Author Topic: αdαmsκι's SR  (Read 4007 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
αdαmsκι's SR
« on: 28 January, 2010, 09:26:05 pm »
αdαmsκι's SR: The Bryan Chapman Memorial 600

The Bryan Chapman Memorial

For those who don’t already know, the Bryan Chapman Memorial ride starts in Chepstow, goes up to Menai on Anglesey via Rhayader, Barmouth and Pen-y-Pass and then back to Chepstow via Dolgellau and Newtown. It’s just over 600 km and goes across some of Wales’ finest hills and through some stunning scenery. I was really looking forward to this ride.

Prologue

Turning up at the campsite the night before attempting you first 600 km ride with a bike that doesn’t have a chain or cassette fitted probably isn’t too sensible. My excuse was I’d removed the parts on Thursday to clean them, but felt lazy and instead took them into work on Friday to “borrow” the ultra-sonic cleaner. That didn’t actually happen and on Friday evening I was sat at the campsite refitting my dirty chain and cassette. I was still checking I had the right things in my saddlebag at gone 9 pm until ChrisN shouted at me to stop faffing, advice that was very much needed. I went to bed.

Saturday

As ChrisN and I rode the few kilometres from the campsite to the start of the ride it was clear it was going to be a lovely day. At 6am Mark gave us a safety talk and then we were off to Anglesey. The initially section I had done two weeks previous in the rain and dark on the final leg of the Brevet Cymru and therefore I knew I had a climb to do right from the off up to Shirenewton but this would just be a warm up for later in the day. The first section to Bronllys was quick and ridden mainly in large group and the climb along the A479 past Cwmdu was lovely.

Flatus and I left Bronllys together and formed a partnership that would remain solid until we got back to Chepstow; which is more than can be said about Flatus’ knee…. This is also where we were joined by Mr. Sucky. Between Bronllys and Builth Wells the route follows the A470, but to avoid the main road we took the scenic option on the eastern side of the Wye River, much to the confusion of Mr. Sucky; nor did he appreciate the jokes Flatus and I were making about their only being a couple of 20% hills on the scenic option…. Following the Wye was beautiful and I really like cycling this particular road. Once past Builth Wells we were on the main road and into a headwind all the way to Llangurig. Having people to share the work on this section is very useful if people are prepared to do the work. Mr. Sucky was quiet happy to do nothing to help and when we did force him onto the front he stayed there for about half the time Flatus or I were on the front, and also slowed down. Although to be fair to Mr. Sucky, he did take the front a lot more frequently around Ponterwyd, although that didn’t help too much because the road was now pointing downwards! In Bow Street Mr. Sucky darted through the traffic while Flatus and I were happy to wait for the cars to clear. After 100 km we were freed from Mr. Sucky, but a few kilometres later we were at the control in Tre'r Ddol.

I hadn’t enjoyed the section from Builth because of the main road drag (clearly the better option is across the Elan Valley) and I wasn’t enjoying myself very much. The next section would proved to be a lot more enjoyed, helped no doubt by the tactical departure from Tre’r Ddol without Mr. Sucky. ChrisN has told me the climb past the Centre for Alternative Technology was fun and so it proved to be; a lovely gradient and after that the scenery properly began as Cadar Idris rose up in front of us. With the blue skies and the sun, this was stunning. By 3pm we were at the Kings Youth Hostel just outside Dolgellau and picking up extra clothes because we knew it would be night time by the time we’d cycled up to Menai and back to the hostel.

Flatus lead the way across to the Barmouth toll bridge, via a gravel path, a crossing and recrossing of the railway line and a return to the nice tarmac road I pointed out two minutes ago. Good work mate! I’ve never been across the bridge before and I was amazed at the views one gets looking up the estuary to the mountains. Everyone should walk or cycle across the bridge at some point in their life. Between Barmouth and Harlech I was at the front and enjoying the magnificent views of the blue sky and sea and the Lleyn peninsula. Flatus’ couldn’t enjoy the views because he was too busy sucking my wheel and trying to ignore the pain in his knee that would continue for the rest of the ride. Harlech castle is impressive as ever, although it could do with someone singing Men of Harlech at that point. As we approached Beddgelert I taught Flatus’ the tale of the hound Gelert.

I’ve driven up to Pen-y-Pass main times and I knew what was in store for me on that climb and so I could just enjoy the climb and views of Snowdon, Cwm Dyli power station, the James Bond pipeline and Nant Gwyant in the evening light. Flatus and I regrouped at Pen-y-Pass and sorted out clothing for the descent down Llanberis. We did wonder if Mark could arrange for some lovely ladies to stand at the top of the climb with newspapers to stuff down ones jersey in a Tour de France-esque style. The descent down Llanberis was tricky as I tried to keep my eyes on the road, take in the magic of the valley and check out the crags as well (no one seemed to be climbing on The Cromlech). Soon we were in Bangor and crossing Telford’s famous bridge to Menai. The control at Menai was stocked with excellent food and friendly, helpful helpers. I can imagine it’s easy to get trapped here if you arrive late and/or the weather is bad.

We sat off again around 7.30pm and retraced our steps for a bit, giving us the chance to see people heading in the opposite direction. The next section involved stops to put on more clothes at various times as the temperature started to drop. I was hurting on the way to Beddgelert, but quickly perked up as we plummeted into Beddgelert because I realised my pain had been caused by the unrelenting, but gradual, climb we’d just done. The beautiful day was being replaced by a beautiful evening and the only thing left for the day was a climb past Trawsfynydd; a climb I had done 12 years previous and remember hating. I hated it this time, too. I just find that climb slog and I wanted to be back at the hostel and in bed. It wasn’t helped by either the heart burn I was experiencing or my front derailleur that was not working properly. To move into the small ring I had to stop and manheld the chain, but soon Dolgellau arrived and then onto the hostel. We arrived at 11.45pm and were promptly looked after by the guys ‘n’ gals manning the hostel as they gave us food and sent us off to the shower and the bed. I fall asleep happy. I was woken up in the night by the sound of rain hammering on the roof and at the same time felt happy I was in bed and sorry for the people still out on the road.

Sunday

We were woken up as arranged at 5am and as we got up folks who’d just arrived, wet through, took over our bed for a few hours sleep. Poor buggers. The weather was horrible and as we were in no rush Flatus and I decided on a leisurely morning to see what would happen with the weather. By 6am we’d eaten, the rain had stopped and we started making moves for the off. The morning proved beautiful. The rain from the night was hanging on the hills giving beautiful coverings of mist with the sun breaking through here and there. We slogged our way up the climb along the A470 and I then freewheeled my way down the other side. OK, I freewheeled in a tuck position, but still I was amazed to see my computer saying I’d hit 83 km/h. I wasn’t trying to go fast, although pedaling at those speeds wouldn’t make any difference to the speeds. Flatus and I then regrouped and headed along to Newtown in happy sprits. There was now only 150 km to go – it’s funny how the idea of scale changes when one is on a long ride! We weren’t in a rush, the weather was fantastic, the scenery stunning and it was a great day to be on the bike.

The climb out of Newtown was lovely. It goes on for a long time, but it’s at a good gradient. At Dolfor you turn onto up the B-road. This is step, my front derailleur wouldn’t change down into the small ring and so I took the only choice I had which was to sprint up it at a silly speed. All good fun and I was happily surprised my legs would still perform that task after ~500 km of cycling. At the top of the climb I realised I could change gear by flicking the chain with my foot and this would be the approach for the rest of the ride, much to the amusement of Flatus. This is the highest point above sea level in the whole route, which after passing through Snowdonia is somewhat surprising. The descent off the moor around the hairpins was exhilarating. Soon we were at Knighton and we then went off-piste from the official route as Flatus had a route in his GPS from here to Weobley. The surfaces of the lanes were really bad, which made this section mentally tiring as you had to constantly concentrate to avoid potholes, gravel etc. and while the long hills of north Wales are behind you, there are lots of short, step, hills. The ride certainly isn’t over! I was relieved when we reached Weobley - sitting in the village square on the grass covered in blossom, eating ice cream and talking to other riders about their experiences is one of the (many) highlights of the ride.

After Weobley there was another section of lanes passing through fields that were bright yellow with the oil seed rape and everywhere was heavily scented. The lanes were still in an awful state and I was relieved once we got to the main road. The climb up to Llancloudy was hard work, but then a quick descent into Monmouth, an explosion as my water bottle escaped just as a I caught up with Mal Volio and then along the Wye Valley to Chepstow. We finished just after 5pm and just avoided the rain. Perfect.

Epilogue

That was my first 600 km ride, which completes my first SR series after doing my first audax ride in January. The 600 km ride was fab. There were a couple of parts I didn’t enjoy, but generally it was all great and I ended the ride without feeling too tired. It was excellent to have company for the entire ride and I am very grateful to all the helpers on the ride. The next challenge will be a 1,200 km ride in July.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: My first audax - the 2010 Willy Warmer
« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2010, 09:38:05 pm »
You did well there m'dear but be warned, it seems you have the bug.

H

αdαmsκι

αdαmsκι's SR
« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2010, 08:23:08 am »
αdαmsκι's SR: The Elenith 300

The Elenith is a ride with a reputation, being the early season 300. Leading up to the event I was nervous, not of the distance, but of the 4,700 m of assent. The Devils Staircase, with gradients of 25% was freaking me out a bit too much. Friday came around and after work I was off to the campsite at Wolverly. Some fettling of the bike that evening was required as I'd noticed the chain was rubbing when I was in the granny gear and I was anticipating it getting a lot of use. Thence to the pub for dinner.

At 6am on Saturday everything was covered in frost, but it promised to be a beautiful day. I de-iced the bike and then realised I couldn't find my bike computer. After much searching it was time to head off to the start and I had to accept I wouldn't know my speed for the day. The first section of the ride was cold and I was very glad I'd bought knee warmers when I was in the bike shop on Thursday evening. Once I settled into the ride the nerves went away as my legs started doing their stuff. The bash along the main road to Shobdon was a good start to the ride and a nice warm up. The next thing I had to look forward to was the assent up past Fforest Inn, which I didn't find it too bad and I was happily cycling along with a few others. Built Wells arrived around 11am, where I had the pleasure of meeting Mal Volio and Flatus / Monsieur Pumpé.

I now knew the easy section was pretty much over and the hills would begin. The next section up to and beyond Beulah was cycled with Trumpet

Trumpet cycling up the valley just beyond Beulah

and once past Beulah the scenery kept improving:

Somewhere before the Devil's Staircase

We caught up Mal Volio and it was a pleasure to joined forces for the section up until the Devils Staircase

Mal Volio before Abergwesyn

I forced myself up the Devil's Staircase and surprisingly go up without recourse to walking. The scenery just got better and seeing the road snaking across the mountain was fabulous. I'm sure in horrible weather it's a different matter. The descent into Treganon was horrible, with a bad surface and grave. I took it slowly, being aware that it would be quite easy to stack the bike into a hedge. Worryingly, Mal Volio says the road is better than it use to be!

I was now 50% of the way round the course and the effort was starting to tell, but some food at the Tregaron control helped and I was ready to go again. I left the control on my own, but expected to join forces with others up the road. I then managed to get lost, which I am blaming on a dyslexic moment as the Welsh place names on the route sheet (Pontrhydfendigaid and Pontrhydygroes) merged together in my head. I got the road map out of my pocket, only to discover I was missing the sheet I needed. I retraced my steps and with some careful studying of the routesheet I was back on track. Without my bike computer, I'm not sure how much time I lost but a guess says 10 – 15 minutes. The climb out of Pontrhydygroes to Cwmstwyth felt hard, possibly because I was on my own, but once the views of the Elan Valley began I felt better. Some cyclists going the other way stopped me for directions and were shocked to discover all the cyclists they'd seen were doing a 300 km ride!

The descent into Rhayader should have been fun, but at some point I must have knocked my back wheel because it was a bit out of true and I wasn't confident it'd hold up to me hitting a pothole at 60+ kph. Fortunately there's a bike shop in Rhayader and the mechanic was happy to do a quick repair of my wheel. Yay! However, the nipple was locked solid. D'oh! So off I went with a 100 km still to go and an unhappy wheel. The next section was along the A44 and I was again on my own. Without my cycle computer, and very little on the routesheet, I had no way to gauge my progress and I found this section very hard. I was also expecting the headwind from the morning to now be a tailwind, but things are never that simple. About 15 or 20 km before the final control I caught up another cyclists and I was happy to cycle at his pace for want of company and a break from the wind as we shared the work.

Kingsland control appeared. I scoffed a load of food and sorted out clothing and lighting for the final 50 km as I knew I'd be cycling in the dark. A second wind hit me and while the climb from Newnham Bridge to Clows Top seemed to take forever, I felt much happier on the bike and I was accompanied by a lovely sunset. I was finished a few minutes after 9pm, which meant I only had a tiny bit of night time cycling and I was relieved to be back before the temperature dropped further. All in all, The Elenith was a fantastic ride. The scenery was incredible and the weather was just perfect and if I do this ride again then hopefully I can find some company for the dull A44 section back from Rhayader!

Edited for typos
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

αdαmsκι

αdαmsκι's SR
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2010, 02:01:20 pm »
αdαmsκι's SR: The Brevet Cymru 400

Having done a 200 km and 300 km ride, the next challenge was obviously a 400. Please step forward the Brevet Cymru; a 400 km ride from Chepstow to New Quay on the Irish Sea, via Tregaron, and back to Chepstow. This is reputed to be an amazing ride and so it would prove. The forecast was awful and I was woken up on Friday night to the sound of rain lashing at the tent. As I went back to sleep I wondered what I would be in for tomorrow. However, 5am on Saturday was surprisingly beautiful and I was suddenly looking forward to the ride.

The first section of the ride up the Golden Valley to Hay-on-Wye was beautiful. The initial descent down past Tintern Abbey felt like I was dropping into Middle Earth, especially as we seemed to get the descent for free. Toby was setting a crackin' pace at the front, until he remembered his one instruction to save himself for The Wu'ze on Sunday was DON'T SIT ON THE FRONT. Oops. The Golden Valley was very golden, with loads of oil seed rape in flower and this section was stunning.

Golden fields in the Golden Valley

We were soon past Hay and a foresome of ChrisN, Toby and Monsieur Pumpé had formed. Cycling along the Wye River up to Builth Wells was beautiful. Monsieur Pumpé packed at Builth due to feeling rubbish and the three of us set off to Llandovery, parts of which I knew having riden The Elenith a couple of weeks ago. The rubbish weather that was forecast still hadn't arrived and I was having a blast. The climb from Llandovery was lovely - a perfect gradient so you knew you were climbing, but it wasn't too step and at the top there were wonderful views of the countryside, and signs for the Conservative Party.

Views from the top of the climb to Crugybar

ChrisN told me the next section after Lampeter would be lovely and he was damn right, although it was over too quickly and we were soon in Tregaon. We refueled and I figured out how to carry my litre of OJ:

Despite the black skies we still hadn't experienced any rain, but that was quickly to change as we all stopped to waterproof-up only a few hundred meters beyond Tregaon, but that particular shower didn't last too long. I found this section, which is less than 40 km, hard. There are a lot of short, sharp pulls and it's difficult to get into a rhythm. I had the fear for day 2 of the MC1000 and I'm not even doing the ride. New Quay quickly arrived, evidenced by the tourists and traffic. The Mariner Restaurant looked after us very well and Toby was that impressed with his curry he needed to photograph it

Toby & curry

That was nothing compared to the deserts that turned up, the most impressive of which was the ice cream sundae

Toby going in the for the kill

I knew there would be a big climb out of New Quay and was careful not to overeat to order chips at the Mariner. ChrisN stocked up well:

ChrisN after eating at the Mariner

Some time after 5pm we were off again up to Synod Inn via Bulimc Hill. Around 6.30pm the rain properly caught up with us and it started hosing down. ChrisN spied some shelter so we could waterproof-up again and I had my first experience of lottering in a bus shelter with some men I'd meet on the 'net:

Toby and I

We set off into the monsoon, but quickly stopped again at luxury bus stop for ChrisN to put extra gloves on and we waited a few minutes for the monsoon to easy off. Once more into the rain, but I was feeling very cheerful and had the lyrics to Keep on the Sunny Side from O Brother, Where Art Thou? going around my head. A bit later I got mesmerised watching drops collect on the tip of my cap before falling off in front of my nose ???. We pushed on to Llandovery and once we hit the main road at Llanwrda Toby could smell food and we ended up riding the 7 km along the main road as a time trail :D. The next section started around 9pm and it was beautiful, with a good surface, very little traffic and it was again dry, although the dryness wasn't to last and it started hosing down again. Being with other people made this a lot more enjoyable than it otherwise would have been. I bonked about 2 km out from Bwlch and I must have looked a state walking into the village hall. I was very grateful for the care from the guys there. I remember Iona telling me what food she could offer and I cut her off by simply saying "Everything, please!". Some food, coffee and a TescoPlus from Toby and I felt much better. (I've never really had a buzz from caffeine and I dunno if it helped, but it certainly didn't hinder me.)

ChrisN was knackered, so Toby and I pushed on into the night alone. Despite wearing all of my clothing, I was shivering before we set off from Bwlch and with the rain was still hammering down it seemed total madness to go outside again. Despite this, I got a lot of masochistic enjoyment from the craziness of the situation. It's totally bonkers! The last hill up to Shirenewton seemed to go on forever, but once that was then we were pretty much done and Toby and I were back in Chepstow before 2am. I had a quick gulp of tea and cycled back to Sedbury. After a shower I fell into my lovely down sleeping bag and fell asleep before 3am listening to the rain hammering down and feeling glad I wasn't outside.

So that's it, I have now discovered what audaxing is about - I've hung out in bus shelters to let the rain easy; popped caffeine tablets; and left a lovely warm village hall at 11.30 pm into the pissing rain for a short 60 km bike ride to Chepstow. It's all strangely additive.

αdαmsκι

Re: αdαmsκι's SR
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2010, 05:58:49 pm »
αdαmsκι's SR: The Bryan Chapman Memorial 600

The Bryan Chapman Memorial

For those who don’t already know, the Bryan Chapman Memorial ride starts in Chepstow, goes up to Menai on Anglesey via Rhayader, Barmouth and Pen-y-Pass and then back to Chepstow via Dolgellau and Newtown. It’s just over 600 km and goes across some of Wales’ finest hills and through some stunning scenery. I was really looking forward to this ride.

Prologue

Turning up at the campsite the night before attempting you first 600 km ride with a bike that doesn’t have a chain or cassette fitted probably isn’t too sensible. My excuse was I’d removed the parts on Thursday to clean them, but felt lazy and instead took them into work on Friday to “borrow” the ultra-sonic cleaner. That didn’t actually happen and on Friday evening I was sat at the campsite refitting my dirty chain and cassette. I was still checking I had the right things in my saddlebag at gone 9 pm until ChrisN shouted at me to stop faffing, advice that was very much needed. I went to bed.

Saturday

As ChrisN and I rode the few kilometres from the campsite to the start of the ride it was clear it was going to be a lovely day. At 6am Mark gave us a safety talk and then we were off to Anglesey. The initially section I had done two weeks previous in the rain and dark on the final leg of the Brevet Cymru and therefore I knew I had a climb to do right from the off up to Shirenewton but this would just be a warm up for later in the day. The first section to Bronllys was quick and ridden mainly in large group and the climb along the A479 past Cwmdu was lovely.

Flatus and I left Bronllys together and formed a partnership that would remain solid until we got back to Chepstow; which is more than can be said about Flatus’ knee…. This is also where we were joined by Mr. Sucky. Between Bronllys and Builth Wells the route follows the A470, but to avoid the main road we took the scenic option on the eastern side of the Wye River, much to the confusion of Mr. Sucky; nor did he appreciate the jokes Flatus and I were making about their only being a couple of 20% hills on the scenic option…. Following the Wye was beautiful and I really like cycling this particular road. Once past Builth Wells we were on the main road and into a headwind all the way to Llangurig. Having people to share the work on this section is very useful if people are prepared to do the work. Mr. Sucky was quiet happy to do nothing to help and when we did force him onto the front he stayed there for about half the time Flatus or I were on the front, and also slowed down. Although to be fair to Mr. Sucky, he did take the front a lot more frequently around Ponterwyd, although that didn’t help too much because the road was now pointing downwards! In Bow Street Mr. Sucky darted through the traffic while Flatus and I were happy to wait for the cars to clear. After 100 km we were freed from Mr. Sucky, but a few kilometres later we were at the control in Tre'r Ddol.

I hadn’t enjoyed the section from Builth because of the main road drag (clearly the better option is across the Elan Valley) and I wasn’t enjoying myself very much. The next section would proved to be a lot more enjoyed, helped no doubt by the tactical departure from Tre’r Ddol without Mr. Sucky. ChrisN has told me the climb past the Centre for Alternative Technology was fun and so it proved to be; a lovely gradient and after that the scenery properly began as Cadar Idris rose up in front of us. With the blue skies and the sun, this was stunning. By 3pm we were at the Kings Youth Hostel just outside Dolgellau and picking up extra clothes because we knew it would be night time by the time we’d cycled up to Menai and back to the hostel.

Flatus lead the way across to the Barmouth toll bridge, via a gravel path, a crossing and recrossing of the railway line and a return to the nice tarmac road I pointed out two minutes ago. Good work mate! I’ve never been across the bridge before and I was amazed at the views one gets looking up the estuary to the mountains. Everyone should walk or cycle across the bridge at some point in their life. Between Barmouth and Harlech I was at the front and enjoying the magnificent views of the blue sky and sea and the Lleyn peninsula. Flatus’ couldn’t enjoy the views because he was too busy sucking my wheel and trying to ignore the pain in his knee that would continue for the rest of the ride. Harlech castle is impressive as ever, although it could do with someone singing Men of Harlech at that point. As we approached Beddgelert I taught Flatus’ the tale of the hound Gelert.

I’ve driven up to Pen-y-Pass main times and I knew what was in store for me on that climb and so I could just enjoy the climb and views of Snowdon, Cwm Dyli power station, the James Bond pipeline and Nant Gwyant in the evening light. Flatus and I regrouped at Pen-y-Pass and sorted out clothing for the descent down Llanberis. We did wonder if Mark could arrange for some lovely ladies to stand at the top of the climb with newspapers to stuff down ones jersey in a Tour de France-esque style. The descent down Llanberis was tricky as I tried to keep my eyes on the road, take in the magic of the valley and check out the crags as well (no one seemed to be climbing on The Cromlech). Soon we were in Bangor and crossing Telford’s famous bridge to Menai. The control at Menai was stocked with excellent food and friendly, helpful helpers. I can imagine it’s easy to get trapped here if you arrive late and/or the weather is bad.

We sat off again around 7.30pm and retraced our steps for a bit, giving us the chance to see people heading in the opposite direction. The next section involved stops to put on more clothes at various times as the temperature started to drop. I was hurting on the way to Beddgelert, but quickly perked up as we plummeted into Beddgelert because I realised my pain had been caused by the unrelenting, but gradual, climb we’d just done. The beautiful day was being replaced by a beautiful evening and the only thing left for the day was a climb past Trawsfynydd; a climb I had done 12 years previous and remember hating. I hated it this time, too. I just find that climb slog and I wanted to be back at the hostel and in bed. It wasn’t helped by either the heart burn I was experiencing or my front derailleur that was not working properly. To move into the small ring I had to stop and manheld the chain, but soon Dolgellau arrived and then onto the hostel. We arrived at 11.45pm and were promptly looked after by the guys ‘n’ gals manning the hostel as they gave us food and sent us off to the shower and the bed. I fall asleep happy. I was woken up in the night by the sound of rain hammering on the roof and at the same time felt happy I was in bed and sorry for the people still out on the road.

Sunday

We were woken up as arranged at 5am and as we got up folks who’d just arrived, wet through, took over our bed for a few hours sleep. Poor buggers. The weather was horrible and as we were in no rush Flatus and I decided on a leisurely morning to see what would happen with the weather. By 6am we’d eaten, the rain had stopped and we started making moves for the off. The morning proved beautiful. The rain from the night was hanging on the hills giving beautiful coverings of mist with the sun breaking through here and there. We slogged our way up the climb along the A470 and I then freewheeled my way down the other side. OK, I freewheeled in a tuck position, but still I was amazed to see my computer saying I’d hit 83 km/h. I wasn’t trying to go fast, although pedaling at those speeds wouldn’t make any difference to the speeds. Flatus and I then regrouped and headed along to Newtown in happy sprits. There was now only 150 km to go – it’s funny how the idea of scale changes when one is on a long ride! We weren’t in a rush, the weather was fantastic, the scenery stunning and it was a great day to be on the bike.

The climb out of Newtown was lovely. It goes on for a long time, but it’s at a good gradient. At Dolfor you turn onto up the B-road. This is step, my front derailleur wouldn’t change down into the small ring and so I took the only choice I had which was to sprint up it at a silly speed. All good fun and I was happily surprised my legs would still perform that task after ~500 km of cycling. At the top of the climb I realised I could change gear by flicking the chain with my foot and this would be the approach for the rest of the ride, much to the amusement of Flatus. This is the highest point above sea level in the whole route, which after passing through Snowdonia is somewhat surprising. The descent off the moor around the hairpins was exhilarating. Soon we were at Knighton and we then went off-piste from the official route as Flatus had a route in his GPS from here to Weobley. The surfaces of the lanes were really bad, which made this section mentally tiring as you had to constantly concentrate to avoid potholes, gravel etc. and while the long hills of north Wales are behind you, there are lots of short, step, hills. The ride certainly isn’t over! I was relieved when we reached Weobley - sitting in the village square on the grass covered in blossom, eating ice cream and talking to other riders about their experiences is one of the (many) highlights of the ride.

After Weobley there was another section of lanes passing through fields that were bright yellow with the oil seed rape and everywhere was heavily scented. The lanes were still in an awful state and I was relieved once we got to the main road. The climb up to Llancloudy was hard work, but then a quick descent into Monmouth, an explosion as my water bottle escaped just as a I caught up with Mal Volio and then along the Wye Valley to Chepstow. We finished just after 5pm and just avoided the rain. Perfect.

Epilogue

That was my first 600 km ride, which completes my first SR series after doing my first audax ride in January. The 600 km ride was fab. There were a couple of parts I didn’t enjoy, but generally it was all great and I ended the ride without feeling too tired. It was excellent to have company for the entire ride and I am very grateful to all the helpers on the ride. The next challenge will be a 1,200 km ride in July.