Author Topic: I am deeply attracted to a Pashley Guv'nor. Sad but true.  (Read 13564 times)

Re: I am deeply attracted to a Pashley Guv'nor. Sad but true.
« Reply #25 on: 15 April, 2008, 06:28:20 pm »
I have one for sale...I shit ye not

Me too  :D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 15 April, 2008, 06:29:05 pm »
YHPM...
Getting there...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #27 on: 15 April, 2008, 08:09:57 pm »
Like this one? :)

My Moulton fx8 looks like that - except it's red and has a double chainwheel.  Great machine ... I may even take it out on the CTC run on Weds.

Rob

« Reply #28 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:01:46 pm »

Dangit, Gordy.

Well, I can't afford one of those, but since that's what I wanted my two-speed fixiescorcher project to look like (minus the nice paint, good components, fancy tires, etc., etc.), now I'm excited about that again, when I had finally talked myself out of it.

Like this Moulton.

What Moulton?    ???
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #29 on: 15 April, 2008, 10:05:13 pm »
I saw one at the Earls Court Bike show last year. It's beautiful.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

« Reply #30 on: 18 April, 2008, 02:19:44 pm »
Several days down the line from OP, I'm still finging myself gazing at images of this bike.
Is anyone else?

« Reply #31 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:13:16 pm »
It looks beautiful - but for that price ???

I've been thinking it should be easy enough to knock one up from a steel touring frame a set of North road bars and bits I've already got in the shed

More fun than just buying one off the shelf
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #32 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:18:30 pm »
Saw it at the Bike Show and been wantign one ever since. Though I do like the idea of basically building something similar from an old neglected frame.

« Reply #33 on: 18 April, 2008, 03:28:45 pm »
Several days down the line from OP, I'm still finging myself gazing at images of this bike.
Is anyone else?

Yes :-[ ;D

« Reply #34 on: 25 June, 2008, 04:19:04 pm »
Just seen one in Deansgate Ev*ns - shiny and sleek, hub brakes look cool. Otherwise, lugwork is unspectacular (square and clumsy-looking), tyres are v fat and the grey sidewalls already looking scuffed. In short, not as sexy as the pic  :(

Be better off doing up an old 531 touring frame with Nitto moustache bars and the like

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: 25 June, 2008, 04:28:52 pm »
Indeed.  That would be much better and more distinctive and distinguished to boot.
Getting there...

outwith

« Reply #36 on: 03 July, 2008, 07:11:56 pm »
Be better off doing up an old 531 touring frame with Nitto moustache bars and the like
Speaking as the new owner of an old 531 touring frame (Fred Williams, early 80s) which will have moustache bars whenever Hubjub get some in, any more suggestions for 'the like'? 

bikenerd

« Reply #37 on: 03 July, 2008, 07:32:34 pm »
Speaking as the new owner of an old 531 touring frame (Fred Williams, early 80s) which will have moustache bars whenever Hubjub get some in, any more suggestions for 'the like'? 

I think the Nitto Albatross bars are more similar to the ones on the Guvnor than the Moustache ones.
Apart from that, some Brooks grips, a Brooks saddle (matching, natch), single speed / fixed rear wheel and matching front: get some silver hubs from On-One and some silver rims (Mavic Open Sport are alright and pretty cheap) and build them yourself.  Reverse action TT style levers and canti brakes, if it has braze ons, or Alhonga deep drop if not.  "Woolly hat shop" on ebay is a good place to get canti brakes.  Chainset from ebay or a forum, just put a single ring on it.  Stronglight rings from Spa Cycles are cheap if not exactly round.  Quill stem from ebay or get a Nitto one to match.  Fat tyres like Schwalbe Marathons.
Sorted!
My Hill Special is a little bit like that, with moustache bars and old Campy levers but the wheels are a funny size (26 x 1 3/8th, 590mm rims):

gordon taylor

« Reply #38 on: 03 July, 2008, 07:41:09 pm »
I think the Pashley has more relaxed frame angles than a typical frame from the sixties onwards. I don't think you would quite get the same look without the laidback seat tube and forks.

Zoidburg

« Reply #39 on: 03 July, 2008, 07:51:28 pm »
I am thinking that the closest thing to that Pashley may be a postie bike with the basket cradle removed, which may be no co-incidence what with Pashley now having a fairly redundant product line and machine tools to make use of

A postie bike would probably rebuild in to an almost identical machine

« Reply #40 on: 04 July, 2008, 03:32:51 pm »
Test of a Governor in the August C+, and an interview with Pashley MD Adrian Williams, which explains the origins of the Governor: he wanted a bike for himself to commute along the Canal bank in Stratford upon Avon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #41 on: 04 July, 2008, 03:37:56 pm »
How to make a Pashley

1.  Take a load of old cast iron drainpipes & lash them together

2.  Add lead weights to taste.

3.  Paint with Hammerite

4.  Mash a pot of tea and smoke a pipe while you think of a ridiculous price tag.

5.  Double it.

6.  Ship to poor unsuspecting fashion victim. ;D
Getting there...