Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952044 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7550 on: 28 October, 2017, 09:52:27 am »
Wednesday: Mulholland Drive. I'm still processing that.

Such a great film. Possibly my all-time favourite. Certainly top three.

Just don't try to pretend you understand it, eh? ;)

My first time to see it. Wow! A lot to take in, very visually stimulating and loved the soundtrack esp the 1950s style singing audition. Still, plot confusing to me but I'll have another go - or just don't try to understand it, eh?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7551 on: 28 October, 2017, 01:05:53 pm »
It's there but it's as convoluted as a bucket of tripe.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #7552 on: 28 October, 2017, 01:18:54 pm »
I'm liking my superpower even more now I think about it. My alter-ego is Origamo!

I was a superhero once.  I was "The Occupier".  Somehow, a bunch of catalogue companies traced me to my secret hideout and I had to give it up.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

simonp

« Reply #7553 on: 29 October, 2017, 09:45:46 am »
The 6th Sense.

« Reply #7554 on: 29 October, 2017, 10:30:15 am »
"A Murder of Quality", with Denholm Elliot making a very good stab at George Smiley.  Snobbery & skulduggery at a posh boarding school.

A wonderful leering performance from Joss Ackland as we as support from Glenda Jackson.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7555 on: 29 October, 2017, 12:53:48 pm »
"A Murder of Quality", with Denholm Elliot making a very good stab at George Smiley.  Snobbery & skulduggery at a posh boarding school.

A wonderful leering performance from Joss Ackland as we as support from Glenda Jackson.

Joss Ackland and Ronnie Pickup too. I'll maybe have a sniff at Amazon for that one.

Hah! IMDB on Joss Ackland - "the distinguished English actor... known for Lethal Weapon 2".  Shows you what Hollywood does with distinguished English actors.

ian

« Reply #7556 on: 30 October, 2017, 09:58:49 pm »
Thor: Ragnarok . The anti-Justice League – doesn't take itself in the teensiest bit seriously – and very awesomely funny. And lots of shit gets blown up, there's a giant dog, and more Hulk fights than you shake a big stick at (before the dog grabs it, anyway).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7557 on: 31 October, 2017, 08:42:01 am »
A rather good Ozzie thing called Otherlife - a bit like a long Black Mirror episode crossed with PKD*.

* pharmacokinetic dementia or Philip K. Dick, your choice.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7558 on: 31 October, 2017, 10:37:48 am »
Had a 'why not?" moment last night and watched Priscilla again.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #7559 on: 01 November, 2017, 12:48:25 pm »
Una, which was showing in a tiny independent cinema in a railway arch (I know, peak hipster, but it's 3 minutes walk from my home).
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7560 on: 02 November, 2017, 08:52:54 am »
The Death of Stalin.  Hilarious, really good.

The highlight for me was Jason Isaacs playing Zhukov like a northern Lord Flashheart.

« Reply #7561 on: 02 November, 2017, 09:26:25 am »
The Death of Stalin.  Hilarious, really good.

The highlight for me was Jason Isaacs playing Zhukov like a northern Lord Flashheart.

I saw Armando Iannucci talking about that on the One Show last week and thought it looked pretty good.  Shame that the ankle-biters pretty much rule out any chance of going to the flicks.

« Reply #7562 on: 02 November, 2017, 09:57:16 am »
We saw Death of Stalin on Saturday and really enjoyed it, and I agree with Wascally - Jason Isaacs was brilliant! You do have to remind yourself that it is only based on historical events rather than depicting the event - I am sure that the rest of the Politburo (or whatever they were collectively called in 1953) could not have been that inept.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #7563 on: 02 November, 2017, 10:29:21 am »
We saw Death of Stalin on Saturday and really enjoyed it, and I agree with Wascally - Jason Isaacs was brilliant! You do have to remind yourself that it is only based on historical events rather than depicting the event - I am sure that the rest of the Politburo (or whatever they were collectively called in 1953) could not have been that inept.

Yes, very much based on events rather than any claim to absolute historical accuracy.  I think it gets across the ideas well though.

There's a 1980s TV film on the same subject called the Red Monarch - not currently generally available on dvd (going for £30 on Amazon which is way too expensive) but I suspect that the rights holder will be getting it on the market sharpish with the success of this film.

A British comedy film on its third week of release and the performance I saw was still packed out. That's rare - it was a very un-popcorn crowd too.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7564 on: 02 November, 2017, 11:11:09 am »
I am sure that the rest of the Politburo (or whatever they were collectively called in 1953) could not have been that inept.

Why not? Being an idiot didn't stop Trump becoming the most powerful man in the world. The film brilliantly depicts how it is possible for people like that to rise to the top when the whole system is so utterly corrupt, and politicians are all driven by rampant personal ambition and a total lack of scruples. I'm not sure they are all that inept anyway - Beria, for example, is shown to be extremely effective at disposing of large numbers of political opponents.

The slapstick bits like when they're transferring Stalin's body from his office floor to his bed may be playing it for laughs a bit, but from what I understand, the film is actually very faithful to events as they happened. Anyway, even if it isn't a perfect documentary, it's absolutely spot on as a satire.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

fuzzy

« Reply #7565 on: 02 November, 2017, 12:32:50 pm »
The Man from Uncle.

Absolute fecking shite. Gave up after 30 minutes before I needed to poke my eyes out with a white hot blunted rusty spoon.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #7566 on: 02 November, 2017, 01:34:31 pm »
The Man from Uncle.

Absolute fecking shite. Gave up after 30 minutes before I needed to poke my eyes out with a white hot blunted rusty spoon.

It's a Guy Ritchie film. Best avoided.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7567 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:04:41 pm »
Our dog looks more like Mr. Waverly than Hugh Grant does:

simonp

« Reply #7568 on: 02 November, 2017, 04:09:21 pm »
Captain Phillips.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7569 on: 03 November, 2017, 10:40:50 pm »
Baby Driver

That kind of movie should be right up my alley, but I didn't like it much. Just didn't find the protagonist very likeable.
10 points for using Jon Spencers Blues Explosion for the title track, though.

Watched it this evening. Actually enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting to. And that opening sequence is breathtaking - the music definitely helps.

Perhaps the rest of the film doesn’t quite live up to it though, and my wife thought the violence got a bit excessive towards the end but I reckon it got away with it because it was all done with great flair and style, plus a touch of humour - possibly would have liked it to be more overtly comedic like Hot Fuzz, in fact (the gag with the masks made me laugh out loud).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7570 on: 04 November, 2017, 09:00:58 am »
Fury.  Fascinating tanks, acceptable story.  I'd watch it again for the former, Mrs. T42 wouldn't, for the latter.

« Reply #7571 on: 04 November, 2017, 12:57:58 pm »
... There's a 1980s TV film on the same subject called the Red Monarch - not currently generally available on dvd (going for £30 on Amazon which is way too expensive) ...

It's £6-69, here.
Actually, it is rocket science.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #7572 on: 05 November, 2017, 06:58:34 pm »
A year or two back I made a Ferris Bueller reference in the office and not a single one of my colleagues got it.  I accidentally spotted this week that it was showing at one of our local cinemas, and determined that my children should not grow up in the same woeful ignorance as my colleagues so took the Cubs, the SmallestSuperheroNextDoor and his mam (who, like me, had never seen ot on the big screen but apparently watched it so frequently as a teen that our local video shop used to chuck it in for free with her Saturday night rental if she didn't take it out!) to see it this afternoon.  12A for sweariness, so I forewarned the SmallestCub although I did say that, from memory, it would be nowhere near as sweary as the Curious Incident which we went to see in the theatre in Newcastle a while back.

T'was very splendid.  And the chap sitting next to us in the cinema almost managed to not recite the entire script :)

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #7573 on: 06 November, 2017, 09:55:49 am »
... There's a 1980s TV film on the same subject called the Red Monarch - not currently generally available on dvd (going for £30 on Amazon which is way too expensive) ...

It's £6-69, here.

Cheers Tim, duly ordered!

hillbilly

« Reply #7574 on: 06 November, 2017, 12:28:04 pm »
Thor - Ragnarok.  Follows the basic Marvel formula. 

If you like Avengers (not Jane Peel...), Iron Man, Ant Man, GotG... then you'll probably like this.  It's knowing, laugh out loud funny, fast paced and a good bit of entertainment.  But entirely inconsequential. 

If you haven't seen these then I'd wait until home release (or simply watch Avengers Assemble which remains the best example of the Marvel universe).