Author Topic: AA/AAA battery charger  (Read 26531 times)

Re: AA/AAA battery charger
« Reply #25 on: 19 April, 2008, 03:14:23 pm »
...at Malmesbury. GPX log says we left there at just about 8.40pm.
...which is 1h35 after the time on my Co-Op receipt. Either I lost an hour in that pub loo with Maladict, or Malmesbury Co-op is a very good place to finish a DIY on the time limit. </OT - audax>

Ah, yes, it's an hour out. We got there at 7pm and left at 7.40pm.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Maladict

« Reply #26 on: 19 April, 2008, 03:19:12 pm »
...at Malmesbury. GPX log says we left there at just about 8.40pm.
...which is 1h35 after the time on my Co-Op receipt. Either I lost an hour in that pub loo with Maladict, or Malmesbury Co-op is a very good place to finish a DIY on the time limit. </OT - audax>

Arrrgh!  :hand: :o.

Quick, pass the mind bleach...!

this forum is more predictable because any really long thread tends inexorably towards NSFW.

bobajobrob

« Reply #27 on: 19 April, 2008, 04:50:54 pm »
Another vote for the BL-700, it's cheaper than the similarly priced Ansmann and has more functions.

« Reply #28 on: 19 April, 2008, 06:53:03 pm »
Can't get any of the stuff you folks  are talking about. But for my digital camera I was supplied with a GP Powerbank and four GP batteries. These have been very erratic,  taking a long time to charge followed by a fairly quick discharge >:( they almost caught me out at our Christmas Dinner when I thought they were reasonably charged up.

I replaced the pack with a Sony charger and 4 off 2100 m Amp Sony batteries.

So far these have performed well and the charger itself is a much better design :D
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #29 on: 19 April, 2008, 08:43:05 pm »
Another vote for the BL 700 from Battery Logic and Hybrio AA's.

Battery Logic are 'good people' - just sent me some more batteries when a new set turned up defective on first charge.

I've got a slew of normal 2700's which are good in flash guns the day after an overnight charge, however in future  I will be getting the Hybrios as they seem to match the 2700's in duration and recharge speed without the self discharge and would certainly be buying from Battery Logic in future.

Ant

« Reply #30 on: 19 April, 2008, 09:23:19 pm »
I've got a bit of a down on the BL-700 as mine managed to cook a set of 2700 AAs severely enough to start to melt its own casing. AAAs won't fit properly now. >:(

ISTR from a previous thread that you have the version prior to the BL-700 that allows charging at 1400mA, or is it my bad memory? It could be that that problem is fixed in the newer version. I hope so, the BL-700 is supposed to have a thermal sensor.

Quite right - it was an earlier model (IC8800, now I inspect it). Blue with black buttons, looks the same otherwise. Max charge rate 1800mA for a single AA or slots 1 & 4 , or 1000mA for 4, 3 or 2 adjacent slots used.
It wasn't a high charge rate that did it - 1 pair of 2500 and 1 pair of 2700 put on at 500mA and left to charge overnight. In the morning I'd got 4 cooked cells and a charger with a distorted casing. The thermal sensor obviously hadn't worked - the instructions say it's meant to stop charging if the temperature goes over 53C and wait for them to cool off.

The WizardOne is nicer anyway, even if more expensive. Charge rates are 200mA-2000mA in 100mA steps, discharge rates 100mA-1000mA, and it's much easier to program the 4 slots independently than it was with the Technoline.
Modes are charge, discharge, test, cycle and break-in, with test being charge, capacity measure and recharge, cycle being a specified number of charge/discharge cycles, and break-in being a timed 1.6 x specified capacity charge at low rate for new or long unused cells.

Ljerams:
It's not uncommon to get the odd duff cell in a pack of 4. If you use one bad cell with 3 good ones, the bad one runs flat first, then the other 3 start to force current through it. That damages it, so it runs flat even sooner next time.
Ideally, you should charge and discharge the 4 cells individually a couple of times before use for real. That way you can match cells of the same actual capacity (what you get from a set used together depends on how good the worst cell is). Also bad cells will often recover after a couple of charges if they haven't had the other cells in a battery forcing current through them.
This is why some of us spend money on expensive chargers.

« Reply #31 on: 20 April, 2008, 06:40:14 am »
There is really no way I can tell if a new battery is duff but  the GP Pack Charger seemed to have become erratic. Of course it may actually have been a duff battery issue. I did however replace the batteries with identical ones and with no improvement of note.

Confusing wot ::-)

My simple solution was to buy a  reliable well known brand and so far the Sony Pack is proving to be OK. The charger is a much better design ;)
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #32 on: 25 April, 2008, 07:44:49 am »
I've been happily using an Ansmann Energy 16 for quite a while now, but like others, have had about enough of high self-discharge rates on normal NiMh's, and have gone over to using Eneloops for most things.  The older lower capacity NiMh's seem to have a better self discharge rate, most notably some 2200mAh Ansmann ones.  I use radio controlled models, with a variety of battery packs, as well as separate cells for appliance like lights and GPS's. cameras etc, so I've bought a Graupner Ultramat 15 pack charger, which is exteremly configurable, and will charge at up to 8 amps!  You can set all sorts of parameters, including the delta peak voltage.  This can charge lead acid, NiCd, NiMh (and hybrid) and Li-ion or Li-Po batteries.  A bit of an investment, but if you do lots of "stuff" like wot I do, a worthwhile one.
Wombat

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #33 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:16:38 pm »
Yesterday I bought an Energizer Accu charger with 4 AA NiMh batteries, 2000 mAh. The bumph says they should reach full charge in up to 8 hours. It's now at least 14 hours and the wee green lights are still on, indicating that they are still charging.  ???

I turned the charger off overnight as the batteries themselves felt hot, and I didn't want to burn the house down. Would this interruption to the charging extend the time needed, or do they maybe take longer to charge first time round?  Or do I just take the whole lot back, claim it's duff and get a refund?

Now look, I know I should have waited and ordered something more sophisticated, like all the stuff mentioned on here, but it was an impulse buy, so please just humour me.  :-[
Thanks for listening. 
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: 18 July, 2008, 06:31:02 pm »
Take it back - it's cheap and nasty.

Then get yourself over to www.batterylogic.co.uk, get a charger and some Hybrios.

Mine's on the charge at the moment, for the weekend's festivities.  Bloody brilliant thing it is  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

rae

« Reply #35 on: 18 July, 2008, 08:48:11 pm »
Ansmann energey 16 and a variety of Uniross 2300 and 2100 batteries does me fine.   The charger always has a bunch on top up - generally 4 x AAAs and 8 x AAs.   Childrens toys rip through batteries in next to no time, so they get a hell of a workout.

border-rider

« Reply #36 on: 18 July, 2008, 09:08:32 pm »
Take it back - it's cheap and nasty.

Then get yourself over to www.batterylogic.co.uk, get a charger and some Hybrios.

On the advice of this thread, I dd just that on Wednesday

They arrived on Thursday :o

« Reply #37 on: 18 July, 2008, 09:23:56 pm »
I got a BL700 this week and some hybrios to try

« Reply #38 on: 19 July, 2008, 12:31:24 am »
I have an Ansmann Energy 4 and it's a massive improvement on my old basic charger.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #39 on: 03 August, 2008, 07:08:08 pm »
I'm a rechargeable battery virgin but I need to get up to speed. My new digital camera eats batteries like I eat mini eggs. The instruction book says rechargeable AA Ni-MH and not to use Ni-Cd.

Fuji do do their own overnight battery charger for £12.99 with 4 batteries but I bet I can get something as good or better for less money with your recommendations. Ideally I'd like a solar powered one but that might be asking too much. Is Battery Logic my way forward? And are Hybrios ok to use in my camera? (I don't want the science, I just want a yes or no  ;D because I'm on holiday this week and I refuse to learn anything).
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

bobajobrob

« Reply #40 on: 03 August, 2008, 07:35:32 pm »
Fuji do do their own overnight battery charger for £12.99 with 4 batteries but I bet I can get something as good or better for less money with your recommendations.

I have the Technoline BL-700 from batterylogic.co.uk. I'm very happy with it and it hasn't cooked any batteries yet. I haven't seen anything that offers better value for money in terms of features and quality.

Hybrios should be fine with your camera. I remember my old Casio QV-R40 camera stated not to use rechargeables, but I used them anyway and it was fine.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: 03 August, 2008, 08:00:04 pm »
Kirst, if you don't want to spring for a thirty quid battery charger (which I can well understand if you're not a Kit Geek like wot I am) then get thee to Maplins, where they're offering a free fast charger with every pack of Uniross rechargeable batteries.  Including Hybrios  :)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #42 on: 03 August, 2008, 08:28:06 pm »
Plenty more learning about NiMH, NiCad and Li-ion batteries to be had at
Batteries in a Portable World. A handbook on rechargeable batteries for non-engineers

Particularly useful info on why you should not charge them til they're hot, the importance of periodically cycling a battery and why you should not let them run down all the way to brown out.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #43 on: 03 August, 2008, 08:28:54 pm »
I don't mind paying for a decent charger and I will let this be the start of me gradually replacing all my batteries with rechargeables. Ann Summers goods go through batteries very quickly.

This forum is so helpful about so many things.  :D

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 03 August, 2008, 10:12:15 pm »
Ann Summers goods go through batteries very quickly.

You need to consider going mains powered  ;)

« Reply #45 on: 03 August, 2008, 10:17:51 pm »
Presumably it functions well on  AC or DC?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 03 August, 2008, 10:18:48 pm »
::-)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #47 on: 03 August, 2008, 10:25:21 pm »
What all the blokes here are thinking, but none (till me) brave enough to say....

This thread is useless without pictures.

(Fruitless search for smiley.)
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 03 August, 2008, 10:31:14 pm »
Of what, dear heart?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #49 on: 06 October, 2009, 09:50:58 pm »
Last year, following your recommendations, I bought a BL700 and numerous Uniross rechargeable batteries from Battery Logic, and it's all been great until tonight. I fully charged 2 AA batteries last week, stuck them in my bike light and stuck that in my pannier until tonight when I needed it. The light lasted about 5 minutes and when I put them back in the charger tonight, one is charging fine and the other one isn't even registering on the charger. The charger just doesn't know it's there. I've tried both batteries in all 4 compartments and all the compartments register one of the batteries and none of them register the other one. Do you know why this might happen and is there any way I can fix it?

I am having no bike light luck tonight - my bloody Ixon fell off and burst open and I had to scrabble around in the dark to get the batteries up and now it won't work at all. Stupid Revolution bikes with their stupid funny shaped frames and handlebars - won't take bottle cages, everything on the handlebars is precarious, cobbles work things loose, gah gah gah.