Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750353 times)

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #16175 on: 26 May, 2021, 06:16:32 pm »
I hope to be out but won’t make the 7pm start, I’ll wend my own merry way.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #16176 on: 26 May, 2021, 08:16:45 pm »
The Sun, Feering 8pm - booked !  They have reserved "cyclists' corner" for us.

1. Dirk
2. Joergen
3. Tomsk
5. BFC

Actually I think I may have to pass this week, I'm pretty tired. I may have to bank some sleep and also have I mentioned that my back aches, my head is throbbing and my knees hurt?

Sorry, have a good evening.

"My legs are grey, my ears are gnarled, my eyes are old and bent."
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #16177 on: 26 May, 2021, 09:06:18 pm »
Have a great time, guys and sorryI have to miss this week!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #16178 on: 27 May, 2021, 12:03:35 am »
The Sun, Feering 8pm - booked !  They have reserved "cyclists' corner" for us.

1. Dirk
2. Joergen
3. Tomsk
5. BFC

Actually I think I may have to pass this week, I'm pretty tired. I may have to bank some sleep and also have I mentioned that my back aches, my head is throbbing and my knees hurt?

Sorry, have a good evening.

"My legs are grey, my ears are gnarled, my eyes are old and bent."

Ivan the Cat has hacked your yacf account!

« Reply #16179 on: 27 May, 2021, 10:53:42 am »
Oops wrong thread
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16180 on: 01 June, 2021, 07:34:52 am »
Any ideas for this week? Make the most of the long evenings and decent weather to Go Forrin - more miles, less beer?

« Reply #16181 on: 01 June, 2021, 08:31:15 am »
I had originally thought the Swan at Totham but happy to go further afield - just need to ensure enough outside space.

Anchor at Nayland ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16182 on: 01 June, 2021, 09:07:53 am »
Any ideas for this week? Make the most of the long evenings and decent weather to Go Forrin - more miles, less beer?

Given my current state of fitness (there is a plan  :thumbsup: ) fewer miles would be helpful.  That said, I'm more than happy to go back  to the pre-COVID format of a couple of hours of riding before the beers.

« Reply #16183 on: 01 June, 2021, 09:38:33 am »
I am happy with the concept of more miles less beer but would prefer the miles to be front-loaded.  Arriving home before midnight last week was a good thing.  Arriving home closer to 2am the week before was not.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16184 on: 01 June, 2021, 09:50:45 am »
I am happy with the concept of more miles less beer but would prefer the miles to be front-loaded.  Arriving home before midnight last week was a good thing.  Arriving home closer to 2am the week before was not.

Another vote for front loaded miles...

« Reply #16185 on: 01 June, 2021, 09:51:53 am »
Think its a no no for me again this week as I think I'm off to the cinema with my daughter on Wednesday evening.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #16186 on: 01 June, 2021, 10:07:46 am »
I’m not coming this week as I’ve “decided” to work instead. If we are looking for foreign pubs, I would like to try the Shoulder of Mutton in Assington and at 35km I don’t think it’s that far for Ted? But then again, I’m not coming…
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #16187 on: 01 June, 2021, 10:19:41 am »
The Anchor at Nayland is about 1km closer to Tomsk Towers than the SH is to Dirk's Digs.  Quite a bit of their beer garden is taken up by a plastic tent that doesn't count as outdoors though.  Not sure it is that viable.

How about:

Wed 2nd - Swan at Totham

Wed 9th - Shoulder of Mutton (42km from Tomsk Towers) (has it got covered outdoor tables Josser ?), somewhere central with a covered beer garden or an EER/WW split with EER re-visiting the Alma (33k from Tomsk Towers).

Wed 16th - Cross Keys HP (hopefully to mark the end of Level 3)

Wed 23rd - SH (hopefully to celebrate being indoors again)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16188 on: 01 June, 2021, 10:36:54 am »
Swan at Totham works for me!

OD's Library of Dodgy Routes offers THIS NUGGET.  I can't remember whether its any more shite than normal.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #16189 on: 01 June, 2021, 10:49:18 am »
In an unforeseen turn of events, I have "decided" not to work tomorrow and therefore can come out and play if that makes a difference to pub choice? Don't know anything about the Shoulder of Mutton apart from the fact that I rode past it once.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

« Reply #16190 on: 01 June, 2021, 11:31:52 am »
The Swan at Totham will be a pleasant 25km from Cletus's Camp and 35k from Tomsk Towers - feel free to ECE to 600 if that is not enough for either of you though.

Cletus, just a word of warning - the Swan has working heaters in its tent.  They are quite safe and no black magic is involved so no need for alarm.

1. Dirk
2. OD
3. Cletus from the Compasses
4. Tomsk

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #16191 on: 01 June, 2021, 01:33:38 pm »
The Swan at Totham will be a pleasant 25km from Cletus's Camp and 35k from Tomsk Towers - feel free to ECE to 600 if that is not enough for either of you though.

Cletus, just a word of warning - the Swan has working heaters in its tent.  They are quite safe and no black magic is involved so no need for alarm.

1. Dirk
2. OD
4. Tomsk
5. Fandango (as long as my legs don't become grey, my ears gnarled or my eyes old and bent).

« Reply #16192 on: 01 June, 2021, 02:05:25 pm »
The Shoulder of Mutton reopened on Sunday (29th) and is open Wednesday to Sunday 12pm to close.  They seem to have some uncovered seating at the front but no mention of anything covered.  They do say they are undertaking additional works to accommodate people. 

Maybe one of our more adventurous riders could fit in a quick survey during one of his daily 100k plus rides.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #16193 on: 01 June, 2021, 02:30:36 pm »
I’ll see if I can pop in on my way to the Swan. Haven’t been to the Swan since before I took over The Compasses (and subsequently invented Audax…). The legendary John Pascoe was still the landlord and I drove home a little over the limit…

« Reply #16194 on: 01 June, 2021, 02:41:19 pm »
I’ll see if I can pop in on my way to the Swan.

As you do  8)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16195 on: 01 June, 2021, 03:43:42 pm »

As you do  8) ...

...when you're a leg end who singlehandedly invented audax and has designs on Daisy Duke (dirty boy).

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #16196 on: 01 June, 2021, 03:52:20 pm »

As you do  8) ...

...when you're a leg end who singlehandedly invented audax and has designs on Daisy Duke (dirty boy).

I’m meeting BFC at 1630 at the Cross Keys White Notley for an Assington Assault before the Swan if anyone wants to join?

« Reply #16197 on: 01 June, 2021, 04:08:50 pm »

I’m meeting BFC at 1630 at the Cross Keys White Notley for an Assington Assault before the Swan if anyone wants to join?

I'm not as up to speed as I ought to be on my Urban Dictionary but is it possible to have more than two people involved in an Assington Assault ?

More to the point, what are you going to do for dinner ?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #16198 on: 01 June, 2021, 04:17:18 pm »

1. Dirk
2. OD
4. Tomsk
5. Fandango (as long as my legs don't become grey, my ears gnarled or my eyes old and bent).
6. Joergen but needs to limit intake as got a date with the 5ohhh the following day...
Regards,

Joergen

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #16199 on: 01 June, 2021, 04:22:10 pm »

I'm not as up to speed as I ought to be on my Urban Dictionary but is it possible to have more than two people involved in an Assington Assault ?

More to the point, what are you going to do for dinner ?

I promised to buy BFC dinner before the Assington Assault