Author Topic: ESCA 24hr TT - 21st June 2014 - semi-unsupported  (Read 14868 times)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
ESCA 24hr TT - 21st June 2014 - semi-unsupported
« on: 23 April, 2014, 04:41:55 pm »
Right - due to various reasons, it looks likely that my best-laid plans are going to go slightly off-course and I will probably not be supported in the way I thought.

I see there are quite a lot of petrol stations on the route - I've yet to work out which are 24hr.

Is anything else open or provided by the organisers? 

I've a couple of options (I hope) for leaving a bag of stuff with other support teams (with extra clothing etc.).

Anyone do this unsupported in 2011?  Any tips?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: ESCA 24hr TT - 21st June 2014 - semi-unsupported
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2014, 08:41:48 pm »
I was jointly supported with someone else, and had an unfortunate incident where due misdirection and differing speeds, I was at the opposite end of the course from my lights in her car when it started to go dark, so make sure to fit your lights in time for the night!  Fortunately for you, the course is compressed this year so 'other end of the course' isn't nearly so far. 

I think Simonb did it unsupported - he had the saddlebag for it anyway.  I think TG was unsupported too.

rob

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2014, 08:45:43 pm »
I've been and trained on the course a few times in the last few months.   On the Little Horsted circuit, which you do mostly in the daytime, there's a few villages and shops.   On the night circuit the best spot is the 24hr garage on the Boship roundabout on the edge of Hailsham.   The finishing circuit is thin on feeding spots, but if you head into Ringmer (approx 0.5 miles off route) there are shops and pubs.   You could also turn down the A22 where you join from Ringmer direction where there's a garage.

I now have a bike and helpers and 18 mths of training, but family issues may prevent me from riding.    Closing date is end of May so I still have time to decide.

Hope that helps.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2014, 07:10:28 am »
That is helpful stuff.

I do plan to go recce the course in the next month, and will check those options further.

Sorry to hear that real life is making things tricky rob, and I hope it resolves itself.
Right! What's next?

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:59:58 pm »
The experts on riding these things well without support are TG and Oranj who have done 7-point rides without help.

The key to it is planning, but it will be hard to get it right because you can't know how you will feel at 3:30am.  However, if I were you, I would not be looking to buy stuff on the way round, but would do this.

Go down and ride all the circuits as soon as you can so you know what to expect.  If you can, see if there are any TTs that use them and if so, enter and ride them.
Decide what you are going to eat / drink and how much of it you are able to carry on the bike.  Hence, how often will you need to stop.  Remember it is not going to be (very) hilly, so weight is not such an issue, you just need to carry stuff so it is accessible and reasonably aerodynamic - so carrying more to have fewer stops is probably better. 
Work out from the course / lap descriptions roughly where you will be at these times.
Go round the day before (easier with a car) and leave stuff in plastic bags at suitable places near to where your schedule tells you you'll be. 
Leave a couple of extra ones in case you ride very differently from planned, get moved onto the finishing circuit early, etc.

It's also worth contacting the orgs to see what they can offer / suggest but my experience is that it is often better to be totally self-reliant than be trying to find where someone trying to help has left the food and overshoes that you really need right now!

How many bottles are you able to carry on the bike?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 01 May, 2014, 02:22:04 pm »
It's also worth contacting the orgs to see what they can offer / suggest but my experience is that it is often better to be totally self-reliant than be trying to find where someone trying to help has left the food and overshoes that you really need right now!

How many bottles are you able to carry on the bike?
I would do this [bold] RIGHT NOW. 2 reasons:

- on the mersey course (which as we know is a very different config, and with a brilliant cafe at the central node) you can JUST ABOUT ride unsupported just using the event-supplied food/drink. Ideally you'd find a friendly 'neutral' support team as backup, but not necessary.

- by asking them RIGHT NOW it might nudge them to get their arses in gear i.e. perhaps doing more for the unsupported rider, and letting riders know sooner what is available.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #6 on: 01 May, 2014, 04:55:18 pm »
From what I've been told there wasn't any support from the organisers last time.    I'm not sure if that was the case but I was helping someone else that time so didn't really look around.

The ESCA is pretty compact for supporters.   I think my help will only have to move between 3 roundabouts that are 10-15 miles apart on the A22.   In 2011 I drove what felt like a very long way to get from the night circuit back to the finishing circuit.

The day and night circuits are just over 20 miles round so I'll probably just carry 1 large bottle and pick up a fresh one each lap.    The finishing circuit is 12 miles round so you can pick up supplies more regularly.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2014, 05:18:39 pm »
There certainly was support! I was in the village hall visited early evening. No idea about the rest of the route/day.

Your post illustrates the problem here. Organisers dont advertise the facilities - in the past, the old hands would already know, wouldn't they? - so new riders bring a support team. So organisers make food/drink less of a priority ... people post on forums "I don't think there was any support" ...
... spiral ...

I've seen the same at 12H events.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #8 on: 01 May, 2014, 05:30:51 pm »
Lots to read and digest here - thank you!

I will be riding the course circuits a couple of times in the coming weeks and I will contact the organisers and find out what plans they have.

In many ways, I feel a little relieved - there's a lot to think about first time around.  This way, I am totally self-sufficient and can work out how to use a support crew much more effectively for next time.  Damn it, I've said it. Next time. 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #9 on: 01 May, 2014, 06:03:27 pm »
There certainly was support! I was in the village hall visited early evening.

There was, but I think I'd have done better without it.
There was a bag drop to the village hall on the night circuit, which I put some food in and other stuff.
After about 10 minutes of asking people I found out that it wasn't there yet. No news of if or when it would arrive.
I decided to eat what was on offer, so more time spent. The portions weren't very big but I decided to get going instead of getting more food because I'd spent enough time already by then.
I got hungry on the next lap, so tried again for my bag drop, which had arrived and after about 10 minutes I was away again.

That was enough to get me through the night and I pressed on to the day circuit where there was the promise of water in a layby.
It wasn't there, so I ended up riding 6 hours on 2 bottles and couldn't get a drink until I was on the finish circuit. El Supremo to the rescue. I sat down and had a cup of tea etc, after all that messing about I was well off a PB anyway!

Lesson learned. Even if they do say that they will look after unsupported riders, I'll not be trusting them on that one again.

This year I'll put my own bin bags round the course instead! And mark their locations on my GPS. :thumbsup:

I reckon that travelling heavy (carry 2-3 bottles and pockets full of food) and riding until everything is empty and maybe then some, will gain you more miles than frequent stops. As soon as you put the brakes on to slow down to stop you are losing time That would work quite well on a compact course where you pass your bag drops frequently.

rob

« Reply #10 on: 02 May, 2014, 08:34:12 am »
I forgot about the Village Hall on the night circuit but remember having a coffee there whilst waiting for my rider to come round.    Fixedwheelnut told me there wasn't a bag drop but I think he was in a dash as he almost missed his start.   I sat at the El Supremo feed for a while.   I'll try to find out if he's doing ti again.

@mattc - I was talking to your Dad about this at the track on Good Friday.

I may do this only once as the trip to Cheshire takes a lot of time out of the schedule.    I can be at the start of the ESCA in an hour.   Still haven't entered.   I need to bit the bullet before the 27th.

Rob

« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2014, 09:39:59 am »
It was a very good event to ride Rob.
If I was only riding one 24 this year it'd be the Sussex. A better atmosphere than the Mersey IMO.

« Reply #12 on: 05 May, 2014, 10:09:26 am »
McNasty and I will be riding the ESCA 24 unsupported this year and will also be riding the Mersey Roads 24 but with full on support for the first time provided by  the McTaggarts. We will be riding the full 24 hrs this year and will also make sure we have fully functioning lights.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #13 on: 05 May, 2014, 10:51:35 am »
I shall look forward to seeing you & George again ( most likely at Prees Heath r'bout) & being re-acquainted with Lucy & Dick while I spend the night with Mrs. Eck.

« Reply #14 on: 05 May, 2014, 10:58:51 am »
Looking forward to seeing you again Jogler.

rob

« Reply #15 on: 11 May, 2014, 09:15:04 am »
Rode 2 laps of the night circuit yesterday evening in pretty breezy conditions.

There are also garages on the Polegate and Pevensey roundabouts.   The Pevensey one is on the course, but the Polegate and Boship services require a small detour.   I believe they're all 24hr.

Rob

« Reply #16 on: 29 May, 2014, 07:50:47 pm »
On the subject of support, last year I did the Mersey as my first ever '24'.  I rode unsupported but dumped all of my kit under a gazebo/tent at Prees.  There were a couple of guys there in a motorhome who were absolutely great every time I stopped.  They fed me, held the bike, and were generally great to see, smiling throughout.  Being unsupported maybe cost me about 45 minutes/15 miles.  I don't know what happens at ESCA though but have entered nonetheless.  This time I have a support crew - of sorts.  They've never done anything of the kind and have no idea of endurance cycling, except by virtue of being a wife and a daughter of a cyclist.  They will however have one, maybe two, cars and are up for staying up all night, perhaps in shifts.  I intend to brief them well about where to be but also carry a mobile phone in case of emergency.  If anyone desperately wants a car on course with some smiling faces to pass up a bottle or two then feel free to use my car/crew as a bag drop.
I'd be grateful if anyone could point me to a GPX/TCX file for the route if one exists.  Information seems thin on the ground.  Also does anyone have any projection of start times in so far as is it a similar lunchtime kick off to the Mersey?

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #17 on: 29 May, 2014, 07:54:18 pm »
I remember ESCA being the English School's Cycling Association - bit far to ask a school kid to ride :D

« Reply #18 on: 29 May, 2014, 11:11:05 pm »
I remember ESCA being the English School's Cycling Association - bit far to ask a school kid to ride :D

I recently found my ESCA coaching certificate.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 30 May, 2014, 06:27:19 am »
I'd be grateful if anyone could point me to a GPX/TCX file for the route if one exists.  Information seems thin on the ground.  Also does anyone have any projection of start times in so far as is it a similar lunchtime kick off to the Mersey?
Yes. it will be around lunchtime. The CTT website has start-times for all events if you want to confirm.

Not sure about the route, last time IIRC they were very late confirming it (totally new course then).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #20 on: 30 May, 2014, 07:11:48 am »
MattC: shows I'm no TT rider, didn't even think to look on CTT website.  Thanks.  Have cooked up a GPX myself using the map on the ESCA site and BikeHike course creator.  Just mapped a single pass over each road to get a feel for it.  If anyone wants a copy let me know.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #21 on: 30 May, 2014, 07:33:09 pm »
The entry list is up on TTF.

Marcus, it looks like your name's confused them so you might want to get in touch.

rob

« Reply #22 on: 30 May, 2014, 09:53:03 pm »
3 weeks to go.   Training gone a bit astray these last few weeks.   Been talking about it for 2 years so probably have to do it.

« Reply #23 on: 30 May, 2014, 10:18:26 pm »
The entry list is up on TTF.

Marcus, it looks like your name's confused them so you might want to get in touch.
Jill Wilkinson looks to be the main interest. Possible ladies championship record?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #24 on: 30 May, 2014, 11:13:32 pm »
I saw that.  She should do a stonking ride based on her 12 hour performances but I don't think she's done a 24 before?  She'll certainly have a good support crew though!

No Lynne Taylor either.