Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750749 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #8600 on: 20 January, 2016, 10:46:21 am »
I might ride over to the Cats later. What time is your ETA? Feeling a bit jaded after 3 days commuting in the cold so don't fancy doing more mileage than necessary.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #8601 on: 20 January, 2016, 10:49:24 am »
I might ride over to the Cats later. What time is your ETA? Feeling a bit jaded after 3 days commuting in the cold so don't fancy doing more mileage than necessary.

Normal ETA is 9ish, when following OD's Garmin on one of these squiggly routes it could be earlier or later......  :-\

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #8602 on: 20 January, 2016, 12:38:44 pm »
I will be out tonight. Most of the roads around North Hill have been dry this week, a few notable exceptions, with the higher temp today the few icy bits that were about last night should melt. Cut a Thwart lane is flooded, avoid. Holybread lane is suffering from water flow along one side for a long stretch, was iced up last night but passable on the dry side. A few cross flows on Colam lane but not frozen. Haven't tried Tofts Chase or the Paper Mill lock sections - the later is often the last bit of road to dry out but is gritted. I have avoided Bumfords Lane on past experience.

The Retiree

« Reply #8603 on: 20 January, 2016, 01:34:54 pm »
I will be out tonight. Most of the roads around North Hill have been dry this week, a few notable exceptions, with the higher temp today the few icy bits that were about last night should melt. Cut a Thwart lane is flooded, avoid. Holybread lane is suffering from water flow along one side for a long stretch, was iced up last night but passable on the dry side. A few cross flows on Colam lane but not frozen. Haven't tried Tofts Chase or the Paper Mill lock sections - the later is often the last bit of road to dry out but is gritted. I have avoided Bumfords Lane on past experience.

Fanks BFC for the indepth road report ahead of tonight's meanders that should put OD's mind at risk allowing him to focus on leading us around the Octopus route.....  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8604 on: 20 January, 2016, 01:42:36 pm »

Fanks BFC for the indepth road report ahead of tonight's meanders that should put OD's mind at risk allowing him to focus on leading us around the Octopus route.....  :thumbsup:

I'd just like to point out, yet again, that I am riding tonight under protest - I'm being bullied!

I feel that I served my cold weather apprenticeship during the 2013 Easter Arrow (a ride no doubt etched on the brains of Oaky and huggy) so don't reckon I have anything left to prove!

The Retiree

« Reply #8605 on: 20 January, 2016, 01:44:20 pm »
I'd just like to point out, yet again, that I am riding tonight under protest - I'm being bullied!

I feel that I served my cold weather apprenticeship during the 2013 Easter Arrow (a ride no doubt etched on the brains of Oaky and huggy) so don't reckon I have anything left to prove!

It's very noble of you to join us particularly as chief reporter Ted has decided to no show  :facepalm: at least you will be able to provide a comprehensive write of the evening's events tomorrow  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8606 on: 20 January, 2016, 01:55:07 pm »
Didn't you know you're Deputy Bard?

The Retiree

« Reply #8607 on: 20 January, 2016, 01:55:55 pm »
Didn't you know you're Deputy Bard?

Oh mah gawd......

The Retiree

« Reply #8608 on: 20 January, 2016, 02:48:46 pm »
Ted's silence is noticeable today...... must be trying to slip under the radar with his non attendance this evening after bullying OD into turning out!  :o  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8609 on: 20 January, 2016, 05:01:22 pm »
Ted's silence is noticeable today...... must be trying to slip under the radar with his non attendance this evening after bullying OD into turning out!  :o  :facepalm:

Just so as you all know, you can bully all you like next week cos I ain't turning out.  I've just booked myself on a 90 minute endurance spin session at the leisure centre ... so there  :P

After over 6 months of having a lovely time purposely eating and drinking anything that didn't get out of my way quick enough I'm taking my new healthy living campaign very seriously.  And its working as I have already shed a few pounds  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #8610 on: 20 January, 2016, 05:27:24 pm »
Right my routes are planned using the gritting routes from ECC, so hopefully see you at Cats for 09:00 or just before.
Regards,

Joergen

The Retiree

« Reply #8611 on: 20 January, 2016, 05:59:49 pm »
Shouldn't be a problem next week OD as I'm guessing you won't suggest a venue or plot a route as you have 'advanced planned'!?
I'm hoping to make it for 7.30 at Spa but as there are no trains from L Poo street I fixed with death on the CS3 and am currently hoping to get on something from Stratford

« Reply #8612 on: 20 January, 2016, 06:58:38 pm »
I'm out. Been charged withe taking daughter no2 to gymnastics.. Getting mistier by the minute and roads are a bit damp now. Take care later on.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8613 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:12:12 am »
Forward planning note ...

Yesterday evening Doggers came up with an excellent conceptual idea involving Frinton, beach huts and bungalows.  Given that our little friend managed to swerve organising the Epiphany Do, despite being democratically nominated to do so ...

... and given also I am the Benevolent Dictator I hearby nominate Doggers to develop his concept and produce an epic adventure for us all to enjoy  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #8614 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:42:24 am »
It will be an honour  ;D Would the preference be a night or day ride?

A night ride is quite romantic riding along the promenade next to the sea from Jaywick to Frinton and is probably safer as all the residents will be tucked up! But it would rule out the beach hut as they don't have any electricity so we would stop at the bungalow!

The only other consideration will be what time of year as a day ride during the warmer months will prevent a ride along the promenade during the day as bikes ain't allowed but would allow a beach hut stop..... decisions decisions  ???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8615 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:50:59 am »
Bear in mind we can provide our own lighting and cooking solutions so the lack of electrons at the beach hut isn't a problem. Indeed some of us can even generate our own electricity!  We mentioned tents as well don't forget.

Personally I don't mind what time of year.

The Retiree

« Reply #8616 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:04:56 am »
Bear in mind we can provide our own lighting and cooking solutions so the lack of electrons at the beach hut isn't a problem. Indeed some of us can even generate our own electricity!  We mentioned tents as well don't forget.

Personally I don't mind what time of year.

Very true and cooking wouldn't present a problem as there is a two hob ring run on gas  :thumbsup: Camping however would need to be on the beach as the grass area at the back of the huts is on quite a gradient so would be no good for pitching up, however we have pitched tents in the bungalow garden before potentially front and back  :thumbsup:

« Reply #8617 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:13:30 am »
I'm not sure the level of decorum required to be welcome in Frinton would be achievable by the MEMWNS possy!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

The Retiree

« Reply #8618 on: 21 January, 2016, 11:19:39 am »
I'm not sure the level of decorum required to be welcome in Frinton would be achievable by the MEMWNS possy!

We could always leave Oaky and Ted in Jaywick  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8619 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:19:58 pm »
I like the idea of going to Jaywick.

« Reply #8620 on: 21 January, 2016, 12:51:00 pm »

We could always leave Oaky and Ted in Jaywick  ;)

Ah, you're appointing Oaky and myself as brand ambassadors.  Looks like a wise choice to me; appoint the people with the most decorum, style and general panache to front everything up leaving you ill-behaved rabble lurking in the shadows behind.

We will do our best to reach out to the good citizens of Jaywick but, having watched Benefits on Sea, I am not sure they are ready for bad behaviour on the scale that you lot exhibit.  Maybe you could try Jiber's heartland instead.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8621 on: 25 January, 2016, 12:48:14 am »
I've camped in Jaywick.   Strangely, the question came up independently of this earlier today as to whether I'd fancy going back.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #8622 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:12:27 am »
I've camped in Jaywick.   Strangely, the question came up independently of this earlier today as to whether I'd fancy going back.

Camping in Jaywick! There's an opportunity not to be missed!

« Reply #8623 on: 25 January, 2016, 01:21:32 pm »
The Colchester Winter Beer Festival starts this Wednesday.

It is at the Arts Centre though which may not be the best place to leave bikes.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

« Reply #8624 on: 25 January, 2016, 02:14:13 pm »
The Colchester Winter Beer Festival starts this Wednesday.

It is at the Arts Centre though which may not be the best place to leave bikes.

Shame OD's not out to play.... it would have been right up his street being so close to Colchester Town Station and not too far from North station either for the return  :facepalm: