Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750799 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #9750 on: 31 August, 2016, 11:11:13 am »
Can we put in a date to go to the Thatchers Arms next Summer?
there's advanced planning and then there's a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d...p.l.a.n.n.i.n.g   :o

I don't have any specific objection to  a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d...p.l.a.n.n.i.n.g, as iy happens.
True.  At least that shows some commitment rather than the casual drop in a plan for a week's time and then not turn up kind of advanced planning  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9751 on: 31 August, 2016, 11:17:47 am »
The other sort of advanced planning tends to end up with a schedule which people then don't think about for weeks and you go out to find that you're Billy-no-mates at Ye Olde Ratcatcher's Arms in Lower Piddling, nr Arse End of Beyond.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #9752 on: 31 August, 2016, 12:17:13 pm »
I think I shall propose a weekly schedule just to see if your prophesies of doom (various) have any substance.

Please feel free to let me know of any pubs you'd like including or indeed pubs to avoid.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #9753 on: 31 August, 2016, 01:06:12 pm »
I think I shall propose a weekly schedule just to see if your prophesies of doom (various) have any substance.

Please feel free to let me know of any pubs you'd like including or indeed pubs to avoid.
Didn't we try this a few weeks ago to link up with our further afield (potential) ACME fellows and we managed at least half of the proposed destinations and dates.

I have just been in to town on Vicky to test myself with a little utility cycling and have discovered that my man-flu has not entirely exited my body yet, however I plan to be out this evening if a little slower than usual and feeling slightly drunk even before any Essex Energy DrinksTM

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9754 on: 31 August, 2016, 01:10:04 pm »
This will be FORWARD PLANNING like you've never seen before  ;D :facepalm: :demon:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9755 on: 31 August, 2016, 01:11:40 pm »

Didn't we try this a few weeks ago to link up with our further afield (potential) ACME fellows and we managed at least half of the proposed destinations and dates.

I have just been in to town on Vicky to test myself with a little utility cycling and have discovered that my man-flu has not entirely exited my body yet, however I plan to be out this evening if a little slower than usual and feeling slightly drunk even before any Essex Energy DrinksTM

Ah,  but that was a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d...p.l.a.n.n.i.n.g, which mostly works.

Mere FORWARD PLANNING is the one that fails :)

Edited to add:  Here's the origin of my disdain for FORWARD PLANNING: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24967.0

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9756 on: 31 August, 2016, 01:35:02 pm »
The problem was that it was you that was doing the forward planning, lets be honest, your heart was never in it. I, on the other hand, have a cunning plan  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9757 on: 31 August, 2016, 01:36:02 pm »
The problem was that it was you that was doing the forward planning, lets be honest, your heart was never in it. I, on the other hand, have a cunning plan  ;D

OK.

Can I put in a vote for "Not Lowestoft", please?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9758 on: 31 August, 2016, 01:43:14 pm »
Funnily enough we passed a sign to the Poacher's Pocket pub at the weekend and I thought that one day soon we should repeat the California ride, possibly missing out a few of the key elements which featured in the inaugural event.  However we must certainly retain Lowestoft just for you.

« Reply #9759 on: 31 August, 2016, 05:42:40 pm »
I shall endeavour to be at the roundabout for 19:30. If I'm not there, I shall meet you en route. Probably at the foot of TMNH...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9760 on: 02 September, 2016, 11:04:32 pm »

Whilst I'm partaking of this watering hole, pic of new stands over the road..... FYI
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9761 on: 04 September, 2016, 07:24:02 pm »
Beers installed, if you bring your CAMRA card you get the special price, normal if you don't have a card....

Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9762 on: 04 September, 2016, 07:27:42 pm »
Do sandal wearers get a discount too?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9763 on: 04 September, 2016, 09:58:07 pm »
If ya is a CAMRA card carrier then I believe it is footwear agnostic...
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9764 on: 05 September, 2016, 09:08:45 am »
Early this morning (the start of the school term means that TCMR is getting up at 5:15am again [yawn]) I began the MEMWNS forward planning process, it's great fun  :thumbsup:  Some of you have had texts and messages, thanks for the replies.

A request ... please let me know if you are aware of any mid-Essex (ish) pubs who are holding events on a Wednesday evening (e.g. quizzes, beer festivals, bands playing, book clubs  :demon: etc).  I'm planning upto the end of March 2017  :o   ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9765 on: 05 September, 2016, 09:15:05 am »

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9766 on: 05 September, 2016, 09:20:51 am »
book clubs  :demon:

;D

Sorry Tomsk, its the only thing we've got on you so we can't miss the rare opportunity to take the piss  ;D

« Reply #9767 on: 05 September, 2016, 10:27:19 am »
For gigs, the following is highly useful ... underneath the list of gigs this week, you can select any month until July next year, and see what is on during any day of the week, including Wednesdays.

http://www.livebandphotos.co.uk/

This might be a useful source for filler weeks, when there are no book clubs or other exciting events happening.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #9768 on: 05 September, 2016, 10:35:16 am »
Some of you have had texts and messages, thanks for the replies.
I haven't!  Guess I'm not required for forward planning activities.....just have to console myself with the Velodrome trips....:sniff:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9769 on: 05 September, 2016, 10:52:28 am »
For gigs, the following is highly useful ... underneath the list of gigs this week, you can select any month until July next year, and see what is on during any day of the week, including Wednesdays.

http://www.livebandphotos.co.uk/

This might be a useful source for filler weeks, when there are no book clubs or other exciting events happening.

Thanks for the suggestion but it looks like Wednesdays are a lean night for live music in Essex.  Is someone going to be passing The Three Elms in the foreseeable to find out when that band of coffin dodgers is likely to be back?  The ones who couldn't play the theme from the Dambusters  ::-)

Some of you have had texts and messages, thanks for the replies.
I haven't!  Guess I'm not required for forward planning activities.....just have to console myself with the Velodrome trips....:sniff:

The velodrome - yes, I have just written that down!  Thanks  :thumbsup:  When are we next going???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9770 on: 05 September, 2016, 11:03:18 am »
By the way, how do book clubs work?  I know they are not really anything to do with a fruit bowl full of car or bike lock keys.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9771 on: 05 September, 2016, 03:01:39 pm »
By the way, how do book clubs work?  I know they are not really anything to do with a fruit bowl full of car or bike lock keys.

I think aprons are involved.  And mooli1.

1. Other root vegetables are available.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9772 on: 05 September, 2016, 03:18:55 pm »
If anyone has a sensible answer please don't be shy.

I think it might not be a bad thing that Oaky is exiling himself to the exotic Far East (Norfolk). I'm sure we'll miss him eventually but in the meantime we can get on with forward planning, CORing and following Garmin routes not tracks (1) without him constantly muttering under his breath.

(1) Mind you bobb is a worthy successor to dear Oaky. On Friday evening my Garmin deviated us from the track version of The Purple Path of Righteousness and I detected a note of dissension in bobb's comments. Of course Tomsk said nothing as he was navigating using the stars so couldn't have cared less what the Garmins were saying.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9773 on: 06 September, 2016, 11:28:35 am »
Probably just a brief visit tomorrow - I'm out three nights this week already, and Friday will be pretty busy too...Soupy might be persuaded to accompany me though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9774 on: 07 September, 2016, 08:15:56 am »
Just in case the Witham peloton fancies a more interesting route to the Chelmo Woolie this evening I offer THIS.  Highlights: the eastern escarpment of TMNH, dogging as a spectator sport followed by a little light COR.