Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750434 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #4500 on: 21 October, 2013, 10:06:12 am »
I'm up for C.O.R. - perhaps if I can meet you all somewhere en-route, otherwise I'll just head straight there via Chelmo.

Depending on what suits others perhaps we could meet at Papermill Lock then do TMNH, the bridlepath across Lingwood Common (fast downhill), Grace's Walk and the A12 underpass etc as per Saturday.  Not massively original but fun nonetheless.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4501 on: 21 October, 2013, 10:14:11 am »
Yesterday we pedalled past The Horse & Groom, Galleywood.  It might make an excellent MEMWNS venue, perhaps this coming Wednesday evening?  The route from Witham affords us some excellent Comedy Off-roading opportunities  :demon:

What do we think?

The chap who lives at a rather plush house very adjacent to the Horse & Groom used to allow me to use his premises for teaching chess players - his daughters were amongst my protégés. I used to go on a Saturday morning and then toddle off to my parents' place for lunch, pockets stuffed full of £20 notes.

Writing that has made me realise how long ago that was. My parents sold their house in 2001 and moved in with us.

My brother and I used to visit the Horse & Groom in the 1970s. It is at its best on a balmy summer evening. Mind you, they were the really grim days for Real Ale and the fact that it was a Greene King house (it was probably a Grays tied house before that but their final issue of beer was December 1972 - DNAHIKT) was a great attraction.

Looking back, I think it says something about my staying power that I persisted with beer. So much of it was really dire in my formative years - there is much better stuff available in quantity today than there was then.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4502 on: 21 October, 2013, 10:28:56 am »
bobb, who is a font of knowledge regarding the Chelmo area, hadn't visited for some time so Wednesday evening could be a voyage into the unknown.  Assuming, that is, that the consensus is we go.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4503 on: 21 October, 2013, 03:58:40 pm »
Right then, Huggy and I have communicated by BBM and it looks like the Witham peloton will be leaving from the Spa Road roundabout at 7pm on Wednesday evening.  The proposed route looks something like THIS.

Warning: there WILL be mud  :thumbsup:

An SMS from bobb indicates he is planning on meeting up, I'm not sure where though.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4504 on: 21 October, 2013, 05:58:40 pm »
So....your eta at Paper Mill Lock would be...from 7.30 onwards? [Half-way to the H & G maybe] - I couldn't be there before 8pm if I leave Dunmow at 7, so I think I'll plough a lonely furrow to Galleywood instead.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4505 on: 21 October, 2013, 06:05:17 pm »
8pm at PML would be fine I'm sure. We can find some more mud in the meantime!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4506 on: 21 October, 2013, 06:07:39 pm »
I reckon that it would only take us about 20 minutes to arrive at Paper Mill Lock (22 mins if we catch the lights at Spinks Lane wrong).  So we could simply depart later for an 8pm rendevous at PML or all arrow to the H&G separately (except for me who will have to put up with OD of course).

EDIT: or as OD suggests we take a gratuitous route to get to PML  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4507 on: 21 October, 2013, 06:12:02 pm »
Tom, what's your route from Dunmow to PML?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4508 on: 21 October, 2013, 07:51:04 pm »
If I take the most direct route via the A130, the Walthams, Boreham, then Damases Lane to PML, that's at least 16 miles, so well over an hour on off-road tyres.....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4509 on: 21 October, 2013, 08:38:01 pm »
I will fettle the route and propose a new RV point.

« Reply #4510 on: 21 October, 2013, 08:55:40 pm »
An SMS from bobb indicates he is planning on meeting up, I'm not sure where though.

No, an SMS from me indicates I might be up for it, but don't know yet  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #4511 on: 22 October, 2013, 12:24:12 am »
I should be able to make it. I've started organising my appointments so I can sneak away early to stand a fighting chance of getting back home in time. Buuut, there's only so much comedic off-road value my tyres will take and if Tomsk is looking at those kind of tyres, I'll meet you chaps at the pub!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4512 on: 22 October, 2013, 06:08:32 am »
Slippy, don't worry, you've got time to buy a second bike  :demon:

No, an SMS from me indicates I might be up for it, but don't know yet  :P

:thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4513 on: 22 October, 2013, 06:40:40 am »
Here is a revised plan.  The proposed route for the Witham pelton is now 45 miles long and extra muddy so feel free to shout if you think its now too much.  Revised route.

If the plan gets the  :thumbsup: we could meet Tomsk outside the White Hart in LIttle Waltham between 7:45 and 8pm.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4514 on: 22 October, 2013, 08:43:43 am »
That works for me  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4515 on: 22 October, 2013, 07:08:11 pm »
Forget about the 9 Saturdays left for Christmas shopping there are less than 45* cycling days left before the Mid-Essex Chapter yacf Christmas Do :o
With that very much planted in your minds you are cordially invited to submit nominations for the 2013 MEMWNS of the Year trophy.  As tradition dictates nominations are secretly PM'd to the incumbent - that honour is mine until the evening of 6th December.

Please send the name of your nominee with at least 3 justifying reasons that person is worthy of the esteemed privilege of receiving the MEMWNS of the Year trophy at the Christmas Do.

The precedent has been set that the recipient does not in fact have to be present to have the honour bestowed upon them, however the trophy does need to be displayed in a prominent position in the abode of the winner.

NOTE: Nominating previous winners of the trophy should be avoided. Previous winners are - 2010 Tomsk, 2011 Oaky, 2012 Huggy

As a reminder of what is at stake here is the trophy in all its glory lovingly cuddled by Rudolph - musky pelt of destiny (or is it Morris the Moose?)

*Correct at the time of original posting

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4516 on: 23 October, 2013, 07:54:30 am »
More worryingly, what is it with the purple font?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4517 on: 23 October, 2013, 09:21:39 am »
Christmassey innit

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4518 on: 23 October, 2013, 09:26:00 am »
Right ho, I stand corrected!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4519 on: 24 October, 2013, 12:42:29 pm »
Yesterday evening was just lovely, really lovely.

Myself and Huggy did a bit of CORing past Troys Hall (between the Faulkbourne road and Fairstead) and then a bit more in Little Waltham.  There's a muddy path that bikeroutetoaster often highlights to Huggy so we decided to see where it went, but it didn't seem to go anywhere so we turned back and met Tomsk at the White Hart.

Contrary to the forecast the night was still and clear as we zoomed along.  At one stage we saw a badger but didn't collide with it.  After cresting TMNH we hung a right into the woods.  A sharp muddy ascent forced us all to take to our feet but after that we all stayed upright enjoying some exciting descents.

More CORing ensued before getting to the Horse & Groom, which is an odd place.  We were in the public bar due to it's hard flooring being more accommodating of our muddy footwear.  The pub was largely deserted, the music a bit loud and the uplighters round the ceiling kept changing colour.  Still, the beer was fine and the welcome warm.  We finally got kicked out shortly after 11pm.

Then off into the still, clear night which had developed a crispness to it.  Tomsk guided and towed us through Chelmsford then we parted company.  Huggy and I whizzed home, me getting in at about quarter to one.

Comedy off-roading, mud, lovely weather, beer and good mates - it doesn't get much better.

By the way, Huggy is going to organise a cheapo curry evening at the Indian Ocean in Witham.  Perhaps Christophe can also organise a curried sprout fest as well?

« Reply #4520 on: 24 October, 2013, 02:43:46 pm »
By the way, Huggy is going to organise a cheapo curry evening at the Indian Ocean in Witham.  Perhaps Christophe can also organise a curried sprout fest as well?

Indian Ocean used to do a banquet night on a Wednesday where you could get starter, curry, rice and maybe even a side for a tenner. Worth invesigating.
Curriesd sprout Fest will have to be Eastern View in Coggeshall. Would prefer a Friday for this as this probably would guarantee my attendance. Wednesday, as you've probably guessed by now is not ideal for me.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4521 on: 24 October, 2013, 03:00:20 pm »

Indian Ocean used to do a banquet night on a Wednesday where you could get starter, curry, rice and maybe even a side for a tenner. Worth invesigating.
Curriesd sprout Fest will have to be Eastern View in Coggeshall. Would prefer a Friday for this as this probably would guarantee my attendance. Wednesday, as you've probably guessed by now is not ideal for me.
A Wednesday is indeed the evening of pre-selection on account of
1. The traditional MEMWNS ride night
2. The Indian Ocean still do a Wednesday banquet night when you can order from the full menu 1 starter, 1 main, 1 side & nan or rice for £9.95 and it's right opposite the 'spoons where there is cheap real ale

Other days of the week or locations can be suggested and cogitated by the committee.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4522 on: 24 October, 2013, 03:07:31 pm »
A Friday Night Ride to a Curried Sprout seems like a cracking idea. When are we going?

Equally Huggy's Indian Ocean / 'spoons plan is superb as well. I'm not sure my digestive system could cope with both plans in the same week though!

« Reply #4523 on: 24 October, 2013, 04:11:55 pm »
I'm not sure my digestive system could cope with both plans in the same week though!

What's wrong with you?!?!?! It's a good job you don't live in India as you'd be having curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4524 on: 24 October, 2013, 04:13:42 pm »
I'm not sure my digestive system could cope with both plans in the same week though!

What's wrong with you?!?!?! It's a good job you don't live in India as you'd be having curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week!

Yes, I know, being Indian would be a real problem!