General Category > Folders

Apollo Transport E-bike

(1/3) > >>

citoyen:
Anyone know anything about these?
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/folding-bikes/apollo-transport-electric-folding-bike---20in-wheel-750855.html

I'm very tempted, as a cheap alternative to a Brompton.

I doubt it folds anything like as well as a Brompton, but as long as it folds enough to be allowed on trains, that's my main concern. And I expect the components are largely made of cheese, but they can be upgraded as they wear out/disintegrate.

Very tempted indeed.

citoyen:
Well, I decided to go for it, despite not being able to find any reviews. Have just come from picking it up.

First impression, after a quick few laps round Halfords car park, is that it’s going to be perfect for the commute. The e-assist has three power levels and there’s a noticeable difference between them. Full power has quite a kick (on the flat, at least). And the e-assist engages quickly enough that I’m going to have to get out of the habit of soft pedalling when I want to coast. It’s easy to adjust power level while riding.

Components are unsurprisingly low end but those can be upgraded as necessary. It has a six-speed block, which I’m guessing is a screw-on but haven’t investigated properly yet. Shifting is with a twist grip. Tbh, gears seem largely pointless on an e-bike that’s mostly going to be used in London. I might look into swapping for a three-speed hub gear in the long run, or even single speed (the motor is in the front hub). [ETA: yes, of course it's a screw-on - Shimano MF-TZ500-6, to be precise.]

Asked the chap in the shop about removing the front wheel, and his response was bring it in and let them do it… on me insisting on better information, he pointed out that there’s an inline connector in the power cable. But removing the front wheel will be a faff, so fingers crossed I don’t get too many punctures (seems like a good argument for upgrading to M+ at the earliest opportunity).

Tried folding it as well. On that score… let’s just say that it’s not a Brompton. But then it is a third of the price and my expectations were realistic, so I’m not concerned about that.

It doesn’t lock together when folded either, which could make carrying it awkward, especially as it weighs a flipping ton. But hopefully the need to actually fold it will not arise often - it merely needs to have the semblance of foldability so I can take it on the train. Just need to hope I don’t encounter any jobsworth staff at the barriers who insist on me folding it before letting me on the train.

I’m back in then office next week so will have a chance to use it for its intended purpose. Will post an updated review after I’ve been using it for a while.

citoyen:
The battery is removable - it’s secured in place with a simple bolt (three keys supplied), though I wouldn’t ever leave the bike unattended with the battery in situ.

I took it out to charge. Fair to say it makes up a substantial chunk of the overall weight. It’s marked 8.7Ah/208.8Wh.

You can leave it in place to charge, but taking it out means I don’t need to bring the whole bike in the house.

rogerzilla:
What's the battery technology?  Is it lithium of some kind?

Generally, Apollos have unsealed bearings and rust at the first sign of rain (in contrast, Carreras can be quite good, but they cheap out on things like spokes and bottom brackets).  It'll work ok when new but I would expect it to be ruined after a winter of all-weather commuting.  If you only use it in dry weather and in London (which doesn't use much road salt), it'll go for longer.

citoyen:

--- Quote from: rogerzilla on 23 September, 2021, 07:40:25 am ---What's the battery technology?  Is it lithium of some kind?

--- End quote ---

Yes, Li-Ion

--- Quote ---It'll work ok when new but I would expect it to be ruined after a winter of all-weather commuting.  If you only use it in dry weather and in London (which doesn't use much road salt), it'll go for longer.

--- End quote ---

We'll see! The intention is to use it whatever the weather, but I guess that means I'll have to be careful about keeping it clean and drying it after use. Also regular prophylactic application of GT85 on exposed metal parts.

Most of my commute in London is on the cycleways, where they use Pathway KA instead of the usual road salt. Supposedly non-corrosive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version