Author Topic: Blew my top (a bit) at work today.  (Read 2063 times)

Pete

Blew my top (a bit) at work today.
« on: 23 June, 2008, 06:13:21 pm »
This is cycling related.  Got into a bit of a row with the facilities manager: there was a motor scooter (Vespa type) between two of the sheffield stands, effectively blocking use of two bike positions.  And there were unusually many bicycles on the stands today, every (unblocked) place was occupied.  So I asked him to ask the scooter owner to move it.  He got huffy, "what are you faffin' on about, it's a bike innit".  I say no, it's a motorbike and it's got its own propstand, it doesn't need the sheffields.  He comes back later and says the owner won't move it; put it there because there wasn't enough room in the motorbike area (which wasn't true, as it happens).  I said, not my problem, the cycle stands are for pedal cycles only and are you going to do nothing about it?

My problem is that, OK today there was enough room for all the cycles that turned up, this may set a precedent, other motorcyclists may think it's OK to park between the sheffields and if several do it we'll lose the space.

So I get really angry and fire off an E-mail to the MD, copied to HR.  As follows:
Subject: Motor scooter reg. no. xx xx xxx
This vehicle is currently parked amongst the cycle stands which are intended for pedal cycles.  It is blocking the space which could be taken up by two cycles.

The Facilities Manager has declined to take any action on this matter.

I understand it is Company policy to encourage Green and Health initiatives which includes support of those who choose to cycle to work.  The presence of this vehicle is not helping matters.

Please could you resolve this issue.
Thanks.
Pete.
No reply from either recipient yet.  Have I created trouble for myself I wonder?

ABlipInContinuity

Re: Blew my top (a bit) at work today.
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2008, 06:19:23 pm »
This is cycling related.  Got into a bit of a row with the facilities manager: there was a motor scooter (Vespa type) between two of the sheffield stands, effectively blocking use of two bike positions.  And there were unusually many bicycles on the stands today, every (unblocked) place was occupied.  So I asked him to ask the scooter owner to move it.  He got huffy, "what are you faffin' on about, it's a bike innit".  I say no, it's a motorbike and it's got its own propstand, it doesn't need the sheffields.  He comes back later and says the owner won't move it; put it there because there wasn't enough room in the motorbike area (which wasn't true, as it happens).  I said, not my problem, the cycle stands are for pedal cycles only and are you going to do nothing about it?

My problem is that, OK today there was enough room for all the cycles that turned up, this may set a precedent, other motorcyclists may think it's OK to park between the sheffields and if several do it we'll lose the space.

So I get really angry and fire off an E-mail to the MD, copied to HR.  As follows:
Subject: Motor scooter reg. no. xx xx xxx
This vehicle is currently parked amongst the cycle stands which are intended for pedal cycles.  It is blocking the space which could be taken up by two cycles.

The Facilities Manager has declined to take any action on this matter.

I understand it is Company policy to encourage Green and Health initiatives which includes support of those who choose to cycle to work.  The presence of this vehicle is not helping matters.

Please could you resolve this issue.
Thanks.
Pete.
No reply from either recipient yet.  Have I created trouble for myself I wonder?

You have my sympathy Pete.

However, I would have just taken the bike into the office with me and then if anyone complained, explained the predicament. Or possibly ask where you can keep it safely as there is no free cycle parking left.

« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2008, 06:35:12 pm »
Method A: Was there anything in the motorbike area you could have locked your bicycle to?

Method B (though childish and rude): Lock your bike to the scooter.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ian

« Reply #3 on: 23 June, 2008, 06:41:20 pm »
The scooter parking phenomenon seems common. Happens a lot at the gym I visit. Occasionally, a scooter is locked to one of the Sheffield stands, which makes a kind of sense. Mostly though, it isn't, and there's no shortage of motorcycle parking space either side of the stands. Fortunately, there's usually enough rack space for cycles, the people of Beckenham having yet to rise up and declare the internal combustion engine dead, or I'd be annoyed. Mostly I'm just puzzled. There was a full size motorbike slotted in between two stands the other day, and yet locked to neither of them. Perhaps the owner was just deeply paranoid about it falling over.

« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2008, 07:11:12 pm »
I had a run in with a motor scooter using a cycle path. After a few choice words were exchanged, the owner still insisted that motor scooters are allowed on cycle paths.
Stropping rocks

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2008, 07:20:51 pm »
Indeed.

Send them a letter.

That'll show 'em!
It is simpler than it looks.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #6 on: 23 June, 2008, 08:11:19 pm »
I regularly cycle the 23 miles each way to Preston. I like to park my bike or trike in a busy place where any dodgy activity would get noticed. There are stands on the outside market place, 30 feet from the road, and capable of taking 9 or 10 bikes. Over the past few years motorcycles and scooters are always parked there, 4 or 5 of the buggers! I actually asked a traffic warden about it as 1. they had to cross a large area of pedestrian footpath and 2. there is a sign with a picture of a BICYCLE on the wall behind the stands. "Nothing I can do mate, try and get in touch with the council" was his response. I tried that over a year ago and was fobbed off. Nobody gives a damn!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Pete

« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2008, 08:20:50 pm »
That wasn't the sort of postal I had in mind.

Give into your inner rage, Pete!!!
That was last year's special concert .... no, wait, I tell a lie, the year before's.  You know, I was going to post the link, then I realised the thread must have been in 'another place' and inaccessible to me (in fact it's sure to have gone by now).  Anyway, that was about the time they pulled down a wall in the office, whilst I had equipment I was working on leaning up against it.  That led to a chain of events which eventually rid me of my then manager  ;D 8).

I did feel like locking up the offending scooter but I didn't have a spare lock on me, and no way was I going to lock my own bike to it!  My son's got a really heavy-duty cable and D-lock combination (his bike's worth more than mine).  Would he lend it to me I wonder?  No, he'll be needing it tomorrow.

I'll have to see if Mr Vespa's there tomorrow...  Actually, I don't really feel  :demon: enough at the moment.  Sorry.

Pete

« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2008, 08:29:52 pm »
Nobody gives a damn!
Sorry to hear that.  Actually, some people do give a damn!  I had the same thing happen at Tesco's once.  We went into the supermarket, did our shopping and I also filled in one of Tesco's 'complaint' cards and left it in the box.   As we were walking back, I noticed the motorbike's owner unlock his machine and drive off.  He was a Tesco employee.

I never saw a motorbike in the cycle stands at Tesco's, again.

I hope I didn't get someone sacked.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #9 on: 27 June, 2008, 03:59:21 pm »
Nobody gives a damn!
Sorry to hear that.  Actually, some people do give a damn!  I had the same thing happen at Tesco's once.  We went into the supermarket, did our shopping and I also filled in one of Tesco's 'complaint' cards and left it in the box.   As we were walking back, I noticed the motorbike's owner unlock his machine and drive off.  He was a Tesco employee.

I hope you did!  That'll learn 'em!!!   :demon: :demon: :demon:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #10 on: 27 June, 2008, 04:35:55 pm »
Nobody gives a damn!

That's interesting, Id' never noticed those...

The motorcycle bay at our local tescos usually has cars in it. When I had a battered old Honda I used to park it 6" from the drivers door and go in. Unfortunately I'm a fairly quick shopper and I always came out again before my point was made...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.