Author Topic: Steam Ride: Chilterns Pub Crawl AAA3 200k - Sun 1st Nov  (Read 6673 times)

Martin

Re: Steam Ride: Chilterns Pub Crawl AAA3 200k - Sun 1st Nov
« Reply #50 on: 16 October, 2015, 10:40:17 am »
I dson't remember the 150 version having any manned controls apart from the start and finish; they were both receipts

« Reply #51 on: 16 October, 2015, 04:47:53 pm »
I dson't remember the 150 version having any manned controls apart from the start and finish; they were both receipts
I wasn't able to do the 150k ride so have no idea how many controls it had I'm afraid, but I certainly wasn't referring to it. My post was a hypothetical example and any similarity to any ride, living or dead, is purely coincidental  ;)

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #52 on: 18 October, 2015, 09:46:01 am »
the Chilterns Cycleway into a 300km overnight ride last July. Minimum distance threw it out of the window as a DIY by GPS thanks to the nature of the roads. But it's great riding

I totally agree as do numerous Sportive riders in the region, really Great Riding  :)
My Chiltern Grimpeurs utilise the best the Chilterns Cycleway has to offer, sticking to the roads avoiding farm tracks http://www.chilternsaonb.org/cycleway.html, and then some into 100 ,150, & 200 rides :thumbsup:
ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

« Reply #53 on: 18 October, 2015, 01:34:05 pm »
Whilst the Surrey Hills, South Downs and North Kent grab the (South Eastern) headlines, The Chilterns have been quietly enjoying being one of those 'well kept secrets' enjoyed by 'those in the know'. The best hills in the Chilterns are not quite close enough to London for many, and it doesn't have a Box Hill, and is not near Cycling Weekly's HQ either. But if you live 'North of The River', you know it rocks.

I popped out this morning and there was loadsa' lycra getting sweaty out there in those hills, not at Dorking / Box Hill saturation, but looking good!. A Time trial was happening on the Great Missenden Course too. A couple of weeks back I was riding through Dunsmore and was chatting to a bloke who told me that he drives over from Essex regularly to ride the Chilterns. The number of Chiltern sportives is growing and now, thanks to Ride Hard the number of Audaxes is also increasing. Paul Stewart and Liam Fitzpatrick already have Audaxes in the area, so it's just getting better and better.

Following the threads above I had a look at the Chiltern Cycleway, I see the signs all the time, but hadn't realised it was a loop....must do that as a DIY!

Referring to the earlier discussion on info controls, it is interesting to note that the level of info controls advertised on the Mid Sussex event this weekend exceeded the rate of infos per km of the the Chilterns Pub Crawl.......which tends to suggest that, for an AAA ride, the Chilterns Pub Crawl looks pretty good on that level too. Of course, I'll reserve judgement until I've actually done the infos though! The Mid Sussex is a fantastic event and if you enjoy the views from Ditchling Beacon, you'll get loads like that on the Northern section of the Chilterns Pub Crawl.

« Reply #54 on: 18 October, 2015, 01:59:20 pm »
This looks like a great route and I hope to be there to ride it!

The number of controls does not put me off ... One of my favourite 200s is Paul Stewart's AAAfractuous which has 3 controls + 6 infos and that has never bothered me. Assuming you're stopping at every control you just have to be able to remember a max of 2 Q&As per leg. (This is much aided by the little flags Paul puts in the gps track for each one!) I've ridden that both by gps, and purely on the route sheet, without trouble.

Thanks Tim for another reason to explore the chilterns after the ace 'puffing billy'

I turned the Chilterns Cycleway into a 300km overnight ride last July.

Sounds interesting - I've also seen the signs but never realised it was a loop. Do you have a gps or strava link for your route? Would you recommend it?

Phil W

« Reply #55 on: 18 October, 2015, 05:03:19 pm »
Quote from: Anthony link=topic=93270.msg1933446#msg1933446 date
I turned the Chilterns Cycleway into a 300km overnight ride last July.

Sounds interesting - I've also seen the signs but never realised it was a loop. Do you have a gps or strava link for your route? Would you recommend it?

Yes, a cracking little loop. As I live just off its eastern edge, I made it a 304km ride from home.  I did it as an overnight ride, starting around 8pm, caught last orders, diverted to Benson for 24hr McDonalds for breakfast, then a second breakfast mid morning. There are a couple of sections which use farm tracks so my GPX diverts around those.  I used churches to top up water overnight, but during day shops and pubs frequently enough.

I don't use Strava but PM me and I can fire over the GPX.

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #56 on: 27 October, 2015, 06:21:00 pm »
Yeah over 50+ enteries...

Terry's volunteered to run the Cafe on the Woods Control :thumbsup:
Dan's  volunteered to run the Dunstable Downs Control  :thumbsup:

Last few Brevets left, and weather forecast looking good for the weekend ;)

Chinnor Scenic 100 has  the Cambrian-tea-rooms open this weekend, a must 1/2 way stop-over  :thumbsup:
http://www.chinnorrailway.co.uk/article.php/69/cambrian-tea-room

ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

Martin

« Reply #57 on: 27 October, 2015, 10:54:27 pm »
Yeah over 50+ enteries...

excellent  :thumbsup: a great way to tick off the Nov RRTY / GdSRTY hope it goes well  8)

sadly I'll be doing a steam ride of the steam powered variety instead

lemon muncher

« Reply #58 on: 28 October, 2015, 07:18:16 pm »
Good evening everyone.

I'd like to do this but where's best to stay overnight Saturday night? Nice 'n cheap if possible too please.

« Reply #59 on: 28 October, 2015, 09:58:45 pm »
Good evening everyone.

I'd like to do this but where's best to stay overnight Saturday night? Nice 'n cheap if possible too please.

If you're driving then look at Uxbridge, Harrow, Heathrow and Watford. If you are riding from the Hotel to the start then you may want to look more locally (Ruislip, Eastcote, Ickenham, Northwood). There is a Ramada in South Ruislip, The Barn Hotel near Ruislip Station and a Hotel in Eastcote that I can't remember the name of. Ruislip is London commuter belt, so isn't over supplied with hotels but you may find some B&Bs, for example the Bell near Ruislip Gardens has rooms....although I expect they are generally aimed at Railway contractors working at the Central Line depot and I doubt the Bell is very quiet on a Saturday night.

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
« Reply #60 on: 28 October, 2015, 10:52:41 pm »
Have you tried Easy Hotel  ???
http://www.easyhotel.com/hotels/united-kingdom/london-heathrow/
Only 8 miles away  :thumbsup:

Last year someone bivi'd in the Free car park.. they lock it over night  LOL

« Reply #61 on: 05 November, 2015, 08:20:15 pm »
Thank you Tim for a wonderful day.  I was on the Chinnor Scenic 100 ride and thoroughly enjoyed it.

MyBlog
MyPhotos

Here are a couple of photos.

Burnham Beeches

Name these two riders

« Reply #62 on: 06 November, 2015, 02:01:32 pm »
Those photos are a nice record of how nice the day was.

Of course, most on the 200k will have also experienced fog after dark over the last part of the route, which added another dimension to it all. But, from mist, to warm sunshine and then chilly fog after dark, accompanied by some Chiltern classics  all added up to a very memorable ride.

The descent of the Crong and climb of Hastoe were removed from the original version, as the ride was slimmed down to 208k from the 217k originally advertised. This was probably a good thing as I rode some of the penultimate sections very slowly at times in that night fog , struggling to see much as my lights just bounced back in the mist. It got better from Ricky through Ruislip under the streetlamps though.

Well done RH, another cracker!

« Reply #63 on: 06 November, 2015, 04:10:29 pm »
I did enjoy the encouragement to consume our own food at the Wendover control

I've never yet succeeded in getting photos in a post here so if the above links don't work it's the first two photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/87831957@N00/