Author Topic: Blood donation  (Read 88142 times)

Re: Blood donation
« Reply #150 on: 07 October, 2018, 11:48:11 am »
#16 tick.

Next date I can donate is 30/12 but I'll leave it until after the New Year. I'll also be starting the 16 week marathon training programme around then so I need to work it in to that schedule.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #151 on: 11 October, 2018, 04:56:20 pm »
First failure, blood stopped flowing after 290 ml :'( :'(

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #152 on: 11 October, 2018, 08:00:56 pm »
I'm not allowed - T1D

Don't see why not really as it's not catching  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #153 on: 11 October, 2018, 08:10:10 pm »

That sounds a lot worse than your posting on here would suggest...   :o

(Pardon my ignorance, I've never been allowed to give blood.)

« Reply #154 on: 11 October, 2018, 08:13:15 pm »
I give blood pretty regularly and they asked me to go to the main Bristol donor centre this week to see if I could be a platelet donor. I am A negative which is the universal donor type for platelets, and they are trying to recruit 50 more donors in the area. Unofrtunately although my blood was great, they don’t like the look of my veins very much so had to reject me  :-[

Apparently the platelet harvesting machine things puts your blood back into you under fairly high pressure and if you don’t have a big central vein in your elbow it can go horribly wrong (well big bruise and knackered vein kind of wrong). So they won’t take the chance. Its a shame as I would have been very happy to go regularly for it. They took my blood anyway, and were glad to get is as A- stocks are very low.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #155 on: 11 October, 2018, 08:36:09 pm »
I'm not allowed - T1D

Don't see why not really as it's not catching  ;D

It is because you are on Insulin and the effects it can have on you.

ElyDave

« Reply #156 on: 11 October, 2018, 08:43:09 pm »
that's the theory, yet to be proven.

It was also problematic pre T1D when I was travelling to Indonesia and Vietnam every 6 months, apparently just being there, even with no open wounds, no IV drug use and no unprotected sex, I was a high risk.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #157 on: 11 October, 2018, 10:24:01 pm »

That sounds a lot worse than your posting on here would suggest...   :o

(Pardon my ignorance, I've never been allowed to give blood.)

I've had blood stop half way. No underlying health issue, just red stuff went from slow trickle to slower trickle to stop.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #158 on: 11 October, 2018, 10:30:51 pm »

Not allowed to give blood in the UK, the same reason I can't in the UK doesn't apply in the Netherlands. Went to see about donating blood here, only to find that cos I grew up in the UK in the 80's and 90's, I can't give blood here. Turns out they are scared of BSE/vCJD.

Noone wants my blood...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #159 on: 12 October, 2018, 05:08:33 am »
Same here QG.

I couldn’t give blood in the UK because I had cancer (25 years ago now) but I can’t give blood in Germany because of the mad cows.

I haven’t even done one donation in my life, and it is something I am quit sad about.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #160 on: 12 October, 2018, 02:08:55 pm »
I bet the USAnians would have it.  They're notoriously non-fussy about such things.   >:(

Similarly, as a recipient of a transfusion in the 80s, I'd love to be able to donate.  I make do with encouraging other people to, and hope that if it comes to it they might be less fussy about organ donation.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #161 on: 12 October, 2018, 02:13:38 pm »
AIUI the USAnians won't take blood from those who ate BRITISH beef in the '80s.

ElyDave

« Reply #162 on: 12 October, 2018, 02:46:03 pm »
I bet the USAnians would have it.  They're notoriously non-fussy about such things.   >:(

Similarly, as a recipient of a transfusion in the 80s, I'd love to be able to donate.  I make do with encouraging other people to, and hope that if it comes to it they might be less fussy about organ donation.

I'm on the register, they can take any bits they want

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #163 on: 12 October, 2018, 02:52:36 pm »

Thats a point, if I snuff it on Dutch soil, will they accept my Organs... I should investigate...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #164 on: 12 October, 2018, 03:45:39 pm »
I reckon that most people in need would leap at a chance of receiving a healthy heart/lungs/liver from someone with a vanishingly small chance of carrying CJD.  You might get a bit more fussy about less critical organs like corneas.

ElyDave

« Reply #165 on: 12 October, 2018, 05:22:09 pm »
In my case I'm not sure what effect T1D has on acceptability of body parts

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #166 on: 12 October, 2018, 05:54:36 pm »

They probably don't want your pancreas.   ;D

ElyDave

« Reply #167 on: 12 October, 2018, 06:40:21 pm »

They probably don't want your pancreas.   ;D

That's fine, nor do I  :P

« Reply #168 on: 12 October, 2018, 08:48:34 pm »

Indeed. I couldn't give blood in the US when I lived there in the late 90s, despite being able to give blood in the UK with no problems.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #169 on: 12 October, 2018, 09:08:20 pm »

Indeed. I couldn't give blood in the US when I lived there in the late 90s, despite being able to give blood in the UK with no problems.

Not just the USAnians either; my brother, who is O Rh- ('universal donor'), can't give blood in Israel, where he lives.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #170 on: 13 October, 2018, 04:03:04 pm »
Just on my way back from donating platelets.

"Have you done anything strenuous today?"
" I rode my bike last night." An FNRTTC is exactly strenuous, more drawn out. The large breakfast took a bit of eating mind.

Normally they take two bags but apparently my platelet level is down, so they only took 9ne. They don't normally bother if it's just one bag but I'm A neg so am a wanted man.

There's a column on their paperwork for haematocrit. Mine is 46 so I explained to the crool nurse I was ok to race my bike.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #171 on: 19 November, 2018, 02:42:35 pm »
I've never donated blood, to my shame, but been meaning to for a while. Just found out they're coming round here tomorrow and I could pop out in my lunch break. I actually have no idea what my blood type is, but I'm eligible to donate according to the website so I assume they should be able to take some.

I normally go to a spin class straight after work on a Tuesday evening - if I donate at lunchtime, would that be likely to cause any problems? (Or is this one of those "it depends on how you react" things...?)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #172 on: 19 November, 2018, 03:05:02 pm »
spinning class should be fine, especially when you can turn the resistance knob to any suitable intensity. for me i feel it takes 1-2weeks to be back at 100%.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #173 on: 19 November, 2018, 03:10:26 pm »
I've never donated blood, to my shame, but been meaning to for a while. Just found out they're coming round here tomorrow and I could pop out in my lunch break. I actually have no idea what my blood type is, but I'm eligible to donate according to the website so I assume they should be able to take some.

I normally go to a spin class straight after work on a Tuesday evening - if I donate at lunchtime, would that be likely to cause any problems? (Or is this one of those "it depends on how you react" things...?)

I think you need to register first. The NHS are picky about whose blood they take so best to do as much in advance as you can

https://my.blood.co.uk/preregister

There is also a very good app on the smartphone appstores just called 'NHS blood.'

I am personally donating tomorrow can't wait to smash some.oreos  ;D
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

sib

« Reply #174 on: 19 November, 2018, 03:10:44 pm »
@phantas

I think the volume is replaced quite quickly but the red blood cells take weeks to regenerate. This might leave you more breathless for the same effort.
The instructor may decline you (if you tell them). Personally I'd leave it 24hrs.