Author Topic: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200  (Read 23783 times)

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
Re: Double Dutch, Ship of the Fens 200
« Reply #175 on: 19 April, 2024, 02:25:00 pm »
Is the Amici on the London-bound platform? There was a coffee van on the W side when I started the ride there. It was a PITA to get from one side to the other once you had left the station, due to all the building works.

Greggs in the High St claims to open at 0700; I assume the one in the petrol station is 24/7?

Note also if you follow the track through Kings Lynn the only outlets you will pass are Spoons and Carluccios plus one on the quay itself; the High St is parallel just to the East.

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #176 on: 19 April, 2024, 02:28:28 pm »
East side of station as you look at the map, apparently. I hope the building works have finished as I got stuck trying to find the entrance for a train home last time I was there 😬

GdS

« Reply #177 on: 19 April, 2024, 02:30:34 pm »
East side of station as you look at the map, apparently. I hope the building works have finished as I got stuck trying to find the entrance for a train home last time I was there 😬

yes they have; the L turn at the traffic lights now takes you straight onto the A1307 (old A14) with a right lane to go into the station.

Also there are loos at the start (I can see them on Google maps but not sure when they open), but not in March (they have been demolished not sure if they will be replaced) so either use Greggs or Spoons in Dartford Road.

MsG

« Reply #178 on: 19 April, 2024, 02:37:18 pm »
Marriott's is the main one on the Quayside, we do the FNRttC Cambridge to King's Lynn breakfast there. The service can be slow but the food is usually good.
I'd like to avoid entering the one way system in KL as it usually leads to me getting lost.  :facepalm:

« Reply #179 on: 19 April, 2024, 03:01:32 pm »
Forecast temps looking to be 3-9C maybe 11C peak if lucky.  Some forecasts have grey all day, Met Office has sun hiding behind clouds.  On Monday it was forecasting a peak of 15C and I was considering shorts, then 3/4s, but now I’m just considering longs especially given the northerly winds.

Pie and chips and gravy from the chip shop in Kings Lynn like last time me thinks, for my hot food stop.

« Reply #180 on: 19 April, 2024, 03:11:35 pm »
I agree.  Full longs, base layers and gilet for tomorrow.  Here (12 miles south of Cambridge, its been decidedly chilly the past two days. Stop at spoons for coffee and burger and chips.  Possibly a BK just after Ely.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

MsG

« Reply #181 on: 19 April, 2024, 03:45:54 pm »
Bib tights for me too and boots.

« Reply #182 on: 19 April, 2024, 04:59:03 pm »
thanks for the trivia MsG! Love a bit of derelict building trivia, and I had no idea that was there. However is that kept that free of water?!

Blimey, I hope this stormy weather passes through tonight. I'm just south of Cambridge - we had some really heavy showers this morning. Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow, I'm the one with a pink gilet and a loadsa badges on my carradice.

« Reply #183 on: 19 April, 2024, 05:34:41 pm »
I’ll be on my “green hornet” recumbent, yellow seat bag, orange bar tape, green (and yellow) windproof, plus  my new Cinelli cycling cap is coming out for its first outing.  Starting at 8am at earliest, or 8:30am if train shenanigans.

MsG

« Reply #184 on: 19 April, 2024, 06:32:51 pm »
thanks for the trivia MsG! Love a bit of derelict building trivia, and I had no idea that was there. However is that kept that free of water?!

Blimey, I hope this stormy weather passes through tonight. I'm just south of Cambridge - we had some really heavy showers this morning. Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow, I'm the one with a pink gilet and a loadsa badges on my carradice.
We had hail this morning in Ely too.

The ROC floods as people mucked about with the hatch. There were ROCs roughly every 15 miles. Some were removed or filled in but others remain. The ventilation / access shaft is easy to  pick out once you know what you’re looking for http://www.roc-heritage.co.uk/underground-posts.html

The building to the left of the Chettisham level crossing has an interesting background too.

MsG

« Reply #185 on: 19 April, 2024, 06:34:51 pm »
I’ll be on my “green hornet” recumbent, yellow seat bag, orange bar tape, green (and yellow) windproof, plus  my new Cinelli cycling cap is coming out for its first outing.  Starting at 8am at earliest, or 8:30am if train shenanigans.

Likely to start about 0820. I won’t be on the Light Blue Robinson steel orange bike for a change but will be wearing mostly orange as usual.

« Reply #186 on: 20 April, 2024, 09:25:25 pm »
Good day out, winds fairly benign, at least from a bent perspective .  There was a really good tulip field hiding behind hedge on right heading towards East Winch. Unfortunately no big enough gaps to get a good photo but had a good view from my bent. One by info likely has 2-3 weeks to go before it’s ready for show time. Almost had brevet card ripped out of hand by a wind gust at Denver Sluice info!

« Reply #187 on: 21 April, 2024, 09:07:03 am »
Thanks to GdS and MrsGdS for a grand day out.
I'm not sure I would agree with Phil's headwind assessment for the stretch into Kings Lynn, but overall a fun day.
California Dreaming

« Reply #188 on: 21 April, 2024, 09:35:54 am »
Really good day out in the Fens.  Massive thanks to GdS and Mrs GdS for organising.  Thanks to Gav for the company round the first 2/3rds of the route, I enjoyed the company. The headwind out to Kings Lynn was nagging and sapped strength from my legs.  The tailwind home was better!

The biggest thanks of the day have to go to City Cycles in Ely who supplied, and fitted for free, a rear tyre very late on a Saturday afternoon when a bit of road debris chewed a chunk out of my ageing Continental GT and left me running very slowly on chords for 15km into Ely. That delay put me in no man’s land and I hardly saw another rider all the way back to the finish so had plenty of time for my own thoughts.

Overall a good ride for my first 200km in some months and one I will definitely be back to do again.

« Reply #189 on: 21 April, 2024, 10:46:02 am »
I couldn't take part in the end. Real bummer! My Di2 battery failed. Managed to get to the starting point, but too late, nobody was there anymore. Tried to make the gears work but couldn't. Considered doing the route anyway, but was stuck in a single low gear. Would have been a nightmare. Hope to have it sorted soon and do the route on my own in 2-3 weeks to see these tulips Lightning Phil mentioned.

GdS

« Reply #190 on: 21 April, 2024, 03:53:54 pm »
Thanks to GdS and MrsGdS for a grand day out.
I'm not sure I would agree with Phil's headwind assessment for the stretch into Kings Lynn, but overall a fun day.

Thanks; sorry I looked straight through you at the start  :-[ I was in the Zone with a record number of riders and endless riders' texts / emails on the day, also trying to think of toilet alternatives for the riders as the ones in the car park have been shut since 2010  :(

It seemed that most riders saw the best tulip field (even though it was hidden) I daftly thought the ones behind the church (which were not picked they just need a couple more weeks) would be better and rode past.

Despite only seeing one sign with birds on for the info in Nordelph on the route check it appears there were at least 4 signs! (with swans, lovebirds and a chicken instead of the duck and  2 geese I was looking for)

Thanks for the Littleport route recommendation All, it was much nicer with a commanding view down to the river calmer traffic and much better view of The Ship. We also used the underpass by the station as the level crossing was closed but had to wait at the Chettisham one (just a short passenger train not a long container freight)

GdS

« Reply #191 on: 21 April, 2024, 04:01:44 pm »
I couldn't take part in the end. Real bummer! My Di2 battery failed. Managed to get to the starting point, but too late, nobody was there anymore. Tried to make the gears work but couldn't. Considered doing the route anyway, but was stuck in a single low gear. Would have been a nightmare. Hope to have it sorted soon and do the route on my own in 2-3 weeks to see these tulips Lightning Phil mentioned.

The best ones are in Gayton Rd before East Winch, they are at their best now  8)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/d2EHeqReog6R1cY56

The ones that need a couple of weeks are in Church Lane East Winch where the route retraces; off the A47 (there are 2 Church Lanes!)

Next Year's is the same route same weekend and it's also Easter Saturday  :)

MsG

« Reply #192 on: 21 April, 2024, 04:46:38 pm »
Something that might be useful is that the public toilets on the main road into Downham Market are open until 5pm. You can just squeeze a bike into the ladies and the tap water hasn't made me ill (yet!).

« Reply #193 on: 21 April, 2024, 06:35:30 pm »
The Burger King after Wichford road, Ely was small, with seating for 8.  Whopper and fries cooked well.  Not busy at all. They don’t have toilets but the BP garage might. There is also a Starbucks there.  Puts you in the right spot for joining the cycleway down right hand side of A142.

GdS

« Reply #194 on: 21 April, 2024, 07:17:57 pm »
The Burger King after Wichford road, Ely was small, with seating for 8.  Whopper and fries cooked well.  Not busy at all. They don’t have toilets but the BP garage might. There is also a Starbucks there.  Puts you in the right spot for joining the cycleway down right hand side of A142.

For a large turnout of ladies I was aware of toilets (and lack of, the Ely ones were locked when I went past)

I sent the route R into Tower Rd after Ely in order to get on the right side of the Burger King roundabout, not a great cyclepath on the pavement until after the services but better than trying to cross over the RAB.

The previously flooded busway cyclepath was all fine

« Reply #195 on: 21 April, 2024, 10:03:21 pm »
Iiiiit's time for yet another overly long ride report!

Audax o'clock alarm a bit earlier than usual, for ECEing a 200km event: Martin's Ship of the Fens. I haven't done this event before, as the dates don't normally work out for me - so I'm very excited to do it today.

I wake up with a start - a strange scary dream about a train running on a path instead of rails near my mum's house (which is next to a railway line in real life). Oddly, it's a dream I have quite often. I wonder why. My direct route to Huntingdon is 42km, so a diversion to Haslingfield to get the miles up. The birds are tweeting already when I leave, and I pause to watch the sun rise over the radio telescopes.

My ECE route is on the A1307/old A14 path - it's a bit more sheltered than the busway. In Hemingford Abbots, I take note of the location of the phone box for future use as a control. The common to Godmanchester is lovely at this time of day. A black squirrel watches me go past.

I arrive at the start in Huntingdon ten minutes before the official start, and join the queue. GdS looks like he's been busy with people all morning. The only other familiar face is Dod, and he waves hello. Then we're off! I had planned to avoid the A141, but it wouldn't be safe to peel out of the bunch. By Wistow, I am at the back with the stragglers. Music on; I settle into the landscape when Lightning Phil appears from behind. Hello! He'd started a bit late, due to trains, and had had a near miss of getting on the wrong train. Argh!

In Ramsey, we make a mental note of the control answer. The remains of Ramsey Abbey are quite spectacular, I must come back to have a proper look. Even the wall, presumably round the kitchen garden, is a stunner with little pretty pieces of the abbey embedded in the wall. Up to Ramsey Forty Foot, it becomes clear that I am slower than Phil today. I just don't have the strength in the wind, and it doesn't ever feel worth fighting it. Phil says he'll stick together to March, then carry on.

In March, a hefty group are outside the One Stop - I'd forgotten about this shop. I polish off two cream buns, ask for help opening my juice, and enjoy a sit before pressing on alone. On the way out of March, a sharp curve in the road allows a lovely view of oilseed rape in the foreground, and two audaxers pressing into the wind in the distance. I enjoy soaking in the landscape on my own, until I get to the B1098 where I wish I'd made the effort to stay with others. Two deliberate close passes and a fist-waving-toot. It's a relief to turn off.

At Nordelph, a few audaxers appear behind and we agree on the control answer. One of them turns out to be Felix, and we set off together. It turns out we have both been looking at similar things throughout the ride. We get to a section of road that clearly runs parallel to the river, pop our bikes down and scramble up for a look at the Great Ouse. Fantastic!

The first spots of rain start, and I pop my jacket on while taking a photo of passing audaxers.

Through Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen. Is it pronounced "Maud-lin" as in the Cambridge college, or "Mag-del-en"? I remember that there is a Magdalen square and street in Norwich which is (or used to be) pronounced "mag-del-en". We admire buildings - Barnack limestone on the churches, clunch, Dutch gable ends, carr stone - and wonder about old railway lines. The wind picks up, and I start to drop back; Felix invites me to hop on his wheel and I accept gladly. Then the rain starts in earnest; it is heavy, but doesn't last too long. Peeling off to the cycle path into King's Lynn, Felix is full of all my favourite trivia; sand quarried locally transported by rail to Warrington for glass making, carr stone quarried at Downham Market, the Campbell's soup factory. We live in such a small and interconnected country; I love understanding how it is that things start off over here but end up over there. We think we modern folk are so smart, don't we, with our motorways and logistics hubs; but we forget that the move from water to rail to road is a recent development - and that people have been transporting heavy and difficult things for hundreds of years.

In King's Lynn, Felix presses on but I am gasping for a cup of tea and stop at the first cafe for a takeaway tea on the quayside next to the ferry jetty. People mooch around. The wind doesn't let up, and all my things need holding down. Chris texts; "looks like you're doing well!". I'm not feeling great; the wind has taken its toll and my belly is not happy about food. I manage to eat a sandwich by washing each mouthful down with tea. Come on, you'll feel a bit better with that tailwind.

Off again. Round the customs house, round the market square, off onto a nice cycle path. Nice to pick up the cycle path that Chris and I did a year (or was it two?) ago, when we had a one-off night off and took the train to King's Lynn before cycling up to Hunstanton. On that occasion, the A1078 was being dug up - but now there is a lovely shiny new cycle path! Thanks GdS!

Roydon common is just lovely. Dappled light through silver birch trees and inviting grass glens. Woodland birds dot about. Yellow gorse interspersed with woodland. I think about this sandy streak that runs across East Anglia, between here and Dunwich. More and more carrstone in the houses - even modern new builds, which is nice. The older houses have huge chunks of carrstone. In Grimston, I stop to take a picture of the clock tower, and think about the prevalence of clock towers round here.

Felix had pointed out the number of chapels - rather than churches - like in Wales. I'd said that I have a friend who is a methodist minister, and I had been very disappointed to learn that Primitive Chapels didn't consist of parishioners sitting round a fire, wearing animal skins, singing hymns that go "uuuuuggg, ugg ugg ugg". I wonder if the increased number of chapels round here - which don't normally have clocks, unlike churches - explains the increased number of clock towers too?

On the way down to Gayton, Amy and a few others come up and we ride together. A promising field of tulips beckons from behind a hedge; we turn into the next gap and are met with two enormous piles of muck, which amuses me greatly.

The tulips are astonishing, the colours so vivid against the huge blue sky.

We head off, collecting other people, and wiggle round to the control which is the site of the next tulip field. Sadly it's not quite as impressive. I head off again on my own, still not feeling fast enough to sit with others.
Denver Sluice is as interesting as I remember from last coming through here - I think not since our 2018 summer tour.

A great-crested grebe dives, his beautiful snakey neck barely breaking the water. Round to the sluice where the Great Ouse and the Ouse relief channel meet, and there is Felix! We sit in the sun with our picnic. He has done some offroad to get here, past a church with a great doorway, and it sounds glorious. We ride off together along Ten Mile Bank, marvelling at the idea of living out here. I'm not sure if I could cope with living here, but it is glorious to spend time within this landscape. To feel the enormousness of the world, to see the size of the sky - a feeling of "you are here" with a big arrow, X marks the spot. We ride along contentedly together, trading trivia and tales of family life. Then there's Ely Cathedral, the ship of the fens! We stop to marvel at the stonework and gargoyles, some of whom seem quite new.

Joe is outside the co-op so we leave bikes with him. My stomach has revived and I am desperate for protein. Ooh, and coconut water - that'll perk me up and should be able to last until Huntingdon for a wee. Off we go again. I lead Felix onto the A142 cycle path; we drop into Witchford and through Grunty Fen. It always strikes me as a bizarrely empty place where anything might happen, like a little taster for the really big open fen landscapes in Lincolnshire. A road called Station Road and a row of railway workers cottages - hmm, what's that about? Later Wikipedia clicking reveals it was part of the Ely to St Ives line, calling at: Ely, Stretham, Wilburton, Sutton, Earith Bridge, Bluntisham and St Ives. A brief view of Berristead House in Wilburton has us marvelling at the huge frontage, and all those handmade bricks.
I'd been dreading Twenty Pence Road, but it passes quickly enough with company - and at this time of day, there's no traffic. We pick up Joe and Alex in Cottenham, and then it's off to the busway. Felix is thrilled at the expanse of tarmac; it's easy for locals to get complacent about the busway. At last, I have useful energy to sit on front, and tow our little band to St Ives. In Hemingford Abbots, I pull up by the previously-identified post box: another group turns up and says the control is the next post box, so I write down both answers. Through the common (look Felix, another old railway line!) bunnies leap about. I hold the gate open and end up at the back of our group - they all head off round the one-way system in Huntingdon and I nip through the town, and somehow I arrive at the pub first. A lovely welcome inside the pub, then a cup of tea and some food. Somehow the wind and rain is forgiven and forgotten, and everyone is happy and pleased to have made it. It's nice to sit with Felix and Joe, digesting the day.

Podcast on and my journey home is unremarkable until I get to near the Barton Road roundabout between Grantchester and Coton. By that stubby siding to a farm are a couple of cars parked half on the grass verge, half on the cycle path. No problemo, plenty of room for me. I round the corner, and there are three cars parked up blocking the whole path - and about twenty people milling about on the grass. Not wanting to lump down into a potentially potholey road in the dark, I charge through on the grass "'scuse me! Thank you!". Bizarre. Then at the end of the Barton cyclepath, another strange happening: in the petrol station, there are about eight cars all parked up, and another fifteen to twenty people milling about. One car is up on jacks, and they are changing wheels. I fully expect to be chased down the road, but see no more of any of them. How very odd.
Chug chug chug, home! Back inside 18 hours. I'm pleased with that, given the headwinds earlier. Lovely day out, lovely to spend time in the Fens. Thanks GdS! :-)

« Reply #196 on: 22 April, 2024, 08:47:35 am »
Lovely write up, you capture so much more of the places we pass through than I do.  I guess I was too busy watching the many birds of prey surfing the wind and taking in the big skies. Loved that you rode past the piles of muck, along the field dirt all the way down to the good tulip field.  I should have done that in retrospect. One event, a hundred different impressions and stories.

GdS

« Reply #197 on: 22 April, 2024, 09:03:02 am »
Excellent RR SF  :thumbsup:

With such a lot of relative nothingness on the ride I suppose we all have things to look out for. The original route apparently crossed or paralleled 47 different waterways.

For me a highlight is looking out for consecutive number plates as old vehicles are common in those parts (also like the IOW) but getting rarer as they fail their MOTs or get replaced by newer agricultural kit and 4x4s instead of Land Rovers. I'm up to 513 having started in 2010, saw 512 on a Volvo estate on the way up on Friday. There's a good source on the road after Barroway Drove including a collector of Commer vans.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #198 on: 22 April, 2024, 10:26:14 am »

For me a highlight is looking out for consecutive number plates as old vehicles are common in those parts...

I wish you hadn't shared that, I think I'll have a new obsession.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #199 on: 22 April, 2024, 12:08:55 pm »
Hah, those Commer vans were pointed out - I am a complete dunce on motor vehicle flavours and was only just about able to tell that they were a bit like VW camper vans but different..

On the birdlife front, I had forgotten that we had a superb display from a lapwing on Ten Mile Bank - it took off nearby, and turned around in the sky right in front of us, so we got a brilliant view of the shape of its wings. Lovely birds. Only saw a couple of red kites, but did have one good aerial display as it fought the wind!