Author Topic: Blood donation  (Read 88147 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Blood donation
« Reply #200 on: 24 May, 2019, 03:56:01 pm »
I got about ⅓ of the way there before MS.

« Reply #201 on: 24 May, 2019, 04:15:43 pm »
I need to book in. I'm O- so they love me and I can get special appointments apparently. Didn't miss one for about first eight years from 16 but then had jobs where couldn't book in as never knew what time I would leave work. Know lucky enough to have them visit a football stadium 5 minutes from my work so book in around lunchtime

I love the appointment scheme, I realise it's hard for those with less predictable schedule as you can't get a walk in anymore but means I can allow and hour and it takes less rather then sometimes being around 2 hours

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #202 on: 24 May, 2019, 05:36:19 pm »
I like the text you now get a week or so after donation.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #203 on: 26 May, 2019, 11:52:31 pm »
It's more than 12 years since I gave blood. Rheumatoid arthritis means they don't want my blood any more. Autoimmune disease.

When I was at college, there was a very poor juxtaposition of visiting vehicles one day: the blood service, asking for students' blood, and the Scottish & Newcastle Brewery's mobile bar, giving away free beer. I gave a pint of blood and then had 5 pints of something. Not to be recommended.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

« Reply #204 on: 15 August, 2019, 03:52:40 pm »

Blood given today, but, currently the coffee they are doing is de-caff

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #205 on: 15 August, 2019, 04:00:38 pm »
Is the tea also de-caff?

« Reply #206 on: 16 August, 2019, 07:33:37 am »
Didn’t look as don’t drink it. Will try the hot chocolate next time for the sugar hit

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #207 on: 21 September, 2019, 02:54:06 pm »
all went well this time except for the  hb level that was on the low side (140g/l). could that still be the effect from a 240k ride six days ago?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #208 on: 25 September, 2019, 12:45:23 pm »
I had a lowish hb once (137 I think). That was the week after a 600.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #209 on: 25 September, 2019, 06:14:58 pm »
No hot drinks at all today  >:(

Was informed that my blood goes to the neo-natal unit cos I don't got cytomegalovirus
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #210 on: 03 January, 2020, 02:20:17 pm »
Blocked for a year due to terbinafine. Boo.

Should be off it by the end of Feb and I think they need 2 weeks of being clean before donating again, so looks like mid-March should be good to go.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #211 on: 16 March, 2020, 03:44:31 pm »
#17 done.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #212 on: 16 March, 2020, 07:49:32 pm »

Was informed that my blood goes to the neo-natal unit cos I don't got cytomegalovirus.
My son got that when he was 7 weeks old (not from a transfusion). It's incredibly nasty in babies.  :( Fortunately it's also easy to cure, once it's been identified. And in adults it goes unnoticed.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #213 on: 16 March, 2020, 08:46:07 pm »

Was informed that my blood goes to the neo-natal unit cos I don't got cytomegalovirus.
My son got that when he was 7 weeks old (not from a transfusion). It's incredibly nasty in babies.  :( Fortunately it's also easy to cure, once it's been identified. And in adults it goes unnoticed.

Can also damage unborn babies.

« Reply #214 on: 20 March, 2020, 10:41:01 am »
I am guessing that a lot of blood is used for elective and trauma surgery so the inevitable covid-19 supply drop may be matched by less demand ? Will still sign up as am a lapsed donor.

« Reply #215 on: 20 March, 2020, 05:24:15 pm »
They still won't take mine, as people who are on epilepsy meds are not suitable.  :demon:

I'm on a tiny baby dose now, can't wait to get completely free of the stuff.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #216 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:32:24 pm »
Got a phone call and booked in for good Friday. Im O Neg and the stuff they can give to neonatal so they generally chase me to give blood. Could have donated next week but due to most staff working from home or furlonging or whatever its called I can't wander down the road to the football stadium where they do day time blood donations.

My comment of book me in whenever it's not like we can actually go anywhere at the moment got a laugh and apparently they're taking precautions with distancing etc.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #217 on: 26 March, 2020, 08:52:07 pm »
About a couple of weeks ago I received a letter urging me to make an appointment to donate blood or platelets.  I was unable to respond because I was about to have the second phase of treatment for dental implants. When my dental appointment was cancelled due to the Coronavirus epidemic I expected to be able to resume giving blood. However, yesterday I got a letter to say that donations from over 70s are suspended for the next 3 months at least. 
Pity, I quite enjoy my  train rides to Leeds, free tea and biscuits, and chatting to the nurses. Actually, it would be nice just to be free to 'wander abroad' without constraint at the moment.  Did manage a nice bike ride in the sunshine today, though.  :thumbsup:

Chris S

« Reply #218 on: 26 March, 2020, 09:12:49 pm »
I'm an A- outlier, so always popular - but I'm also CV high risk, so really cannot bring myself to go out in public and donate - otherwise I think I probably would.

« Reply #219 on: 27 March, 2020, 07:28:00 am »
Currently not able to donate until late may. Hb was too low last visit.
But have taken Fe/vitB/VitC supplements, and also looked at diet

Edd

« Reply #220 on: 27 March, 2020, 09:34:22 am »
Thanks for reminding me! My 12 weeks is up 15th April, next appointment now booked in for 16th April

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #221 on: 16 May, 2020, 08:01:08 pm »
Just done #70
I turned up in my (yacf) buff and was asked if I minded removing.  'Only put it on 'cos I thought you'd want me to' quoth I.
A bit quieter than usual - I assume fewer beds.

May prod my 2, one is A- and the other O+, so reasonably popular.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #222 on: 17 May, 2020, 08:55:13 am »
Before I gave blood last week I had several texts, including at least one saying not to turn up early. At the door was a sign with instructions not to check-in more than 5 minutes early. There was a separate waiting room with very well spaced out chairs and noticeably fewer people waiting than normal. Very little time to wait between the screening and being shown to a "bed". I think there were the same number as normal, and nearly all occupied.

While I was waiting it was decided to send new arrivals to wash their hands in the toilets rather than use the hand sanitiser as I had done, as they suspected that sanitiser was suspected of interfering with the blood drop test. The doors on the toilet were wedged open so no need to handle handles.

My arm had been emptied and I was having squash (no hot drinks) and crisps 40 minutes after my appointment time - normally anything under an hour is very good.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #223 on: 17 May, 2020, 09:05:23 am »
I was due to give platelets on Friday but had a phone call earlier in the week cancelling it. The platelet beds are being used to obtain plasma from Covid19 recovered patients to investigate its theraputic properties.

More info here: https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/how-you-can-help/convalescent-plasma-clinical-trial/
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #224 on: 26 May, 2020, 02:52:57 pm »
O bollocks

Donation declined for 2nd time in a row. Hb too low. Lower than first time, now just in normal range.

Gp messaged

:'( :-\ >:(