General Category > Folders

Bromptons: coming down

(1/9) > >>

JBunyon:
Altho not a Brompton owner, I seem to be to follow the brand,the bike and all things Brompton.

Have I got things wrong here: I seem to see the used Brompton price falling these days. Some 8 weeks back I noticed used Brompton prices rising. Then,high covid,factory shut and wotnot,prices seemed on a steady incline. Nowadays,used Brompton prices seem to be declining.

I would welcome a Brompton myself,but couldnt leave the bike unattended for hours in my city without taking medication. People can say take it shopping with you. It's not that easy. With my sit-up-and beg step-thru bike there's no worries when I leave it locked near town. Lock and forget. I dont think I could do this with any Brompton and wouldnt expect to be able to do so until Brompton prices(already falling?)came down to sub £200. And really,at that price, they might lose their appeal to me.

What's others views?

grams:
Used Bromptons never go near £200 unless "hot" or perhaps advertised collection-only a long from a big city.

Theft is also (allegedly) fed by the export market, so even if their price here went down a lot they'd still get nicked to ship to SE Asia.

Kim:

--- Quote from: JBunyon on 13 December, 2020, 03:33:23 pm ---People can say take it shopping with you. It's not that easy.

--- End quote ---

A Brompton fits in a standard supermarket trolley just fine when folded, leaving the front compartment for your shopping. Or you can leave the handlebars extended and the front luggage attached to used it as a trolley in its own right.

I wouldn't do my bi-weekly COVID-19 supermarket shop with one (I have other bikes that are less attractive to thieves and much better at carrying heavy loads), but in the Before Times it was absolutely fine for popping into a shop for a few items on the way home from somewhere.  More importantly, it's great for being able to bring into a random office building in a part of town you wouldn't want to leave a bike unattended for hours on end.

Indeed, the only times I lock up my Brompton are when I'm using it for a Bike Ride (because trains or car or Origami or something), and I lock it outside a cafe or pub with a load of other bikes.

The n+1 rule applies.  Sometimes you want a bike you can lock up.  Sometimes you want a bike you can take with you.  Depends where you're going, how long you're going to be, what cycle parking is available, etc.  There's no perfect solution.

quixoticgeek:

--- Quote from: Kim on 13 December, 2020, 06:47:32 pm ---
--- Quote from: JBunyon on 13 December, 2020, 03:33:23 pm ---People can say take it shopping with you. It's not that easy.

--- End quote ---

A Brompton fits in a standard supermarket trolley just fine when folded, leaving the front compartment for your shopping. Or you can leave the handlebars extended and the front luggage attached to used it as a trolley in its own right.

I wouldn't do my bi-weekly COVID-19 supermarket shop with one (I have other bikes that are less attractive to thieves and much better at carrying heavy loads), but in the Before Times it was absolutely fine for popping into a shop for a few items on the way home from somewhere.  More importantly, it's great for being able to bring into a random office building in a part of town you wouldn't want to leave a bike unattended for hours on end.

Indeed, the only times I lock up my Brompton are when I'm using it for a Bike Ride (because trains or car or Origami or something), and I lock it outside a cafe or pub with a load of other bikes.

The n+1 rule applies.  Sometimes you want a bike you can lock up.  Sometimes you want a bike you can take with you.  Depends where you're going, how long you're going to be, what cycle parking is available, etc.  There's no perfect solution.

--- End quote ---

Paired with a 30l backpack, my Brompton has been fine put inside the shopping trolley for my shopping trips in .NL. Plenty of carrying capacity. In the before times I'd carry a basket and wheel the folded brompton on it's rack + wheels, and just carry a shopping basket. The easy wheels + rack make this much easier than no rack. I don't understand why you'd not get a rack + wheels on a Brompton.

Only time I lock mine is when I'm bivvying... if I remembered a lock...

J

Karla:
Whoever wants a Brompton in order to leave it locked up outside??  :o

Also, sub 200 used Bromptons?  Only if they've been run over by a tank and then rusted a bit!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version