Author Topic: Fungi have suddenly appeared on the lawn. Lots of them.  (Read 6776 times)

Fungi have suddenly appeared on the lawn. Lots of them.
« on: 15 October, 2018, 01:59:30 pm »
DSCF2428 by Shenachieagain,

DSCF2427 by Shenachieagain, on Flickr

Might anyone know if they are edible or even what they are?

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Re: Fungi have suddenly appeared on the lawn. Lots of them.
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2018, 04:51:51 pm »
NOT an expert but had an interest some years ago:

The little ones in top photo I reckon are Psilocybe, edibility depends on your attitude to altered consciousness.  ;)

The big ones, dunno, but a good rule of thumb is don't eat white gilled fungi, a lot of the amanita family have white gills, if it's got a volva underground (as if the stem is growing out of a bulbous sac) it's an amanita, but there are a few exceptions to the white gill rule such as The Miller mushroom and a couple of others.

Scent and spore print play a big part in fungi identification, best bet is to go on a course locally and take a sample (in a bag and handle with gloves)

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2018, 05:31:03 pm »
Not saying anything about my background knowledge but the little ones are actually not that little, its the pic, and don't have the give away nipple. *cough*

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2018, 08:09:47 pm »
Er dibs...for an experiment

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2018, 11:46:36 pm »
Whether fungi are edible or not is a game I prefer not to play.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2018, 12:23:18 am »

I would concur and think I might have posted similar in the past.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2018, 01:02:47 am »
All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once...

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2018, 06:54:47 am »
There is a golden rule that says, if you can't identify a fungus, you don't eat it. If you are interested in finding out about fungi, and collecting them to eat, there are some relatively safe starting points, for example if you ever find a giant puffball or a parasol mushroom, they aren't easily confused with anything else but for the most part you have to learn to look for the signs which identify them positively. The best relatively common forage mushrooms that are easy to identify are ceps/boletus/penny bun but they also have an evil twin you have to take care over.

The photographs show that it is unlikely you are that familiar with the characteristics needed to identify and therefore haven't provided sufficient data for anyone to be positive although I'd say Si S guess looks right-ish for the little'uns, but it's impossible to be sure. Rule #1 therefore applies.

« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2018, 07:38:59 am »
Big ones might be some sort of Brittlegill. Might be

Small ones are definitely not Liberty Cap (Magic), but a Mottlegill, I think.

Hard to tell from photos. Don't eat them regardless, and probably best not to seek advice from the internet  ;)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2018, 01:11:02 pm »

You haven't gone mushroom picking with a Polish person.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 16 October, 2018, 02:22:29 pm »

I have! There's no messing around on a mushroom hunt with my BiL, it's "Pick those, those are edible but taste bad so leave them, those are poisonous, don't touch them, those I don't recognize so leave them." The actual picking is quite selective. Nevertheless, news reports of mushroom poisonings are an annual event in the Polish media.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #11 on: 16 October, 2018, 02:50:49 pm »

I have! There's no messing around on a mushroom hunt with my BiL, it's "Pick those, those are edible but taste bad so leave them, those are poisonous, don't touch them, those I don't recognize so leave them." The actual picking is quite selective. Nevertheless, news reports of mushroom poisonings are an annual event in the Polish media.

I used to go mushroom hunting with Italians and Poles, when I was a child, in the west mids and wales.  The poles would pick mushrooms that had to be soaked/cooked in milk before being safely edible.

Later I found it to be a comment Italian mushroom foragers said about Poles.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2018, 03:12:25 pm »
Nevertheless, news reports of mushroom poisonings are an annual event in the Polish media.

The other great media event is when some magazine or other issues a panic recall because they got the captions on the photos of poisonous & edible back to front.

If you get a book I'd recommend getting one that has drawings instead of photos - colours in photos are too variable. And get a modern one, because in the last 40 years some mushrooms have been moved from one category to the other.  There's one called Gyromitra esculenta (esculenta meaning edible) that was reckoned OK to eat as long as you waited a week before having another helping.  It turned out that it took a week for your liver to recover from the poison.  The name hasn't changed, though.

The way the poisons work is quite entertaining, too: basically, they clobber the production of specific essential enzymes.  You usually have a stock on board so the effects aren't immediately noticeable, but once it's depleted you die in convulsions.  One from Madagascar takes a month. :D :D :D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2018, 03:38:24 pm »
Yes, a lot of those poisonings aren't fatal but result in serious liver damage, often permanent or requiring a transplant.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 16 October, 2018, 05:13:19 pm »
Then there are the ones that leave your liver alone but upset your guts for a day or two.  We used to pick Clouded Clytocybes and boil them to avoid that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #15 on: 23 October, 2018, 03:13:58 am »
This is a Liberty Cap

« Reply #16 on: 09 November, 2018, 08:21:45 pm »
.... The best relatively common forage mushrooms that are easy to identify are ceps/boletus/penny bun but they also have an evil twin you have to take care over. ...
I recall reading, many years ago, that this is (almost) a universal rule. There may have been a bit of exaggeration involved, but it does seem to be common.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897