Author Topic: Are you seeing more cyclists these days?  (Read 5260 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Are you seeing more cyclists these days?
« Reply #25 on: 15 June, 2008, 01:25:46 pm »
Definitely more in Scotland. Tends in Dundee to be a mix of predominantly young female and older peeps of all classes.

Far too many on the pavement though  :(

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #26 on: 15 June, 2008, 01:31:22 pm »
When I'm cycle commuting, I tend to travel late, to avoid all traffic, including cycle commuters.  There has been a definite increase in cycling in more central London, which I guess can simplistically be explained, at least partially, by the July 7th bombing.  Further outward in Croydon (which is were I cycle from), you definitely see less cyclists than I do when I get closer in, when I'm going to work, on a busy day I'd only see half a dozen cyclists on the first half of the journey, whereas on the second half I'd see that many on a quiet day.

What I want to know is whether anyone else has ever seen anyone else using a trailer for their shopping?  I use mine regularly, but I've never seen another cyclists taking a trailer to a supermarket, or clearly carrying their shopping home.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #27 on: 15 June, 2008, 01:46:54 pm »
Seen a few trailers recently as well. Mainly kiddy trailers but they stand out on the A27 dc. Also a chap with Y frame trailer of some sort. He may or may not be the chap who rides a Thorn Rohloff (I forget)

melw1

« Reply #28 on: 15 June, 2008, 03:15:40 pm »
Definitely more on Anglesey... I was wondering if it was me suddenly being more observant but I do believe people seem to be giving bikes a try again...

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
« Reply #29 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:01:13 pm »
Loads of trailers in Oxford, for shopping, children, and moving all sorts of random stuff. Several shops also use butchers bikes- G&Ds use one to carry their ice-cream between cafes, and I think one of the butchers in the Covered Market uses one too.
I am nothing and should be everything

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #30 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:13:12 pm »
One or two of the butchers in the covered market always used to use butcher-bikes with signage.  T'was ever thus... ;)

As for more riders...

SUMMER.

See if they stick with it come September.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #31 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:19:22 pm »
I fairly regularly see butchers bikes, and trailers used commercially (I see Darwins Deli ones quite often), but it's much less common to see someone just using one for shopping etc.

Summer of course does bring a lot of riders out, or more specifically sunny days.  There are enough cyclists and bikes at work, that it averages out variations, so you could actually say what the weather was simply by looking in the bike store.  On a nice sunny summers day, there are a lot more bikes there than you would get on a cold wet winters day.
Actually, it is rocket science.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #32 on: 15 June, 2008, 10:24:04 pm »
Very hard for me to judge as I have only been living here for a couple of months. There cerainly are lots of cyclists about though. Its flat round here, (Fylde coast) so that obviously makes a difference but what I particularly like is the number of mature/elderly folk on utility bikes doing their shopping and errands. Lots of baskets in evidence and very well used panniers. There are also quite a few electric assisted bikes. Its all rather refreshing to me.

« Reply #33 on: 17 June, 2008, 03:20:54 am »
Lots more, at all hours of the day and night, and in some amazing colors, but that cheese I've been working on turned out be moldy.
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Tiger

« Reply #34 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:13:15 pm »
Swarming today. Hordes of maniacs al over the road, barging, cutting in, weaving about , bombing and so on. Complete liability at lights as they zoom through on either side. And teh cycliste wer pretty bad too.

I was watching the drivers getting angry on the Mall - surrounded by nasty oiks on bikes. And the MC riders getting more aggressive in colonising the ASF etc. Its a volatile stew brewing up ot there.

I reckon there is a sort of 'critical mass' tipping point on eg RLJ'ing where the overwhelming weight of numbers flouting lights makes the  law meaningless - it is civil disobedience in action!

I am a bit of an RLJ'er myself I have to admit - but in a sly way. 

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #35 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:49:17 pm »
There has been an increase in these parts, a lot more gutter suckers.

In one way it is lovely to ride along the small network of off-road shared paths round here, and see bikes all along it.

Less lovely are the cyclists in town who ride on the wrong side of the road, up the inside of busses and trucks and on the nearside of double yellow lines!! They make me fear for their lives, even thoguh I know they are more than likely to be ok!

All in all, the more the merrier IMO.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #36 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:51:35 pm »
I got a lot of beeping and a mouthful of incoherent abuse this morning for not going up the inside of a left-turning skip lorry, which had two huge signs attached to it warning cyclists not to go up the inside.  ::-)

Martin

« Reply #37 on: 17 June, 2008, 01:56:59 pm »
As for more riders...
SUMMER.
See if they stick with it come September.

They said that after 7/7 and I've not noticed much of a winter decline in London.

« Reply #38 on: 17 June, 2008, 08:49:04 pm »
I got a lot of beeping and a mouthful of incoherent abuse this morning for not going up the inside of a left-turning skip lorry, which had two huge signs attached to it warning cyclists not to go up the inside.  ::-)

Clearly you weren't getting your priorities straight. What's a human life compared to five feet of road space?
scottclark.photoshelter.com

Air Dancer

« Reply #39 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:12:09 pm »
As well as seeing more cyclists on the road, there's also more people out jogging. Maybe more people want to look after themselves more.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #40 on: 17 June, 2008, 09:51:12 pm »
Quite a lot out today. Including a bobby on a bike on Tankerton sea front. Saw him twice actually, on the way out and back. Friendly chap. Seemed in a hurry the second time but still said hello.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #41 on: 18 June, 2008, 08:21:39 am »
<snip>...Maybe more people want to look after themselves more.
Or they're trying to lose enough weight to get into the swimming togs they bought last year in time for this year's escape from real life? :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #42 on: 18 June, 2008, 07:01:52 pm »
I saw lots of people on bikes today, including a couple on a tandem, but I was on a training day in building by the beach, so maybe there are just more people cycling round there anyway.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Otto

« Reply #43 on: 19 June, 2008, 12:00:55 pm »
I've seen a few more real cyclists..but a heck of a lot more BOBS...Bodies on Bikes...wobbling a wheeling all over the place...jumping lights etc etc

« Reply #44 on: 19 June, 2008, 12:11:38 pm »
Otto! Long time no see!  :)

Otto

« Reply #45 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:14:23 pm »
Otto! Long time no see!  :)

;D  Yes been incomunicado but I is back

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #46 on: 19 June, 2008, 06:34:23 pm »
I saw loads of cyclists today, noticeably more than usual.  :)
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.