Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750528 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #5725 on: 04 November, 2014, 09:06:56 am »
For those that need it hope this link works
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/740270
route for this weeks ride

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5726 on: 04 November, 2014, 09:19:17 am »
For those that need it hope this link works
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/BRTWebUI/Course/740270
route for this weeks ride
The Flitch Way is neatly avoided I see  :demon:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #5727 on: 04 November, 2014, 10:35:19 am »
I was thinking a little bit to wet and muddy for 23mm slicks (could be fun)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5728 on: 05 November, 2014, 09:37:04 am »
I'm fully intending to be awheel this evening, assuming the customary 19:30 meet at Spa Road roundabout, I'll do my best not to get knocked off while negotiating it!  Still a little sore in the left ribs area and have of course lost some fitness so if I drop off the back I'll catch up at the pub(s).
(I do have an emergency electric shower replacement job this afternoon so if I am running late I'll catch up as above.) Job done :)

« Reply #5729 on: 05 November, 2014, 04:51:26 pm »
Looks like a cold and windy ride tonight see you all at 19.30 spa road roundabout

« Reply #5730 on: 05 November, 2014, 05:01:55 pm »
Are we bonkers, leaving a nice warm house for a cold and windy bike ride.................yeah probably !! ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5731 on: 05 November, 2014, 05:07:02 pm »
Just remember that winter miles count double!!   :smug:

« Reply #5732 on: 05 November, 2014, 05:28:24 pm »
Huggy, Boardman or Claude tonight ?  need advice !!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5733 on: 05 November, 2014, 05:39:19 pm »
Huggy, Boardman or Claude tonight ?  need advice !!
We're going to be on relatively dry roads this evening so no reason not go on Claude, therefore the choice is yours  ;)

« Reply #5734 on: 05 November, 2014, 08:41:13 pm »
Are we bonkers, leaving a nice warm house for a cold and windy bike ride.................yeah probably !! ;D
Yep....and I must harden up one day soon!

So anyway....any of you Fancy a round of Tomsk's Dick Turpins Day out ride at some stage this month? Need to get my 200k fix!

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #5735 on: 06 November, 2014, 08:34:30 am »
A great night last night and good turn out with, Oros, Huggy, Tomsk, Andy C33 and Trainmanbri (riding the Claude) all on the road plus Steve Everitt.
A cheeky pint of Witch Hunt in the Compasses where sadly Oros was unable to purchase his Compasses cycling jersey and then onto the King Billy where we drank them dry of Side Pocket for a Toad!
It was pretty chilly last night but the company was good and the roads were dry!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #5736 on: 06 November, 2014, 08:39:31 am »
A cheeky pint of Witch Hunt in the Compasses where sadly Oros was unable to purchase his Compasses cycling jersey and then onto the King Billy where we drank them dry of Side Pocket for a Toad!
No jerseys his size or none at all?

I'm going to make a special trip to KB just to get a pint of that. Side Pocket for a Toad, what a great name!  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #5737 on: 06 November, 2014, 08:54:23 am »
No jerseys his size or none at all?

They were unable to sell Oros one as the landlord was upstairs  :(

I'm going to make a special trip to KB just to get a pint of that. Side Pocket for a Toad, what a great name!  :thumbsup:

It will certainly be worth the trip! Very tasty if I do say so myself :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5738 on: 06 November, 2014, 09:07:42 am »
So anyway....any of you Fancy a round of Tomsk's Dick Turpins Day out ride at some stage this month? Need to get my 200k fix!

I need a 200 some time this month for the RRTY - could do Saturday 15th or 29th.

I'm working on the new Flitchbikes 200 route for August, but after that I'll do the Horsepower 200 route as a permanent - that'd make a good winter perm. with no infos needed and only the mid-section very laney.

« Reply #5739 on: 06 November, 2014, 11:49:49 am »

I need a 200 some time this month for the RRTY - could do Saturday 15th or 29th.

I'm working on the new Flitchbikes 200 route for August, but after that I'll do the Horsepower 200 route as a permanent - that'd make a good winter perm. with no infos needed and only the mid-section very laney.

I quite fancy the 15th but I thing we were talking of a night ride on the 14th although to be fair I am not so sure I am as keen to be out all night in the current temperatures (I know....all day is probably not much better).

Are you OK with the Dick Turpins Day out or can we ride the Flitch Bikes route to count towards the RRtY? I am happy either way.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5740 on: 06 November, 2014, 05:45:48 pm »
Not time to get the new FB route registered and cards printed by 15th, though you could do it as a DIY by gps.

I think we're still on for the night ride on 21st November though.

Dick T is good in winter - the first and last 75km on A/B roads, so easy to ride in the dark at speed and not worry about ice, Wally's for brunch, enjoy the laney-skoggy bit in the middle, but bounce Walsham and Debenham, then McD's in Sudbury on the way back.

« Reply #5741 on: 06 November, 2014, 06:18:34 pm »
 Another good night last night a good turn out for a cold ride. A few good pints were sunk some strainge names (side pocket for toad).   
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #5742 on: 06 November, 2014, 09:36:28 pm »
I'm planning on being out next week, I've had enough of work!

Would there be interest in heading to The Odd One Out in Colchester with a sneaky call into the Layer Fox on the way?

Not sure if it goes a little to far east. I am happy to put a route together if people are interested.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #5743 on: 07 November, 2014, 07:07:24 am »
I'm hoping to make it next Wednesday. I will definitely be slooooooooooow as my legs are feeling well flabby. Colchester is a good idea. There's a good COR route in which had me on my back a couple of weekends ago.

« Reply #5744 on: 07 November, 2014, 07:46:49 am »
. There's a good COR route in which had me on my back a couple of weekends ago.

Is that the one that brings you out a couple of hills away from Birch? Goes down a will over a stream then back up through the woods.....it's in the route and from previous experience should be 'possible' on 23's.

I'll get something posted up over the weekend re the route.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5745 on: 07 November, 2014, 08:44:02 am »
. There's a good COR route in which had me on my back a couple of weekends ago.

Is that the one that brings you out a couple of hills away from Birch? Goes down a will over a stream then back up through the woods.....it's in the route and from previous experience should be 'possible' on 23's.

Possibly.  The route I'm talking about is HERE.  It starts out OK but then you drop down to a bridge over a stream which is where the mud starts.  The path then climbs back up to a reasonable surface (not what Oaky would describe as a surface though  ;D ).  It isn't too bad.  I have done it on 23c a few times but did fall off the other weekend when suddenly me bike wasn't upright any more.  Not exactly sure what happened  :-\

« Reply #5746 on: 07 November, 2014, 08:51:36 am »
That's the one!

There is another Byway I know of but it would mean an outward leg of 26 miles which would probably mean not stopping at the Layer Fox and given the time of year I think the beer miles are good to get in.

I'll go and do some exploring this weekend.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5747 on: 07 November, 2014, 09:47:35 am »
The Odd One Out gets a big  :thumbsup: from me as its an unvisited Good Beer Guide pub.  Another one off the list!

As well of being a multi-award winning CAMRA pub the GBG says "The Oddie" stocks a huge range of whiskies (oh lordy) as well as the famous Nourishing Cheese Roll (their capitals).  Dogs are welcome (tippers can take the Killer Guard Dog in one of the pockets of his Barley) and there are strict rules regarding mobile phones.  The Guide also notes The Oddie has one of the best open fires in town.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5748 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:37:44 am »
Colchester is a rubbish place to ride directly home from, without using the A120, [though perhaps not too bad late at night] - I'd be happy to meet up somewhere for the lanes and C.O.R. but reserve the right to take the train part-way back....

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5749 on: 07 November, 2014, 10:59:26 am »
If I find myself in Colchester and need a speedy route home I normally ride to Marks Tey and join the A12 cyclepath.