on: 23 February, 2010, 09:01:25 am »
I have mounted mine like this. Works great. Now I am on a mission to find the hilliest route to work in preparation for the mille cymru!
Chief cat entertainer.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #46 on: 23 February, 2010, 10:03:29 am »
Possibly not robust, but the HAMA mounting system (as sold by 7dayshop and others) is fairly compatible with the back of an Etrex.  It sorta works straight off, and with some minor cutting/drilling of the Hama mount plate it can be made much better.  And they do a rail mount that can be turned through 90' so will work on bars or stem.

« Reply #47 on: 11 March, 2010, 12:46:06 pm »
Does anyone happen to know which RAM cradle to get for a basic Etrex H model?

Many thanks

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #48 on: 11 March, 2010, 02:31:10 pm »

« Reply #49 on: 11 March, 2010, 06:32:50 pm »
Many thanks indeed. Ordered.