Author Topic: Mersey Roads 24 hr tt 2014  (Read 9611 times)

Mersey Roads 24 hr tt 2014
« on: 03 June, 2014, 04:13:58 pm »
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, I hope it's ok that I'm getting stuck straight in  :) I've been reading the past discussions about the 24 hour with a lot of interest as I'm doing it this year (yikes), it'll be my first one, myself and the hubby will be travelling over from Ireland for it, he's my support crew.  I'll probably have a million and one questions over the next few weeks.  The first one is, anyone here doing it this year?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Mersey Roads 24 hr tt 2014
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2014, 07:15:11 pm »
I'll be marshalling, so I'll see you at Prees.

« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2014, 08:25:13 am »
I'm planning to do it.  My second attempt.
Mr B, I'll look out for you at Prees!

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2014, 12:09:54 pm »
I'm in.  :o

It's my first one as well, so your questions will be of considerable interest!

No idea what I'll end up achieving, but I'm hoping to get close to 350 miles. As for prep.....my audax year has been royally screwed by illness so I'll be trying to do as many miles as possible, including a DIY 600.
Powered by Minions

« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2014, 12:34:47 pm »
Glad to know I'm not the only lunatic ;) Mr B you might have the phone number handy for the nearest home for the bewildered as I may need it afterwards.

Frank, how did the first one go for you? What is the terrain like? I know it has been referred to as a flat course but I recently did a 12 hour where a 'flat ' course meant 10,000 feet of climbing so I'm hoping Mersey roads flat means flat, not Irish flat.

Chuffy I have no idea what I'll achieve either, but finishing it intact will be good for a first one. Sounds like you're getting more miles in than me!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2014, 08:04:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum

I'm assisting with support for one of the Eccose riders otp.

There are several yacfers riding.

See this thread

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=82953.0

hth

« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2014, 10:41:32 pm »
Thanks jogler, that link doesn't seem to be working for me though, can you post it again if you get a chance please.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2014, 08:25:36 am »
It appears that I have mistakenly linked to your own post :-[

I intended to show this

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=68809.0

which relates to last year's event but would indicate the interest shown by yacfers.

This thread

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=81852.0

contains some references to this year's event although it is specific to a different TT

I hope that all that is clearer than mud :)

Bairn Again

« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2014, 11:42:37 am »
I'm in.

Was waiting to complete my audax SR before comitting, thats now done so its all systems go.

G.   

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2014, 01:31:05 pm »
Frank, how did the first one go for you? What is the terrain like? I know it has been referred to as a flat course but I recently did a 12 hour where a 'flat ' course meant 10,000 feet of climbing so I'm hoping Mersey roads flat means flat, not Irish flat.

Not a disaster but not terribly well, to be honest.  I learned that there is a learning curve to riding these things, and that I was at the start of it!  The main thing I got terribly wrong was my food and drink.  I also had some disruption in the last couple of weeks which meant I didn't prepare properly and had a couple of technical hitches.  If you're interested, my write-up is here: http://westerleycc.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/mersey-roads-24-hour-tt-21-22-july-2012.html

It's a pretty flat course.  The main circuit has only very gentle rolling bits while the shorter one has one hill.  The finishing circuit is a bit lumpier, but that will take care of itself. 

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2014, 09:57:16 pm »
Here's my report from last year, I hope you find some useful nuggets in there. 

The course is almost flat, a sort of gently rolling.  This is better than being completely flat as it allows you to move around a bit and keep the numbness at bay. 

Think about how far you want to go, work out how far that will take you around the course and what that means for where you'll want your supporter (answer: probably Prees).  Work out how much food you'll want and what that means for hand-ups: that will stop you either running out or spending loads of time stopping to take on far too much extra mass in the form of malt loaves.  Spend a lot of time in the tri-bars beforehand so you're comfortable staying there for hours.  Once you're there, enjoy the atmosphere! 

« Reply #11 on: 10 June, 2014, 11:29:00 pm »
Thanks for posting all of those links lads, I'm taking loads of notes.  The race reports are great, there's nothing like reading of other people's experiences to give you some idea of what you're letting yourself in for.  Frank I'm very relieved to see your total climbing for the 24 was 2000 metres, my climbing for the 12 was 3000metres and I wasn't covering near the mileage you were :thumbsup:

Here's my report from last year, I hope you find some useful nuggets in there. 

Spend a lot of time in the tri-bars beforehand so you're comfortable staying there for hours.  Once you're there, enjoy the atmosphere! 

I've been spending a lot of time in the tri bars and got a new set fitted last week that are a lot more comfortable, especially on my neck and shoulders, should help a lot. 

I was reading this article today, may have to rethink my race wardrobe..http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/video-loose-vs-tighter-jerseys-tested-in-a-wind-tunnel-energy-saved-time-gained-is-huge/  I'm not prepared to go skinsuit just yet though!!

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2014, 01:43:39 pm »
Ok - here's a proper newby question for you. How do you know you've finished?  ??