Author Topic: Blood donation  (Read 88142 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Blood donation
« Reply #175 on: 19 November, 2018, 03:45:45 pm »
As others have posted, you make up the volume PDQ but make sure you do drink a decent volume after donating.

I used to feel under par for the first 48 hours and take 10-14 days to feel fully 'back to normal'.

« Reply #176 on: 19 November, 2018, 04:11:17 pm »
I believe the policy now is that you get a pint of liquid (water or squash, not hot drinks) before donating, which has been shown to be more effective for keeping blood volume up and having issue free donations. Plus the drinks and biscuits afterwards.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #177 on: 19 November, 2018, 04:47:10 pm »
Makes sense, given the minor issues I had in the past!

Set off at high speed en vélo, felt faint, went to shop, bought BIG bottle of pop, sat on floor, drank it then set off...

...no issues thereafter....

« Reply #178 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:34:37 am »
I normally go to a spin class straight after work on a Tuesday evening - if I donate at lunchtime, would that be likely to cause any problems? (Or is this one of those "it depends on how you react" things...?)

They don't recommend it: https://www.blood.co.uk/news-and-campaigns/the-donor-magazine-autumn-2017/before-you-donate/

Exercise – don’t do any vigorous exercise or heavy lifting the day of your donation, either before or afterwards. Keeping your body rested helps it to replenish lost fluids.

I used to donate at lunchtime and then 35 minute cycle home later that evening (which felt harder work than normal) and then play an hour of 5-a-side football later that evening (again it felt harder than normal). Never had a problem but I guess I could have just been lucky, I'm reasonably fit so I may not be affected by it as much as some.

If you ask anyone today (Blood Nurse or Spinning instructor) they'll almost certainly err on the side of caution and say no, and to take it easy for 24h.

(The mobile donation truck stopped coming so I have to go elsewhere to donate now and can't fit in with work.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #179 on: 20 November, 2018, 10:46:40 am »
There are two positive outcomes of donating blood

1) it's good for others and society

2) you get regular blood checks

Everything else about it is not particularly good.
I belong to the 5% of "selfish blood owners", my AB+ is not particularly desirable and anyone with my blood type can take any other type, which makes it next to useless

So I never bothered

« Reply #180 on: 20 November, 2018, 12:19:12 pm »
I belong to the 5% of "selfish blood owners", my AB+ is not particularly desirable and anyone with my blood type can take any other type, which makes it next to useless

There are lots of non-clinical uses for donated blood: https://www.blood.co.uk/why-give-blood/how-blood-is-used/non-clinical-use/

Without enough "not particular desirable" blood there may not be enough for all of the non-clinical requirements given that the really desirable blood would go for clinical usage as a priority. Them having too much blood is not going to be a problem.

It is a free choice at the end of the day though, doing it or not doing it is up to you.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #181 on: 20 November, 2018, 12:34:07 pm »
Actually 2.5% of the population in the UK... much more common in Korea, apparently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type_distribution_by_country

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #182 on: 20 November, 2018, 12:44:38 pm »
I can't remember ever transfusing blood of the 'wrong' blood group in any non-(DIRE)emergency.

I think there are reasons why this is the case, though I don't remember them accurately.

« Reply #183 on: 20 November, 2018, 02:40:23 pm »
Well, it didn't happen after all! The pop-up blood donation place near work was too busy, and the only time they could fit me in was too late. :( Might give the permanent place in town (where it's possible to actually pre-book appointments) a go.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #184 on: 01 December, 2018, 06:34:16 pm »
There are two positive outcomes of donating blood

1) it's good for others and society

2) you get regular blood checks

So I never bothered

I'm AB+, and several times when I've been donating, the nurses have commented about how pleased they were someone with that blood type was donating, specifically due it being rare.  Over the years I think I've also had 2 or 3 pleading letters asking me to specifically make a donation due to them wanting more AB+.

I can't donate any more, so there's a vacancy. ;)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #185 on: 01 December, 2018, 07:10:35 pm »
AB- "One doesn't like to hog it all"

https://youtu.be/zcZChdM0OiI?t=160
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

whosatthewheel

« Reply #186 on: 02 December, 2018, 07:35:59 am »

I cycle 25-30 miles a day to work and back... it's not a doddle ride at 10 mph around the flat streets of the capital. I can't really afford to have a couple of weeks of being tired and out of breath.
Slowing down means my commute becomes more dangerous, as more cars would take their chances at overtaking around bends... if I keep 20-25 mph they seem to be OK to wait until they find a suitable gap.

The vast majority of people out there do nothing physically demanding and could probably afford to donate blood more than I can.  :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #187 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:44:41 pm »

I cycle 25-30 miles a day to work and back... it's not a doddle ride at 10 mph around the flat streets of the capital. I can't really afford to have a couple of weeks of being tired and out of breath.
Slowing down means my commute becomes more dangerous, as more cars would take their chances at overtaking around bends... if I keep 20-25 mph they seem to be OK to wait until they find a suitable gap.

The vast majority of people out there do nothing physically demanding and could probably afford to donate blood more than I can.  :thumbsup:

Fair enough - that sort of speed you'll need all your blood.  At 15 mph commuting & doing long rides a few days later, I didn't really notice much effect.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

whosatthewheel

« Reply #188 on: 08 December, 2018, 03:09:12 pm »
Fair enough - that sort of speed you'll need all your blood.  At 15 mph commuting & doing long rides a few days later, I didn't really notice much effect.

There's more... my dad became a donor and a couple of years later he developed a heart enlargement that doctors could not explain. Eventually with therapy things improved, but it changed his life.
Sometimes I have this simplistic view of the circulatory system as "basic plumbing" and I can see how suddenly removing a large quantity of fluid from the system can damage a pump...

It's stupid, but it's there at the back of my mind

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #189 on: 08 December, 2018, 03:35:30 pm »

There's more... my dad became a donor and a couple of years later he developed a heart enlargement that doctors could not explain. Eventually with therapy things improved, but it changed his life.
Sometimes I have this simplistic view of the circulatory system as "basic plumbing" and I can see how suddenly removing a large quantity of fluid from the system can damage a pump...

Seems unlikely as there are thousands of donors and millions of donations are year.  If it does worry you, go and donate platelets. It takes longer but they put most of the blood back and you'll need to find a platelet donation centre.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #190 on: 08 December, 2018, 03:35:43 pm »

It's not a closed system thobut:  Blood vessels change volume all the time to regulate pressure and body temperature.  Kidneys remove fluid to regulate the concentration.  The digestive system adds fluid as it becomes available in the bowel.

AIUI, never having given blood, the idea is to only take what can be compensated for by the normal mechanisms without affecting the blood pressure.  They get more than a bit twitchy if you exhibit signs of hypotension (as some people are apt to do at the sight of needles, irrespective of any change in blood volume).

« Reply #191 on: 11 December, 2018, 05:33:14 pm »

As Kim said, it's not that simple.

Assuming you've not had a splenectomy your spleen will contract after a donation to replace a bunch of the red blood cells you donated. Your kidneys will hang on to a bit more of the water you drank before and after the donation to replace total body water lost, some of which makes up blood volume. All you're really missing then is some white blood cells and platelets that your bone marrow makes pretty quickly, and some blood proteins that your liver makes. Any weakness you felt exercising would be very temporary as the body homeostatic mechanisms put all this right very quickly.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #192 on: 31 March, 2019, 07:47:04 pm »
Meanwhile it becomes ever more difficult to book a donation slot, unless you do it w-a-a-a-y in advance - which assumes no changes to plans etc. which is why I am trying to rebook.
It's reminiscent of getting a slot for a driving test.

edit: new personal best donation time: 4:41
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #193 on: 22 May, 2019, 07:19:45 pm »
Blocked for a year due to terbinafine. Boo.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #194 on: 22 May, 2019, 07:30:35 pm »
The stock level page for the Scottish Transfusion Service shows what's in stock here
https://www.scotblood.co.uk/about-blood/current-blood-stock-levels/

A+ is the most common and we're short of it.
I'm A+ but have issues with getting to donate, last time I managed to keep my sinuses clear and otherwise be not fatigued and went along they wanted me to tank up on liquid and sugar both before and after, as both help with the donation process.

« Reply #195 on: 23 May, 2019, 01:15:59 pm »

No 80 :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #196 on: 23 May, 2019, 01:50:23 pm »

Well done! Great that you're fit enough to achieve this!

Phil W

« Reply #197 on: 23 May, 2019, 06:49:12 pm »

Not allowed to give blood in the UK, the same reason I can't in the UK doesn't apply in the Netherlands. Went to see about donating blood here, only to find that cos I grew up in the UK in the 80's and 90's, I can't give blood here. Turns out they are scared of BSE/vCJD.

Noone wants my blood...

J

Well hopefully you do ;D

Phil W

« Reply #198 on: 23 May, 2019, 06:53:51 pm »
Haven't given blood for ages. Mostly because they no longer come round with the blood waggon to near our work place. They removed  the ability to just walk in, and made getting an appointment difficult. They no longer email reminders of when sessions are on. I'm somewhere between 40-50 donations but have lost track it's been so long.

« Reply #199 on: 24 May, 2019, 08:19:17 am »

Well done! Great that you're fit enough to achieve this!

Thanks

I’m about 10 behind where I wanted to be (life etc). The aim was 100 before 60.