General Category > Folders

Reversing rear sprocket

(1/2) > >>

Diver300:
I've just changed the chain on my Brompton, and I didn't have a new sprocket to fit. A 50 m test ride proved the bike to be unrideable as the chain was jumping.

Although I've ordered a new sprocket*,  could I get away for now with reversing the sprocket so that the other side of the teeth are used. It's a 13 tooth sprocket on a 3 speed SA hub.

*13T sprockets for SA hubs seem to be unobtainable at the moment. I had to buy a kit with the spoke guard and clips, so it cost me more than the chain.

LittleWheelsandBig:
Traditionally, yes. ‘They’ may have tweaked something to stop you from reversing the cog but I don’t know about any such changes.

Diver300:
The sprocket is thicker where it fits on the hub than at the teeth, so reversing it has moved the teeth about 1 mm closer to the wheel. The chain may mark the spoke guard, but as a new spoke guard is coming with the sprocket, I might as well change that as well as the sprocket when the kit arrives.

For now, the journey to collect a car will be made easier by using the folder.

LittleWheelsandBig:
The 3sp 13t used to be 1/8” and symmetric. It sounds like they didn’t stamp the 3/32” 13t out of thinner plate and instead machined away the excessive width from one side only.
https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompton-rear-sprockets-and-spacers/389-brompton-sturmey-archer-13t-stack.html

Diver300:
You've linked to the kit that I've ordered. The sprocket in the kit will be reversible as the spacer is separate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version