Author Topic: Bristol!? Eh!?  (Read 5242 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Bristol!? Eh!?
« on: 19 June, 2008, 08:20:28 am »

BBC NEWS | England | Bristol | Bristol named UK's 'cycling city'

Noo, that doesn't sound like the same pollution ridden hell-hole that I remember biking in and around.  Dreadful place.   I always thought, still do, that the Slough "solution" was the best plan for Bristol none of this tinkering around the edges.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Bristol!? Eh!?
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2008, 09:11:41 am »
It's an interesting choice. Some of the routes out of town are, challenging. Not ideal for persuading fatties onto their bikes, but on the other hand choosing a flat place could be criticised for making it too easy.
It is simpler than it looks.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:06:15 am »
Hellhole?  Nah, it's not that bad.  Quite nice in parts.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:10:44 am »
Nothing to do with where Sustrans is based of course...  ::-)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:40:21 am »
YORK!

wtf is York doing on that list, it already has every facility known to the cycling world.

How about cities like Leeds?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dave

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2008, 10:43:32 am »
YORK!

wtf is York doing on that list, it already has every facility known to the cycling world.

Cambridge too. Both places with very active cycle campaign organisations?

It's in many ways hilarious that Stoke is on the list. But if you want a case study on whether this sort of investment will work, it's actually an excellent choice.

« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2008, 11:58:47 am »
YORK!

Cambridge too. Both places with very active cycle campaign organisations?

It's in may ways hilarious that Stoke is on the list. But if you want a case study on whether this sort of investment will work, it's actually an excellent choice.

I've just been re-interviewed about this. Told interviewer that York didn't need the money, cities like Leeds were a desert when it came to cycling and cycle proficiency training in the schools.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 19 June, 2008, 12:03:52 pm »
Bristol is also a slightly soft target because (a) maybe due to the Sustrans influence, it has a lot of existing facilities like ASLs and (b) it has a large student population who may* be young, poor and fit enough to cycle.

On the other hand, the climate is atrociously wet, unlike Hull or Cambridge.

*although yer average Oxbridge-reject Bristol student probably has a new car purchased by the Bank of Mummy and Daddy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 19 June, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »
Manchester is the place that needs it, to support the CCharge scheme.  It's abominable for cycling.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2008, 12:54:29 pm »
A good film article on the BBc website.  Quite well put forward and shows some of a cyclists problems. Filmed in Bristol

BBC NEWS | UK | Bristol named as 'cycle city'

« Reply #10 on: 19 June, 2008, 12:55:38 pm »
I guess that the BBC Breakfast planners read this story as they had a slot from Bristol this morning.  Followed a cyclist on her commute with some sensible comments along the way.

Aidan & I x-typed.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:30:46 pm »
I liked the crap driving of the twonk in the blue polo. Sudden stop when they realised there was a cyclist in front of them at the junction. Straight over the top of a mini-RAB. Dodgy overtake on the mini-RAB ::-)

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #12 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:38:05 pm »
Bristol is also a slightly soft target because (a) maybe due to the Sustrans influence, it has a lot of existing facilities like ASLs and (b) it has a large student population who may* be young, poor and fit enough to cycle.

Plenty of Fixed gear gallery type fixers recently...

On the other hand, the climate is atrociously wet, unlike Hull or Cambridge.

Really? I haven't noticed in the past couple of years.
*although yer average Oxbridge-reject Bristol student probably has a new car purchased by the Bank of Mummy and Daddy.

Yes. There are some inappropriate red Italian cars driven by students...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #13 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:46:28 pm »
Well Bristol is forward thinking enough to allow motorbikes in bus lanes, so I say well done.

Dave

« Reply #14 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:50:08 pm »
Well Bristol is forward thinking enough to allow motorbikes in bus lanes, so I say well done.

Is it forward-thinking enough to allow cyclists to ride the wrong way along one-way streets? ;)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #15 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:51:03 pm »

Is it forward-thinking enough to allow cyclists to ride the wrong way along one-way streets? ;)

No 'cos thats a stupid idea, and bristol know it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:52:54 pm »
A good film article on the BBc website.  Quite well put forward and shows some of a cyclists problems. Filmed in Bristol

My favourite thing about that video: the volume control goes up to 11.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #17 on: 19 June, 2008, 01:55:54 pm »

My favourite thing about that video: the volume control goes up to 11.

Yay!!!! rock on! ;D ;D

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #18 on: 19 June, 2008, 02:00:37 pm »
Dereck smalls is that you?

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #19 on: 19 June, 2008, 02:15:55 pm »

brilliant!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 19 June, 2008, 03:55:49 pm »
Is it appropriate that it goes to a city named after a car? ???
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21 on: 19 June, 2008, 04:03:47 pm »
That would also rule out Bedford, Luton (sort of), Leyland, Oxford, Cambridge, Plymouth and anywhere along the Humber.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #22 on: 19 June, 2008, 04:07:47 pm »
Is it appropriate that it goes to a city named after a car? ???

And a ladies chesticles.

Spikey

« Reply #23 on: 19 June, 2008, 04:41:19 pm »

brilliant!
Uh No! I thought that this was an entirely negative film which is  a non-stop winge. Overall, its well designed to put off any potential cyclists. Yes there are dangers and some atrocious driving, and our fair share of rubish cycle facilities, but there is also so many +ves of cycle commuting.

I think its ironic that Bristol should be given this award considering the recent plans to convert the Bristol-to-Bath path  (one of Sustrans showpiece routes) into some sort of tram route.

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
« Reply #24 on: 19 June, 2008, 04:54:15 pm »
I think its ironic that Bristol should be given this award considering the recent plans to convert the Bristol-to-Bath path  (one of Sustrans showpiece routes) into some sort of tram route.

That's no longer going ahead. It was never going to actually happen anyway.