Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750726 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #10675 on: 09 May, 2017, 01:11:50 pm »
Surely training is against the rules that we made up last week.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #10676 on: 09 May, 2017, 01:15:02 pm »
Surely training is against the rules that we made up last week.

Not so much training, more of a reccie to see where we need to start and stand for best effect.  The dog poo bin appears to be the best place :sick:
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #10677 on: 09 May, 2017, 01:21:15 pm »
We still haven't settled on a new date ...

"Paging Mr Beer Fuelled Commuter, will you please go to the vestibule and pick up the ermine covered, lace trimmed courtesy telephone.  We need to know when you're not on nights so you can win The Mighty North Hill Freewheeling Challenge on your most aero time trialling machine.  Thanking you."

« Reply #10678 on: 09 May, 2017, 04:57:14 pm »
I think Tomsk is planning on turning his Carradice into a Fish tank for this. I on the other hand, am simply eating more than I should and to give you folks a chance I will bring the trek in it's lightest configuration!

« Reply #10679 on: 09 May, 2017, 05:37:58 pm »
I reckon ACME's crack team of technical experts will be able to answer the aero vs weight argument conclusively after this.  Another triumph in the making for God's county.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10680 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:02:36 pm »
I reckon ACME's crack team of technical experts will be able to answer the aero vs weight argument conclusively after this.  Another triumph in the making for God's county.

It's something to do with the magic number 4 isn't it....  :D
Regards,

Joergen

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #10681 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:29:41 pm »

I thought the magic number is 8  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10682 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:45:04 pm »
The 'web' is a wondrous thing.... plenty of time wasting to be had here:

https://www.gribble.org/cycling/power_v_speed.html
 :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #10683 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:46:16 pm »

Umm... isn't it either 3 or, alternatively,  3 surely!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10684 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:48:18 pm »

Umm... isn't it either 3 or, alternatively,  3 surely!
;D  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #10685 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:59:31 pm »
Of course, what the educated person in the audience is now asking via strangely random mental connections is: what does everybody need for a pillow
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10686 on: 11 May, 2017, 07:06:49 am »
Well, there we go, that's me totally lost! At what point did we stop talking about freewheeling a bicycle down a hill?

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #10687 on: 11 May, 2017, 08:58:23 pm »

"Paging Mr Beer Fuelled Commuter, will you please go to the vestibule and pick up the ermine covered, lace trimmed courtesy telephone.  We need to know when you're not on nights so you can win The Mighty North Hill Freewheeling Challenge on your most aero time trialling machine.  Thanking you."

I'm on days for the following Wednesdays: May 17th and 24th, June 14th 21st and 28th, July 5th according to the current shift plan.

The aero machine with a not so aero rider (with rucksack) scores about 40MPH and almost crawls over the bridge. confirming the optimum place to stand and take the piss is on the non smelly side of the infamous red bin.
I can have a stock of cable ties and wire cutters available to bring to the event.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10688 on: 12 May, 2017, 07:48:45 am »
Our Indian International Super Randonneur will be in London from 28th May for the Asparagus and Strawberries 400km on the following weekend. I have extended an invitation to join us on Wednesday 31st. At the risk of undermining forward planning, the Donkey and Buskins isn't the most convenient venue for a train ride back - maybe a pub nearer to Witham or Colchester?

Or he might read stuff on here and decide it's not a good idea...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10689 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:16:25 am »

I'm on days for the following Wednesdays: May 17th and 24th, June 14th 21st and 28th, July 5th according to the current shift plan.

The aero machine with a not so aero rider (with rucksack) scores about 40MPH and almost crawls over the bridge. confirming the optimum place to stand and take the piss is on the non smelly side of the infamous red bin.
I can have a stock of cable ties and wire cutters available to bring to the event.

Bearing in mind the above from BFC Esq I propose TMNH Freewheel Challenge is the evening of Wednesday 24th May - how does this fit with folks???

As we approached Papermill Lock on Wednesday I looked out for the infamous dog poo bin and noted it was at the far end of a car park by the bridge.  It struck me that we could loiter in the carpark and watch / take the piss.  The gate looked a bit locked but I'm sure no-one would mind if we just climbed over it. 

Refreshments - could folks turn up with a few take-out beers for their own consumption?   Obviously we'd need to be scrupulous about taking our litter home.  Said refreshments could also provide extra ballast  :thumbsup:

And finally I think we should take up BFC's kind offer of cable ties and cutters.

Thoughts?

« Reply #10690 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:23:21 am »
 :thumbsup: Sounds good!

Only thing is....will we not all start at the top? Shall I Bring my Walkie Talkies?  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10691 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:27:28 am »
We need walkie talkies.  Not sure mine work anymore.

« Reply #10692 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:32:26 am »
Looking at Streetview the obvious target is to carry enough speed to get over the bridge and get the run out from the little hill off the bridge. Any bets on anyone making it over the apex on the bridge?

I'm going to KISS this one. The Domane with nothing on it other than me (which equates to about 18 stone so I reckon I'll be ahead of some that add ballast anyway) I reckon I'll pop on the 23 tyres at 125psi though!

EDIT:  And one more thing....Should we be creating a Strava Segment for this?  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10693 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:37:32 am »
Does anyone have else have thoughts on the date?  Once we have a consensus I will amend the Google calendar.

« Reply #10694 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:40:09 am »

How about using mobile phones and Skype?  A conference video call for live updates from the start and end of the course?

The date is good for me.
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10695 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:43:00 am »

How about using mobile phones and Skype?  A conference video call for live updates from the start and end of the course?

The date is good for me.

Well volunteered, you can be in charge of event comms  :thumbsup:  Can't you borrow some kit from work?  Perhaps the stuff that gets used for major incidents  ;D

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #10696 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:54:43 am »
Looking at Streetview the obvious target is to carry enough speed to get over the bridge and get the run out from the little hill off the bridge. Any bets on anyone making it over the apex on the bridge?

I'm going to KISS this one. The Domane with nothing on it other than me (which equates to about 18 stone so I reckon I'll be ahead of some that add ballast anyway) I reckon I'll pop on the 23 tyres at 125psi though!

EDIT:  And one more thing....Should we be creating a Strava Segment for this?  ;D

I would pay good money to see the competitions faces when you rock up in your Tiptree Velo skinsuit......  :thumbsup: right i'm off to Paddy Power to place my bet!  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10697 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:58:02 am »
Better still come along and take part!

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #10698 on: 12 May, 2017, 11:59:47 am »
Better still come along and take part!

Of course there are massive elf & safety aspects to consider here but would carrying two small children on board be considered cheating  ???

« Reply #10699 on: 12 May, 2017, 12:00:09 pm »
I would pay good money to see the competitions faces when you rock up in your Tiptree Velo skinsuit......  :thumbsup: right i'm off to Paddy Power to place my bet!  ;D
Haha...I have my PBP 2015 top which I picked in a moment of optimistic hope I would lose more weight. It would be ideal but there is a chance my arms will drop off before the end of the night.