Author Topic: A Cycling Forum that never took off.  (Read 4874 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
Re: A Cycling Forum that never took off.
« Reply #25 on: 29 June, 2008, 08:56:20 am »
Hmm

I'm getting (elsewhere)

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Got this a few days ago, last time I checked, also - is it just me?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 29 June, 2008, 08:59:33 am »
I think it's just you.  We get it from time to time; SMF does tend to throw a hissy fit if the database doesn't respond within a nanosecond.  I sometimes get 30-40 automated e-mails from "Charlie Root" informing me that, for one minute in the early hours, the database was unavailable.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 29 June, 2008, 05:28:45 pm »
Hmm

I'm getting (elsewhere)

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Got this a few days ago, last time I checked, also - is it just me?

No.
I get it quite frequently but almost always get a yacf page when I click on 'try again', so it's a 2 second inconvenience which can tolerate...

« Reply #28 on: 30 June, 2008, 04:04:47 pm »
It doesn't look like this forum is going to make it: CTC Wales
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 30 June, 2008, 06:05:46 pm »
I think forums only work above a certain level of traffic, email groups are much better for low levels.

The problem being that if you check every day for a week, and there is nothing to interest you, you may never browse there again:
with push technology (such as email) if there is important info to be sent out 2 months since the last post, subscribers will STILL receive it.

Because of this critical mass I don't think there is room for more than a handful of (UK based) cycling sites. My club has its own and it ONLY JUST struggles along with a few posts a week. I am sure most members never visit, despite using a web-browser every day. I nearly suggested we start our own sub-forum in The Old Place - in hindsight that was a narrow escape!

Does any forum software have a usable email notification feature that would deal with this in-betweeny traffic level?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles