Author Topic: Oppy Bag  (Read 1633 times)

Oppy Bag
« on: 27 June, 2008, 02:55:12 pm »
Does anyone know what I mean by 'Oppy bag' ? I just found myself using it in an email to someone and wondered if the recipient would understand. I am sure I heard Duffers use this term on Eurosport sometime last century

Re: Oppy Bag
« Reply #1 on: 27 June, 2008, 03:22:18 pm »
Being  a few years older than you (OK, a lot of years) would it be what we all copied from Hubert many years ago ?

« Reply #2 on: 27 June, 2008, 03:24:15 pm »
That's how Duffers described it, phew, hopefully my friend who is older than I am will know what I mean too,

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2008, 03:36:03 pm »
So we're talking about a musette, then?

*been googlin'*

I used to have one that was given away with a bike mag.  Not sure I ever used it...
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 27 June, 2008, 03:40:23 pm »
So we're talking about a musette, then?

*been googlin'*

I used to have one that was given away with a bike mag.  Not sure I ever used it...

Ah a bonk bag.  I've got one which I use once in a blue moon when I really don't want to carry much, I got it from a bike mag as well, I wonder if it's the same one?!
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #5 on: 27 June, 2008, 04:32:35 pm »
This definition may explain the starnage noises when I squeeze my bonk bag !!

muĀ·sette (my-zt)
n.
a. A small French bagpipe operated with a bellows and having a soft sound.
b. A soft pastoral air that imitates bagpipe music.
2. A small canvas or leather bag with a shoulder strap, as one used by soldiers or travelers. Also called musette bag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English, from Old French, diminutive of muse, from muser, to play the musette, muse; see muse.]

« Reply #6 on: 27 June, 2008, 05:32:45 pm »
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this subject is being discussed "in another place" right now.

The Beekay company name cropped up and prompted me to phone the factory to see if musettes still existed.   

Keith was very amused to receive my call - I think I last spoke to him about 35 years ago when ordering marshalls tabbards and banners for my then club.

Apparently he will be 80 next birthday and is currently emptying out the factory of all remaining stocks and machinery.   He has been taking musettes to cycle jumbles for the past 4 or 5 years and has eventually run out .  He has "the girls" making a last batch of 50 with various bike makers front panels then it's all gone. He is also has 2 large boxes of caps that he is about to let go.

Then it's all over. Sad.

« Reply #7 on: 28 June, 2008, 08:15:10 am »