Author Topic: Using I.E.6 with Linux on a dual boot system  (Read 1790 times)

Using I.E.6 with Linux on a dual boot system
« on: 23 April, 2008, 07:07:36 pm »
As mentioned across the road  a month or two ago my ISP requires me to use Internet Explorer which I hate. However, once connected I can actually switch to Firefox for my browsing even though the ISP said it doesn't work! :D

On my newish Notebook I also plan to set up a dual boot with Linux as previously but using Linux Desk Top. I would still have to use I.E. 6 and then Firefox. Will this cause any issues as I need I.E. also for one particular Website which doesn't work with Firefox. I also have many working files on Windows XP mostly Excel spreadsheets hence the dual boot requirements.

Any guidance or practical suggestions will be greatly appreciated :-\
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

bobajobrob

Re: Using I.E.6 with Linux on a dual boot system
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2008, 07:11:54 pm »
You can install IE6 on Linux. See here.

As for your spreadsheets, try them in Open Office and see if they work. As long as you don't have any VB macros there's a chance they will.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2008, 11:16:21 pm »
You can install IE6 on Linux. See here.

I have done this and can confirm that it works well. Dunno about plugins tho'...

An alternative is to install a virtual machine to boot windows from within Linux. If your machine has at least 2GB RAM this is your best option, IMO.
Pen Pusher

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 23 April, 2008, 11:30:44 pm »
I've also used IE6 on Linux

The other option is to use the User Agent Switcher to tell Firefox to pretend to be IE

That often does the trick -  for example with the Vodafone 2G network coverage map

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2008, 05:53:40 pm »
Thanks for the replies. It seems I also need to learn about virtual machines and the Ext 2 file system before I proceed.

I was thinking of dual boot only with my original question but there is more for me to learn
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"