Author Topic: GPS functions in mobile phones?  (Read 6405 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: GPS functions in mobile phones?
« Reply #25 on: 25 March, 2010, 02:34:33 pm »
A better option is possibly Dahon's Reecharge ...

Except it doesn't actually appear to be available (yet?)

March supposedly.  I've made enquiries already.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 25 March, 2010, 04:49:11 pm »
One issue could be that many of the devices which you would want to power, have their USB connectors hidden behind rubber, waterproof covers.  Having them plugged into a power connector, whilst in use, will negate the waterproofing quite seriously.

This is something that annoys me immensely about the USB eTrexes.  The older serial versions have a proprietary connector which consists of four gold-plated contacts flush with the outside of the case, which, while still protected by a rubber flap, seem pretty decently waterproof.  Since the connector slides over the top of them, held in place by the shape of the case itself, this gives extra protection, and I'd be reasonably confident about using the thing in heavy rain.  The mini-USB connector is a massive step backwards in this respect, as it forms a nice channel for water to get inside the case.

Adding a suitably shaped rubber flange to a mini-USB cable might work well enough for an eTrex, as it would tuck in under the open cover, but I wouldn't want to try that approach on devices with more exposed connectors.  I think the pragmatic solution is to run on battery power when it's wet, and have the dynamo charging a spare battery in a nice dry bag somewhere.  Which is clearly annoying for most phones, and impossible for certain popular Apple products...

Inductive coupling is a nice idea, but waterproof electrical connectors are a solved problem.  And it's not like the devices we want to use have either...

« Reply #27 on: 25 March, 2010, 05:24:38 pm »
...The mini-USB connector is a massive step backwards in this respect, as it forms a nice channel for water to get inside the case.

Adding a suitably shaped rubber flange to a mini-USB cable might work well enough for an eTrex, as it would tuck in under the open cover, but I wouldn't want to try that approach on devices with more exposed connectors....

On my Active 10 GPS it would be difficult to waterproof the Mini-USB, since any pressure from rubberising would tend to force the connector out.  ... and additionally when the cover is open, there's a 3.5mm jack which is also exposed, and which currently doesn't really have any function (I think it'll be used for headsets, if and when they ever add on the functionality for things like voice announcements of POIs etc).

Ho hum, maybe they'll deal with this in the Active 20 or 30 ...
Actually, it is rocket science.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #28 on: 25 March, 2010, 05:35:40 pm »
OT - The voice functionality might already be there, in the Satmap.  It is in the Garmin 60 series, I think.  (Yes I know they only go 'beep' but they too have an audio-out connector.)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #29 on: 25 March, 2010, 05:40:55 pm »
Well Ovi Maps is now fee on Nokia (compatible) phones, in Brittany last Autumn we got lost and decided bugger the data charges (which turned out to be neglible) and switched on the voice directed A-GPS, I had it programmed to avoid motorways but allow unmetalled roads.
       It took us along a stone farm track and through some beautiful villages right to where we needed to be on a shortest route setting, brilliant.
       Back in England we used it at night (voice vital) to reach a pub/hotel riding in darkness most of the time, again brilliant.
      Fairly short battery life is overcome by a gadget from Amazon that uses an AA battery to re charge your phone, this is my answer as you can plot a route on Ovi on your computer.
      Hope this is of help.
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #30 on: 27 March, 2010, 09:46:31 am »
Several points:

I believe I phones are "touchy" about the charging source....  I know that many of the standard apple charger will not work with them

Data costs can be prohibitive, especially if maps are loaded as image files.. check your "fair usage policy" as many of the unlimiyted tariffs are far from that.

Memory Map does work well on phones as far as the mapping is concerned - simply load your map either from the "visible area" or a whole section.

« Reply #31 on: 27 March, 2010, 02:20:46 pm »
I can only speak as far as the Nokia 6210 Navigator goes
       1. Charging source - Nokia sell an identical device as the one I got and it works very well.
        2. Data charges -  the secret to avoid these (at least with Ovi Maps) is to download the maps you need off the home PC, any data used in using the GPS is minimal and I was pleasantly surprised when my bill came as I was fearing the worst.
         3. Waterproofing - With voice on the Nokia I stuff the phone in a bank money bag and then put in the chest pocket of my Cycling jacket, no problem.
          It all seemed to simple but there was no cycle friendly voice sat nav available with a good battery life/suitable for cycling, it took a long time to find the answers as all the companies (ie Garmin) seemed to think cycling was not a method of travel that needed/deserved Sat Nav with voice, that seems to be changing (hopefully)

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.