Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750646 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #16100 on: 17 May, 2021, 10:41:46 am »
We had the "last supper" with 13 of us present at the Cross Keys in September. 

I have to say the Sun was good last week but it might be a bit eastern-centric. Ditto for the Totham Swan (incidentally, I met (tagged on the back of  ;)) a peloton of guys about our age last week who were out on a regular Wednesday night cycle which they said finished at the Swan).

The SH is the other option but us very-easterners have become used to arriving home before 2am.

Speaking personally I’d be happy with all the above.

« Reply #16101 on: 17 May, 2021, 11:03:55 am »
Be nice to meet up as one group, even if the weather does look a bit flaky this week - not as cold as it has been.

Sympathise with the late finish for the Easterners but anything East of Chelmsford probably rules me out

« Reply #16102 on: 17 May, 2021, 11:18:50 am »
Looking ok for me to be out this week, but not too late. Strong preference for outdoors.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #16103 on: 17 May, 2021, 12:14:57 pm »
The ideal mid-spot for West and East is the magic triangle formed between the A120, A12 and the Cressing Road.

That gives you:

Chapel, Coggeshall  BS 25
                                 WM 17

King Billy, Braintree BS 20
                               WM 23

Cross Keys, Notley BS 22
                               WM 20

and, no doubt, others.

The SH for me is the equivalent of the Totham Swan for Psyclist (and vice versa).
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16104 on: 17 May, 2021, 12:25:47 pm »
I hadn't expected such a rigourous application of science to determine our destination, I'm sure the relevant Royal Institution is preparing your admission at this very moment ted.

However, have you considered our need for decent undercover pub garden arrangements and the opening times of our venue?

« Reply #16105 on: 17 May, 2021, 12:33:06 pm »
I hadn't expected such a rigourous application of science to determine our destination, I'm sure the relevant Royal Institution is preparing your admission at this very moment ted.

However, have you considered our need for decent undercover pub garden arrangements and the opening times of our venue?

No, I have not.  I deal with EER's requirements in that regard.  I was merely advocating on behalf of you and I as the gentleman cyclists of this outfit who need short rides and early bedtimes.

I did drive past the Notley cross keys.  They did have some cover but it looked like it would blow away with one of Jiber's emissions.

« Reply #16106 on: 17 May, 2021, 01:28:29 pm »
The ideal mid-spot for West and East is the magic triangle formed between the A120, A12 and the Cressing Road.

The equidistant places are Stisted, Cressing, Terling and Boreham. Plenty of leeway during the summer months though, especially if we are still meeting at 8pm, so staying until 11:30pm is not an expectation.

I've not been to the Compasses for a while, and the covered outdoor area there is legendary.

« Reply #16107 on: 17 May, 2021, 01:32:27 pm »
FTFY

The equidistant places are Stisted, Cressing, Terling and Boreham. Plenty of leeway during the summer months though, especially if we are still meeting at 8pm, so staying until 11:00pm is an expectation.

I've not been to the Compasses for a while, and the covered outdoor area there is legendary.

It looks like another late night for me then.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16108 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:26:12 pm »
FTFY

The equidistant places are Stisted, Cressing, Terling and Boreham. Plenty of leeway during the summer months though, especially if we are still meeting at 8pm, so staying until 11:00pm is an expectation.

It looks like another late night for me then.

And me, but Easterners are made of stern stuff. I won't be able to set off until I've collected Fandango Junior from football practice, so an ETA of 22:30 is probable. :facepalm:

« Reply #16109 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:29:05 pm »
SH it is then  :thumbsup:, can somebody make sure we have an area of the Executive Covered Outdoor Catering Area reserved for 8pm.

1. Dirk
2. Fandango but very late
3.Psyclist
4. OD

« Reply #16110 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:30:49 pm »
SH it is then  :thumbsup: , can somebody make sure we have an area of the Executive Covered Outdoor Catering Area reserved for 8pm.

1. Dirk
3.Psyclist
4. OD
5. Nick

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #16111 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:46:06 pm »

1. Dirk
3.Psyclist
4. OD
5. Nick
6. BFC

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #16112 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:49:03 pm »
SH it is then  :thumbsup:, can somebody make sure we have an area of the Executive Covered Outdoor Catering Area reserved for 8pm.

Sounds like a job for me. How many tables? Remember, you'll be expected to hug anyone you see on arrival - thank God I won't be there...
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #16113 on: 17 May, 2021, 02:50:40 pm »

Sounds like a job for me. How many tables? Remember, you'll be expected to hug anyone you see on arrival - thank God I won't be there...

I've reserved 3 tables:

1. Dirk
3.Psyclist
4. OD
5. Nick
6. BFC

You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16114 on: 17 May, 2021, 03:45:14 pm »

I have to say the Sun was good last week but it might be a bit eastern-centric. Ditto for the Totham Swan (incidentally, I met (tagged on the back of  ;)) a peloton of guys about our age last week who were out on a regular Wednesday night cycle which they said finished at the Swan).

The SH is the other option but us very-easterners have become used to arriving home before 2am.

I thought we were doing the cross keys this week?
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16115 on: 17 May, 2021, 03:47:33 pm »

I've reserved 3 tables:

1. Dirk
3.Psyclist
4. OD
5. Nick
6. BFC

1. Joergen

Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16116 on: 17 May, 2021, 03:50:54 pm »

It's too far East for the Wimpy Westerners :P

« Reply #16117 on: 17 May, 2021, 04:00:42 pm »

Or lack of infrastructure.

I did drive past the Notley cross keys.  They did have some cover but it looked like it would blow away with one of Jiber's emissions.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16118 on: 17 May, 2021, 04:03:30 pm »

To be fair, what wouldn't!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16119 on: 17 May, 2021, 04:06:30 pm »

Cross Keys HP not Notley 
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #16120 on: 17 May, 2021, 04:31:47 pm »
Cross Keys HP - BS 25
                          WM 20

Maybe next week.  It would have some symmetry as that is where we had our September outing.

« Reply #16121 on: 17 May, 2021, 05:07:58 pm »
Sounds like forwarding planning is surreptitiously making a return ...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16122 on: 17 May, 2021, 05:11:08 pm »
I've reserved 3 tables:

1. Dirk
3.Psyclist
4. OD
5. Nick