Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391031 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #800 on: 03 September, 2015, 11:01:32 pm »
Is it me? (might be, I don't know who you really are... I've just about got on top of a backlog after being away for a fortnight. Occasionally something does get overlooked... a gentle enquiry/reminder would be in order anyway.)

« Reply #801 on: 04 September, 2015, 12:40:46 am »
Is it me? (might be, I don't know who you really are... I've just about got on top of a backlog after being away for a fortnight. Occasionally something does get overlooked... a gentle enquiry/reminder would be in order anyway.)

Nope, not you! It's not been very long at all really, just usually very quick! I was wondering if post-PBP/end of season was making a difference or something.

Probably just on holiday or something! I feel as though I sound like I'm complaining, I'm not!

« Reply #802 on: 07 October, 2015, 06:53:57 pm »
Beginner level GPS question.  Just bought myself an Etrex 10 in order to secure entry into the Perm / DIY by GPS world.  Does the following sound about right in terms of what I need to do in order to record and validate a ride:

1) Travel to start
2) Turn on Etrex 10
3) Reset trip data
4) Do the ride
5) Turn Etrex 10 off without saving anything
6) Plug Etrex 10 into my computer and copy the file named Current.gpx onto my PC so that I can then email it to the organiser

(The "without saving anything" seems particularly counter-intuitive, but as far as I can tell that's what the advice is.)

I'll worry about "intermediate level" stuff like what to do overnight on long rides or what to do whilst changing batteries later.  For the time being, would be very grateful if my "six steps" look about right … thx in advance
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #803 on: 08 October, 2015, 07:06:31 am »
Beginner level GPS question.  Just bought myself an Etrex 10 in order to secure entry into the Perm / DIY by GPS world.  Does the following sound about right in terms of what I need to do in order to record and validate a ride:

1) Travel to start
2) Turn on Etrex 10
3) Reset trip data
4) Do the ride
5) Turn Etrex 10 off without saving anything
6) Plug Etrex 10 into my computer and copy the file named Current.gpx onto my PC so that I can then email it to the organiser

(The "without saving anything" seems particularly counter-intuitive, but as far as I can tell that's what the advice is.)

I'll worry about "intermediate level" stuff like what to do overnight on long rides or what to do whilst changing batteries later.  For the time being, would be very grateful if my "six steps" look about right … thx in advance

Test and modify your procedure by doing some short 5 milers round the block until you are confident the procedure is correct.

Define - Measure - Analyse - Improve - Control.

« Reply #804 on: 08 October, 2015, 07:51:06 am »
I use an etrex 30.  My routine is the same as you propose with an added caviat for Point 6; don't switch on again until after midnight.  If you ensure that the device is set to 'archive at midnight' or whatever the menu option is on your device, you then pickup the latest track in the Archive Folder.

I've found that I get an added portion to the track as a straight line from end of ride to the place where the device is when switched back on.  I would experiment with Archiving Current Track if you want to switch on before the next day, I'm sure it will be just the same as Auto Archive.  You will have to do that before moving from your last Check Point or you'll still get the 'Straight Line Effect'
Tandem Riders Do It Together
188 miles NNE of Marsh Gibbon

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #805 on: 08 October, 2015, 08:29:32 am »
I was never that convinced by the 'do not save' and turn off the device advice.  It's fine if you're going straight back home and can turn on the computer but if you're away and doing other rides then it all gets a bit messy.  The other issue is that you may be riding to and from the start point and want a track just on the DIY route.

I have always saved the track and not cleared it so that I could always use the 'current' track if there was a problem.  I've never had a problem with our DIY org and he may give a view on this. You could check with the org that you're submitting to whether a saved GPX track is ok?

« Reply #806 on: 08 October, 2015, 09:05:31 am »
he may give a view on this

I'll try! I've just been looking for something which I think came from the highest authority (Francis) recently, but can't find it: I think he said that the "do not save your track" was no longer appropriate, and had only ever applied to one particular type of GPS device anyway.

As an organiser (with limited computer expertise), I've never noticed a problem over whether or not a track has been "saved".

With my own etrex 30, I can't even get a track onto my computer unless I do save it. The DIY org who deals with my tracks hasn't found this a problem.

Also, thanks notlobgp14 ! Now I know how to avoid getting that straight line!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #807 on: 08 October, 2015, 09:38:26 am »
Tony

It's in that thread about forging DIY by GPS on the other forum.

« Reply #808 on: 08 October, 2015, 09:59:07 am »
Thanks AM.

This is the bit I was looking for (I was wrong about who wrote it):

"The 'do not save tracklog on GPS' always confused me.... because I never found out how to do it on an Etrex anyway.  Turns out it's an Edge thing anyway.
And 'complete the electronic brevet card'    with what additional detail ?   I've always just responded to the organiser's email with a copy of the .gpx and had it accepted."

Yes, the "electronic brevet card" bit is definitely superfluous to how the system is used now.

« Reply #809 on: 08 October, 2015, 12:22:47 pm »
Thank you to all who responded. I will be testing and learning over the next few days.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #810 on: 08 October, 2015, 01:32:27 pm »
I don't have an Etrex 10, so I'm going by my Oregon, but:

3) Reset trip data

You want to reset the track data before the ride, not just the trip data.  Otherwise it'll still have some old track hanging about from previous use when you send it in.

Resetting the trip data is worth doing too, so the numbers for distance and speed etc you see while on the ride are correct.

(Someone correct me if the two reset functions are combined in the new Etrex, but they certainly aren't in my Oregon.)

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #811 on: 08 October, 2015, 02:09:47 pm »
(Someone correct me if the two reset functions are combined in the new Etrex, but they certainly aren't in my Oregon.)

Yes, following a software update there was a new button on the reset menu to do a combined clear track AND trip data so I guess that this is incorporated into the new etrex range. It's a good addition  :thumbsup:

« Reply #812 on: 08 October, 2015, 02:30:17 pm »
Ah, ok.  That seems a fairly sound change from a user-interface point of view.

« Reply #813 on: 13 October, 2015, 04:35:11 pm »
There some events I want to do again next year but they aren't listed for 2016 or the new season. Is it possible they will be added later ? Oasts and Coasts and Man of Kent are the ones I am looking for.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #814 on: 14 October, 2015, 09:34:20 pm »
There some events I want to do again next year but they aren't listed for 2016 or the new season. Is it possible they will be added later ? Oasts and Coasts and Man of Kent are the ones I am looking for.

E-mail to the org in the first instance, as to...

[hat] Barring BRM's, I won't hassle Org's for any action until the copydate of Arrivee before the quarter of their event, IYSWIM, so non-electronic readers get time [/hat]
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #815 on: 15 October, 2015, 04:45:18 pm »

E-mail to the org in the first instance, as to...

[hat] Barring BRM's, I won't hassle Org's for any action until the copydate of Arrivee before the quarter of their event, IYSWIM, so non-electronic readers get time [/hat]

Cool thanks, I've found out that Oasts and Coasts will be added sooner than later. I'll be patient for the Man of Kent one though :)

« Reply #816 on: 25 October, 2015, 07:43:25 pm »
Bit of an embarrassing question, but I'm looking to achieve a Brevet 500 and Randonneur 500 in my first season - can I count one of the 100km rides 'twice' to achieve both awards (i.e. do a 50km, 5x100km, 150km and 200km)?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #817 on: 25 October, 2015, 08:08:49 pm »
Yes.

EDIT: From memory, you may also be able to count the 150 towards your 5 x 100.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #818 on: 25 October, 2015, 08:12:58 pm »
Easy as that. Thanks.

« Reply #819 on: 27 October, 2015, 12:00:29 pm »
Easy as that. Thanks.

I think it's even easier ...

AIUI (and you'd be better off speaking to someone who *actually* knows ...) rides for the Brevet and Randonneur series get counted independently of each other, so (given that, as LWaB says, the B500 is made up of 5x100 or 150km events), you could ride 50, 100, 150 and 200 for your R500, then top up with 3 more 100s to get your B500.

(And because longer events can substitute for shorter in the R500 series, one of those extra 100s could be substituted for the 50 ...)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #820 on: 27 October, 2015, 12:16:44 pm »
Having done just that last season, I can confirm that it works.

At some point I decided to go for the Brevet 1000, but forgot that the 200 wouldn't count towards it.  :facepalm:

Audax Monster

• Are you local???
« Reply #821 on: 27 October, 2015, 03:39:06 pm »
Sorry - boring question.....  do the events for an SR series have to be calendar events?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #822 on: 27 October, 2015, 03:48:10 pm »
No for AUK, yes for ACP.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #823 on: 27 October, 2015, 03:50:01 pm »
Which answer do you want?

No (if you want them to count for an AUK SR award, then perms are fine)
Yes (if you want eg recognition by ACP and potential qualification for PBP, then they have to be calendar events, and specifically BRM ones at that).

(Pipped to it by LWaB. Bah.)

« Reply #824 on: 27 October, 2015, 06:56:29 pm »
Easy as that. Thanks.

I think it's even easier ...

AIUI (and you'd be better off speaking to someone who *actually* knows ...) rides for the Brevet and Randonneur series get counted independently of each other, so (given that, as LWaB says, the B500 is made up of 5x100 or 150km events), you could ride 50, 100, 150 and 200 for your R500, then top up with 3 more 100s to get your B500.

(And because longer events can substitute for shorter in the R500 series, one of those extra 100s could be substituted for the 50 ...)

Back of the net! Not that I want an excuse to ride less, but that does mean that I can get those two badges early in the season and concentrate on longer rides as summer approaches. Thanks for the info.