Author Topic: Carrying too much gear  (Read 19826 times)

Re: Carrying too much gear
« Reply #75 on: 14 April, 2021, 09:54:12 pm »
I've just changed up my ride luggage. I'm not touring/camping any more, so I've ditched the rack and panniers, and the bar bag.
In a seat pack, I carry:

Topeak Alien
A no-name mutli-tool/tyre lever combo that I bought many years ago and fills a few gaps in the Alien.
Inner tube
Puncture kit
Assorted tyre levers
Cable ties
Small end of a roll of insulating tape

And a Lezyne HP Drive on the bottle cage mount.

I did get cold the other day though when I stopped at a friend's house for an outdoors natter, and I've got a new bike coming soon so needed something for that.

Decided to get 2 Ortlieb bags - one small seat pack for the bits above, then one of their bigger ones (that falls into the rare spot of being bigger than a wedge, but not full-on bikepacking huge) that could take that stuff, and a waterproof/long sleeve top as well for the maybe-rainy days or when I know there'll be a long stop. Both bags use the same clip, so I have the choice of either bag on either bike.

How long is sir going out for?

An hour or two?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jXfxhHH9LvvecU8c9

Or all day?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/aBMQ3aq1yWFwEV1F9
Back in the saddle :)

« Reply #76 on: 14 April, 2021, 11:59:26 pm »
Decided to get 2 Ortlieb bags - one small seat pack for the bits above, then one of their bigger ones (that falls into the rare spot of being bigger than a wedge, but not full-on bikepacking huge) that could take that stuff, and a waterproof/long sleeve top as well for the maybe-rainy days or when I know there'll be a long stop.
I have the larger one for long day rides when weather is very changeable and need to put jacket/leggings/shorts somewhere. Also handy for proper food too. Though you need to point back of bike uphill when opening it, because otherwise everything tends to fall out. It's doesn't point upwards like a bikepacking seat bag.
The Tile Collector

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #77 on: 15 April, 2021, 07:20:48 am »
I take a small repair kit and multitool for rides beyond the M25, or if I'm leading a group. However I haven't had a puncture or other mechanical for at least 4 years on the road so I'm very out of practice. In truth I would probably head for a train or leave the bike behind a hedge and recover it by car.

On the commute I gave up carrying it because I pass at least 3 LBS and again nothing ever went wrong. I think @grams is right that proportional maintenance is the way forward!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #78 on: 15 April, 2021, 08:18:36 am »
I was quite happy to have carried the spare folder.

I’m going to assume “folder” means spare folding bike and I’d appreciate if you didn’t correct me.

it's where the route sheets are kept
I was thinking folding tyre. But I'm not correcting anyone!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #79 on: 26 April, 2021, 07:41:39 am »
Do others consider the amount of gear they carry whilst out on a local ride? ATM I don't have a  fast bike as such, a steel audax and a steel tourer. Even on the audax bike I have a rack, racktop bag, containing 2 inner tubes, puncture repair kit,  topeak alien multi-tool,  head torch, foil blanket for an emergency (15 years old), 2 lightweight retractable cable locks, latex gloves for oily repairs. Co2 inflator and spare cylinder,  goretex top, wet wipes, a Zeal HPX full size pump velcro strapped to my top tube, loose change and a pair of steel tyre levers that jangle. This is my typical audax  setup. Realistically, for thr short local 40 mile rides a seat pack would do. I CBA to declutter as I generally carry the above on an audax ride. What do other carry on local rides?

Couple of inner tubes, tyre levers and 2 allen keys (4 and 5 mm), a small tyre patch and my phone, that's it.
I used to carry a chain splitter, but I've never used it in 15 years, so I stopped, as it did seem pointless. Everything goes in my rear pockets, no saddle bag.

I am not quite sure why you carry a foil blanket and a head torch...  ::-)

Davef

« Reply #80 on: 26 April, 2021, 08:52:47 am »
Do others consider the amount of gear they carry whilst out on a local ride? ATM I don't have a  fast bike as such, a steel audax and a steel tourer. Even on the audax bike I have a rack, racktop bag, containing 2 inner tubes, puncture repair kit,  topeak alien multi-tool,  head torch, foil blanket for an emergency (15 years old), 2 lightweight retractable cable locks, latex gloves for oily repairs. Co2 inflator and spare cylinder,  goretex top, wet wipes, a Zeal HPX full size pump velcro strapped to my top tube, loose change and a pair of steel tyre levers that jangle. This is my typical audax  setup. Realistically, for thr short local 40 mile rides a seat pack would do. I CBA to declutter as I generally carry the above on an audax ride. What do other carry on local rides?

Couple of inner tubes, tyre levers and 2 allen keys (4 and 5 mm), a small tyre patch and my phone, that's it.
I used to carry a chain splitter, but I've never used it in 15 years, so I stopped, as it did seem pointless. Everything goes in my rear pockets, no saddle bag.

I hope you have “dial-a-pump” preprogrammed on the phone.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #81 on: 26 April, 2021, 08:54:46 am »

I hope you have “dial-a-pump” preprogrammed on the phone.

Ah yes, mini pump, forgot about it

« Reply #82 on: 26 April, 2021, 10:42:00 am »
I carry the had torch as I ride in the dark in winter and trying to fix a puncture using bike light is more difficult. Re the foil blanket, I thought it’d be a good bit of kit and weighs as much as a crisp. Could empty my rack bag, spring after all. Last time I did I found a folded up£10 note.

Geriatricdolan

« Reply #83 on: 26 April, 2021, 11:26:24 am »
I carry the had torch as I ride in the dark in winter and trying to fix a puncture using bike light is more difficult. Re the foil blanket, I thought it’d be a good bit of kit and weighs as much as a crisp. Could empty my rack bag, spring after all. Last time I did I found a folded up£10 note.

If you don't want to drop stuff, then it's a bit pointless to ask. I simply highlighted the two items that seem out of place on a 40 mile ride.
Obviously if your 40 miles are at night in winter, then you need to be prepared, but it's not winter now

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #84 on: 26 April, 2021, 11:58:58 am »
I carry a foil blanket.  On a couple of occasions it's made a big difference to someone while they waited for the ambulance to arrive.