Author Topic: Are you seeing more cyclists these days?  (Read 5258 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Are you seeing more cyclists these days?
« on: 13 June, 2008, 08:37:49 am »
Question for those of you in the Provinces, really. London being 'special', as it is.

My commute is littered with the pedalling bastards at the moment. Bike shed content at work has increased 300% (ie there are now 4).

On the road, there definately appear to be a lot more bike commuters than at this time last year. Is it my imagination or have others here noticed it?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Re: Are you seeing more cyclists these days?
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2008, 08:44:54 am »
Not in this neck of the woods.  Alas.  Just the usual slight increase that I associate with better weather and the banishing of the dark.  Nice to see them tho', don't feel quite so alone out there. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2008, 08:51:29 am »
Yes - The bike shed is rammed and it appears that there are many more cyclists on the road. Must be a Pompey thing. I am cycling from Denmead to Havant.

Right now our bike park looks like we are in Holland and we are having to lobby for more space. Lets hope it continues
Owner of a languishing Langster

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2008, 09:03:49 am »
Yes - The bike shed is rammed and it appears that there are many more cyclists on the road. Must be a Pompey thing. I am cycling from Denmead to Havant.

Right now our bike park looks like we are in Holland and we are having to lobby for more space. Lets hope it continues

Same here (in Derby/Notts).

Except for me - 'cos I've got sciatica ::-)
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2008, 10:49:51 am »
My commute is short but I've still seen increased numbers recently (Peterborough). Could just be the better weather though...

At work they've installed two new bike racks despite the fact that the factory is closing in a few months and the majority of cyclists are factory workers.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2008, 10:53:11 am »

Quite a few more... Some riding very casually...  ::-)
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2008, 10:57:30 am »
Not really, but that's not surprising as everything is pretty spread out here in rural Norfolk; and not many people are prepared to ride a 20 mile round trip to the supermarket.

I still see plenty of people driving their car within the confines of the village, to visit the Co-Op though. Bet they get home and bitch and moan about the price of petrol too.

Kathy

« Reply #7 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:00:27 am »
Yup - but I have just helped introduce a scheme where twenty employees have been issued with a bike each, and challenged to try and use it for 50% of their commutes for a month.

But even besides those twenty, I think there are more cyclists at work. I'm even beginning to encounter Other Women in the changing rooms in the morning!  :o

« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:06:17 am »
The warmer weather always brings out more cyclists, and it bewilders me that so many of them insist upon going out during the hottest part of the day ::-)

But now there are a few people coming the other way on my usually solitary commute - it certainly makes a pleasant change from the winter.  I only saw one other cyclist between November and March.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:12:20 am »
I haven't carried out a survey, but the number of cyclists I see on my commute seems to have increased this year, especially females.

gonzo

« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:17:07 am »
My local Thursday night 10s seem to be much more popular this year than last, but then again, the Tuesday night TTs aren't that much busier.

alchemy

« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:20:55 am »
I see lots more commuting cyclists here in the (ex) colonies these days. And there were even more in Melbourne

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:31:03 am »
I haven't carried out a survey, but the number of cyclists I see on my commute seems to have increased this year, especially females.

There is a degree of gender bias in my informal survey in that I /notice/ women cyclists more. Some are particularly,er, survey-able.

In fact there's one determinedly attractive girl who really ought to be banned from the road on the grounds that her astonishingly delectable figure constitutes a hazard to navigation.

ian

« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:45:56 am »

There is a degree of gender bias in my informal survey in that I /notice/ women cyclists more. Some are particularly,er, survey-able.

In fact there's one determinedly attractive girl who really ought to be banned from the road on the grounds that her astonishingly delectable figure constitutes a hazard to navigation.

Dangerous this. On Sunday we nearly broadsided another car pulling out from a side road. Let's just say that the majority of his attention seemed to be concentrated on the lycra-esque female cyclist coming the other way. Still, nice to have a driver pay attention to a cycle for once. Also confirmed our car's brakes work good.

I can't say I've seen a big rise in the number of commuting cyclists in the outer badlands of London (things do really pick up as you get closer, I figure most people max out their commute after five or six miles). That said, I seem to see more and more leisure cyclists at the weekend. Sunday seems to be the day for older blokes on bling bikes in the full kit. I feel positively underdressed. As opposed to undressed, which would just be plain wrong.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #14 on: 13 June, 2008, 11:48:16 am »

Even here in Denmark the number of cycling commuters seem to go up  :)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 13 June, 2008, 12:39:19 pm »
I don't think I'm seeing any more cyclists here in Outer London. I still see see more horse-drawn hearses than women cyclists.

« Reply #16 on: 13 June, 2008, 01:00:13 pm »
I've seen quite a few more commuters here in Bangor in the last 2-3 weeks.  It's completely confined to the region within about 3 miles though.  I might see 2-3 cyclists in Menai Bridge, but none once I get north of it.  Quite a few of the cyclists I see are actually pushing their bikes anyway, so I'm not sure if it counts.

Air Dancer

« Reply #17 on: 13 June, 2008, 01:20:54 pm »
I was having this very conversation with another commuting cyclist the other day. Yes, we agreed that there was a healthy increase in cyclists round where I live.

Dunno why, numerous reasons I suppose. The main one probably being we are now more empowered.

« Reply #18 on: 13 June, 2008, 01:49:01 pm »
I'm London outskirts/suburbsish.

My commute takes me directly away from London (into the badlands of Surrey) and there are definitely more people on bikes than there were last Summer, at least that's my perception.
Rust never sleeps

Fi

« Reply #19 on: 13 June, 2008, 02:03:11 pm »
Not on the Woking/Guildford commute, there seems to be  very few, which feels strange after all the London commuters.  There are two more at work, whereas there was just two of us through the winter, but they say they'll stop when winter comes, which seems a bit daft as traffic is definitely heavier in the winter months.

« Reply #20 on: 13 June, 2008, 02:44:09 pm »
I pondered this myself the other day. I will start commuting again in August and wondered if I'd see any difference from a year ago. I will report back...

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #21 on: 13 June, 2008, 03:54:09 pm »
Oxford: No. There's always been shedloads of cyclists.
Birmingham: On the rare occasions I pop up there, yes. Even spotted two fixies last time.
I am nothing and should be everything

gordon taylor

« Reply #22 on: 13 June, 2008, 03:55:39 pm »
Stafford? - Yes, there are more of us around at the moment, although the total numbers are still pretty small.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 13 June, 2008, 03:57:50 pm »
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #24 on: 15 June, 2008, 01:19:02 pm »
definitely. it also means that while in winter i have the changing rooms at work to myself, these days i need to get there early to avoid a queue.
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir