Author Topic: Killing time in London  (Read 6896 times)

Killing time in London
« on: 23 April, 2008, 10:36:22 am »
I've a few hours to kill on Friday whilst waiting for a connection.

Any recommendations of places to eat, things to see/do within walking distance of kings cross to keep me from getting bored? 
Don't ask.

Re: Killing time in London
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:40:54 am »
St Pancras?

Take your camera: plenty to shoot. If you are adventurous, the British Museum ain't far and really a nice place to hang around.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:46:27 am »
Housmans bookshop, if you're leftly-inclined....

British Library has some good exhibitions.

Friends House (Quaker HQ) on Euston Road is worth a visit, and has a good bookshop

There's a great greasy spoon cafe my son found - I'll try & remember where it was (decent eating round KX isn't easy)
Getting there...

ian

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2008, 10:51:19 am »
Haven't they yet nuked the estates off Pentonville Road from orbit and rebranded King's Cross as Regent's Quarter? I think that's the plan...

Anyway, turn right out of King's Cross / St Pancras and wander along Euston Road. This will ensure you get a good, healthy dose of fumes. But also you'll stumble across the British Library and, a bit further along, the Wellcome Collection (both have good exhibitions - the Wellcome Collection is very good if you have sciency-medical interests).

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2008, 11:11:40 am »
I have no idea if it's still the same, but the area around KingsX used to have a lot of hotels with rooms to rent by the hour, you may find something to do there perhaps?
 ;)

« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:11:27 pm »
Thanks, some good ideas. And a not so good one.  ::-)

I'd forgotten that the British library was close by. Its always been closed when I've been near in the past. Defiantly worth checking out.

Don't ask.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:30:14 pm »
What time?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:37:08 pm »
What time?

Get into St Pancras just after 11:00. Leaving at 1430ish.

You around then?
Don't ask.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2008, 01:50:34 pm »
Oh bother I can't make and you can't make the CM either.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:01:53 pm »
Thanks, some good ideas. And a not so good one.  ::-)

Sorry  :-[

In my defence the much more sensible British Library suggestion had already been made.

« Reply #10 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:19:30 pm »
When I read the title to this thread I envisioned morbid scenes on the streets of our capital, but now I see it's not that sort of killing time all all.

You could always go and check out the blinging bikes at Condor Cycles - 51 Grays Inn Road

« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2008, 02:21:17 pm »
When I read the title to this thread I envisioned morbid scenes on the streets of our capital, but now I see it's not that sort of killing time all all.

You could always go and check out the blinging bikes at Condor Cycles - 51 Grays Inn Road

Is the correct answer.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:42:48 pm »
If you look in the nearby phone boxes, there are lots of lovely ladies waiting to show you around.  Some of them are new in town and have their own dungeons.

Alternatively, you can take a tube somewhere more interesting.  Kings Cross smells of wee, and the last time I went in the station bar (Coopers) there was literally wee dripping through the ceiling  :sick:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2008, 04:57:54 pm »
The British Library is amazing, but for the best experience, you need to do the tour - I loved it when I went a couple of years ago and recommend it highly.  Sadly, your times aren't going to coincide.

What about a trip to the Sherlock Holmes Museum?

I'd avoid Madame Tussauds and the Planetarium.  I'm told that they're crap.

Don't go to Condor.  If you do, don't take your credit card.  Srsly  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:00:59 pm »
If you're peckish, stop off at the Paolina cafe - one of those places where you can wander in by yourself with a good book and not feel out of place. 

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:04:05 pm »
The Planetarium is indeed crap, having been decommissioned a little while ago.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:11:29 pm »
The British Library is amazing, but for the best experience, you need to do the tour - I loved it when I went a couple of years ago and recommend it highly.  Sadly, your times aren't going to coincide.

What about a trip to the Sherlock Holmes Museum?

I'd avoid Madame Tussauds and the Planetarium.  I'm told that they're crap.

Don't go to Condor.  If you do, don't take your credit card.  Srsly  :D

The Planetarium is no more; Tussauds filled it with pop and film stars  :-[ :-[
Madame Tussauds is horrible IMO anyway.

There is a planetarium in Greenwich, but that's too distant for the OP.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:14:18 pm »
The Planetarium is indeed crap, having been decommissioned a little while ago.

It was crap before it was decommissioned anyway, long queues ending in a 15 minute Disney pirate film, projected onto the dome.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:16:58 pm »
There are often free lunchtime concerts at St Pancras church nearby.

[Edit] Sorry, looks like the concerts are all on Thursdays.  :-[

http://www.stpancraschurch.org/index.php?id=16

[2nd Edit] There is an art exhibition open there when you are in the area.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #19 on: 23 April, 2008, 05:36:39 pm »
It usually takes a few hours just to get out of London again...  ;)

But seriously, there are some fabulous small museums like the Sir John Soames and the (further out) Horniman Collection (stop it, I know what you're thinking...). Kew is also a way out but wonderful if expensive... there are some amazing bookshops - I like Daunt's Books for Travellers in Marylebone (not far from Baker Street actually - mind you, the only reason to go to the Sherlock Holmes museum would probably be if you want to meet Japanese women...). Or you could do something more more quirky and go find the sites of abandoned tube stations or old WW2 deep shelters...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #20 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:09:32 am »
Madame Tussauds?

You'll see much more lifelike waxworks at a 240km Audax control.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #21 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:17:15 am »

mr endon

« Reply #22 on: 24 April, 2008, 12:19:38 am »
http://www.chesscenter.com/storelocation.html ,
and a stroll in Regent's Park

Nick H.

« Reply #23 on: 24 April, 2008, 01:11:10 am »
If it were me I'd jump on the super-speedy Victoria Line, get to Oxford Circus in five whole minutes, and do Soho. But if you want to walk, how about:

- 400m south is the Brunswick Centre in Brunswick Square - a nice little nest of restaurants and stuff in a curious '60s development which has been restored  http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1929066,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=6

- 1 minute south east of that is http://www.bikefix.co.uk/ in Lambs Conduit St where you can test ride assorted recumbents or an Airnimal or even an 8 Freight http://www.bikefix.co.uk/index.php?unique=cb320f915a6a51d5b8521612ccbb7450&get_ol_id=7&get_gl_id=37&get_sgl_id=79#a37

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #24 on: 24 April, 2008, 02:46:05 am »
It usually takes a few hours just to get out of London again...  ;)

But seriously, there are some fabulous small museums like the Sir John Soames and the (further out) Horniman Collection (stop it, I know what you're thinking...). Kew is also a way out but wonderful if expensive... there are some amazing bookshops - I like Daunt's Books for Travellers in Marylebone (not far from Baker Street actually - mind you, the only reason to go to the Sherlock Holmes museum would probably be if you want to meet Japanese women...). Or you could do something more more quirky and go find the sites of abandoned tube stations or old WW2 deep shelters...

The Horniman Museum is in Sydenham/Forest Gate and probably too far off for someone who needs to get back to St Pancras IMO.

There's plenty much closer to hand.