Author Topic: ECCA Festival - 2/3/4 May  (Read 3061 times)

ECCA Festival - 2/3/4 May
« on: 27 April, 2009, 03:31:50 pm »
easterncounties.org.uk

Any of the YACF South East contingent riding in the festival this year?

There will be circuit racing at Hog Hill in East London on the Saturday and road events including a 100 and 200km audax over the rest of the weekend from High Easter, near Chelmsford.

I may have bitten off more than I can chew by entering 4 events over the 3 days: A 10 mile time trial Saturday morning, 26 lap circuit race Saturday afternoon. 25 mile time trial Sunday afternoon, and another 10 mile time trial on the Bank Holiday Monday! My legs ache just thinking about that lot! ;)

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
Re: ECCA Festival - 2/3/4 May
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2009, 06:13:44 pm »
I'm doing the 200km audax on the Monday.

Good luck on the Hoggenburg. Take spare wheels with you, can be prone to visitations.

« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2009, 06:29:12 pm »
Is this circuit undercover? My club is going there on Thursday and google maps isn't helping much. Clicky, is where it dumps me but all that seems to be there is a cemetry and an industrial estate.

bloomers100

« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2009, 08:07:13 pm »
Your map is correct for the location. The entrance is on Forest Road where the 'A' is shown. Google maps is out of date for that area and doesn't show the circuit.

Have fun.    :sick:

« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2009, 09:15:51 am »
Good luck on the Hoggenburg. Take spare wheels with you, can be prone to visitations.

SPARE WHEELS?! I dream of spare wheels! I'll just nick a set off another competitors bike if I need them. ;)

« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2009, 09:43:18 am »
My report from Day 1.

Hog Hill is a fantastic facility and it was a perfect clear day, great views over London and Essex from up there. The circuit though, is an absolute bastard! They obviously picked the biggest hill for miles around and thought cyclists would enjoy slogging their guts out over it, repeatedly. Very bendy too, although once you've got your confidence up you can wang it round most of the bends at break-neck speed if you like - for my first event, the 10 mile time-trial, I was able to stay mostly on the aero bars. I haven't seen the official final results but my time was posted up at 27.04 - handicapped to 17.30! Which I think put me 1st in the handicap competition. :o I've only just started racing and after this festival I'm sure my handicap will be reduced to something more sporting, so I might as well enjoy it whilst it lasts!

I also elected to do the 26 lap, 52km cat. 3/4 bunch race in the afternoon, which with hindsight was well ambitious. It was cut to 20 laps because earlier events and gone over the scheduled time, and I was relieved about that, but even 20 laps was too much - my legs gave up after about 3! I went out the back of the bunch and eventually got lapped. I think I might have actually been the last person over the line. :thumbsup:

So, onto day 2. I'm doing the 25 mile TT this afternoon on a local course - the E91/25, near Chelmsford. It's looking a bit grey and windy out the window at the moment but at least my legs don't ache too much from yesterdays effort...

peter carter 2

« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2009, 10:14:40 am »
Good luck with monday's audax. The course tends to be enigmatic; and beware of the lost zone on the return to High Easter. I've always got lost on the last leg...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2009, 10:51:13 am »
Mrs. Wow and I are intending to tackle the 100k. With the ride from and to Chelmsford Station that should make it our longest day ever on the tandem, at a little over 80 miles.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bloomers100

« Reply #8 on: 03 May, 2009, 08:31:37 pm »
I'm on the 200k tomorrow, I'll keep an eye out for you. Just revising the route now, bit confused about Hawkedon > Somerton.

Me > Chelmer top blue Geoffrey Butler.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 03 May, 2009, 08:37:48 pm »
We'll be on a green Thorn tandem. Mrs. Wow will probably be sporting her pink YACF top.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2009, 10:35:54 am »
Did 1.05.04 in the 25, handicapped to something ridiculous like 38 mins. ;D Nice flat course although the last 7 miles were into a soul sapping headwind! Some of the big boys did sub hours, 55 mins. was about the quickest I think. Just the 10 to go today then, bring it on! :demon:

« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2009, 09:27:50 pm »
25.56 in the 10*. Very windy out there today but the threatening rain just about held off. Saw Mr. & Mrs. wowbagger at the HQ in High Easter after their 100km audax by tandem, and also met bloomers100 when he came in from his 200km.

Official results to be published later in the week, but I think 2008 winners Chelmer have conceded this year to Cambridge. A great festival all round I reckon, well organised, well attended and impressive performances from all clubs involved.

*now with more added photograph ;)

« Reply #12 on: 06 May, 2009, 12:44:56 pm »
Race results out: easterncounties.org.uk

Three 1st places for me in the handicap competition. 8) Very happy with that, won't ever happen again! ;)

« Reply #13 on: 06 May, 2009, 12:51:00 pm »
"Sometimes I park in handicapped spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces!!"

Well done, mate. Top effort  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #14 on: 06 May, 2009, 12:56:37 pm »
You should have a go at it yourself next year - basically don't do any previous open events where your time is published (or at least don't do them quick), and then you're a shoe-in. :P