Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1750823 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #1925 on: 07 May, 2011, 07:08:45 pm »
    The Trophy is in pride of place on the Tomsk Towers mantlepiece, until Mrs Tomsk finally expresses her thinly disguised contempt and it has to go to the holy of holies [the bike shed] along with assorted AUK & PBP medals, route arrows and frame numbers. I'm looking in my extensive 'spares' collection for a suitable discarded bit of bike to add to the masterpiece.
    I'm really touched to be the first recipient of this award and I'd like to thank my directeur sportif, therapist, the manufacturers of Sudocrem etc. Well done Chief :thumbsup:

Nice one Tomsk  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1926 on: 07 May, 2011, 07:13:58 pm »
:thumbsup:

http://www.chiefswiki.org.uk/wp/?page_id=80

I hereby nominate chief to be historian and archivist for any Essex based YACF cycling beer drinking event.  Top job!

*blushes* I should mention I do have a bit of a history of coming to waking up the following morning and not remembering very much from the more intensive MEMWNS events   :D

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1927 on: 08 May, 2011, 01:15:52 am »

http://www.chiefswiki.org.uk/wp/?page_id=80

I hereby nominate chief to be historian and archivist for any Essex based YACF cycling beer drinking event.  Top job!

*blushes* I should mention I do have a bit of a history of coming to waking up the following morning and not remembering very much from the more intensive MEMWNS events   :D

I don't remember that.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1928 on: 08 May, 2011, 08:25:25 am »
In case you missed it, I have revived the Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub thread with a cunning and audacious 6 pub suggestion. 

With the exception of the Christmas Do it has been over a year since the last EFNRttP event and we have picked up some new Essex YACFers in the interlude.  So I will attempt to define the difference between an EFNRttP and a MEMWNS ride.  The latter is all about riding and less about beer.  Success should be measured in miles not pints.  Blimey, it's surprisingly difficult to type with one's tongue in one's cheek.  The EFNRttP format is the reverse.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1929 on: 08 May, 2011, 08:58:26 pm »
    The boy racers of Dunmow will be attempting their first time trial of the season on 19th May and plan on following it with a bit of re-hydration, possibly at the conveniently sited Axe & Compasses in Aythorpe Roding. The MEMWNS crew could get another pub ride in or even ride the TT! Another good spot to hurl abuse and encouragement is the 'Black Lion' in High Roding.

Its a 'Come and Try It' 10 miles on the E91 course [straight out to Dunmow and back & almost pan flat on the B184] that anyone can just turn up to - you don't have to belong to a CTT registered club. Starts 19:15 at Leaden Roding Primary School lay-by, signing on in the lay-by just south of Axe & C pub, from about an hour before.

« Reply #1930 on: 09 May, 2011, 03:05:49 pm »
I'm down to marshal on the 19th! It's also a 2up event if you fancy company when blowing your lungs out. We gather on a bit of rough ground between the school / lay-by and the pub, here

I think it's £3 entry on the evening for non-members. Club events

I'll be at the turn on the mini roundabout in Dunmow, and I will most certainly shout encouragement.

[edit] I did a PB on this course last Thursday - 23.15, so that's the time to aim for chaps  ;)

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1931 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:02:08 pm »
Never mind all this talk of the 19th!  How about the 11th?

I'm probably not going to be out as late as last week (I don't want to be building up any sleep debt this week), but would fancy a gentle outing somewhere central-ish.

Any takers?

Littley Green?  Fuller Street?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1932 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:40:36 pm »
Gonna have to pass this week - in town all day 'till late.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1933 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:55:54 pm »
I'll have to pass too, got to have an evening in, to do paperwork etc - first chance this week! How about a pint somewhere on the Asparagus & Strawberries, Oaky?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1934 on: 10 May, 2011, 10:43:24 pm »
How about a pint somewhere on the Asparagus & Strawberries, Oaky?

I think that's a given!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1935 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:31:11 pm »
The intended late night shopping trip has been solved so I should be about.

Give me a tinkle  :thumbsup:

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #1936 on: 11 May, 2011, 04:39:11 pm »
I'm unavailable and nervous of what brown beer might do to my tender innards. DGTGF.

« Reply #1937 on: 11 May, 2011, 05:18:24 pm »
I'm unavailable and nervous of what brown beer might do to my tender innards. DGTGF.

It will make them better :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1938 on: 11 May, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »

Guinness?  A nice pale golden ale?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1939 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:10:23 am »

Guinness?  A nice pale golden ale?

A nifty 13 miles or so taking in the S&C with chief.  They were serving Stoker's which was brown, and Dark Star's Hophead which was distinctly not brown so no excuses for you Mr. bloomers100!!

;D

I took in a total of 0 North Hill ascents tonight (although I did use the Globe City bike on its M+ tyres which I reckon must be worth a fractional NHpoint on any ride :))

We also have a list of all of the CAMRA Essex and nearby (i.e Essex/Herts border) regional chapters' 2011 pubs of the year.  I'm seriously wondering how many km the shortest  path between them comes to....  It might be too long given that Harwich, Rochford and Grays feature (as well as the maybe Herts dodgy entrant).  OTOH there may be a DIY Audax in this! (Harwich at opening time, finish in the Blue Borar at Maldon at closing - all controls at CAMRA pubs of the year...).

« Reply #1940 on: 12 May, 2011, 12:30:13 am »
A splendid evening out  :thumbsup:

Two main beers consumed, a golden hophead and the traditional S&C Stokers.

Also two potential events discussed, a varying by the year Point audax and another little challenge for Oaky and I to undertake at some point :D

With the moonlight so strong I had the chance to switch off the front light on the quiet section home, it was super :thumbsup:  If you haven't ridden by moonlight yet give it ago*

chief

*Try to choose a flat bit of road though  ;)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1941 on: 16 May, 2011, 09:10:45 am »
We also have a list of all of the CAMRA Essex and nearby (i.e Essex/Herts border) regional chapters' 2011 pubs of the year.  I'm seriously wondering how many km the shortest  path between them comes to....  It might be too long given that Harwich, Rochford and Grays feature (as well as the maybe Herts dodgy entrant).  OTOH there may be a DIY Audax in this! (Harwich at opening time, finish in the Blue Borar at Maldon at closing - all controls at CAMRA pubs of the year...).
Has the potential for another thread  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1942 on: 17 May, 2011, 02:00:57 pm »
This may be an opportune moment and respectably not too far in advance to thow in a marker for tomorrow evening should there be anyone about - if I am able to be out (having performed necessary carer duties) then it will only likely be a relatively short evening for me.  That is, possibly a slightly later out and an earlier than usual return start after enjoying a couple or 3 Essex energy drinks.
I don't mind making a solo trip to & from a suitable rendevous venue TBA.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1943 on: 17 May, 2011, 07:01:56 pm »
   A  very little jaunt would suit me, bearing in mind the time trial looming on Thursday. How about the Compasses, Littley Green this time?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1944 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:11:25 pm »
How about the Compasses, Littley Green this time?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1945 on: 17 May, 2011, 10:48:35 pm »
Unsure about availability at the moment...

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1946 on: 18 May, 2011, 07:43:06 am »
Right - loks like I'm on for The Compasses.

huggy - you mentioned a later start - when do you reckon you'll be wanting to set off?

I think an actual direct route :o may be in order tonight: how about meeting at the junction of Blunts Hall lane and Spinks lane?

Google Maps

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1947 on: 18 May, 2011, 09:24:53 am »
How about a 7:30 meet @ Blunts Hall Lane which should make for a 8:15ish arrival at The Compassess?
If that fits with Tomsk we could go directly to Littley Green or a slightly later arrival could be arranged with an early refueling stop at Fuller Street
 :)

(I will be 'intending' to depart for home around 10pm though ::-) )

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1948 on: 18 May, 2011, 10:44:55 am »
I have a new Flitchbikes recruit: James [not yet of this parish] .....haven't heard from David yet. We'll leave Dunmow at 7:30, arriving about 9-ish. I won't be out late either :facepalm:

JOC

« Reply #1949 on: 18 May, 2011, 02:22:14 pm »
Newbie, James here (Dunmow). Looking forward to a ride out and espec an ale (or two).... will my legs spin faster afterwards??
JOC