Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250344 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Re: Base training
« Reply #1750 on: 15 December, 2019, 11:56:00 am »
well done, as said before not too keen to do it again.. my nutrition during the workout was four ripe bananas and three bottles of energy drink - saw me through to the end.

« Reply #1751 on: 16 December, 2019, 12:45:40 am »
Well I had a go too, wow that’s hard!

I struggled on the 2min over ftp intervals & had to lower it to 95% on the long interval with sprints near the end.  Just pleased to have made it tbh  :thumbsup:

https://www.trainerroad.com/career/markbc/rides/68475004-disaster

simonp

« Reply #1752 on: 16 December, 2019, 08:50:00 am »

I struggled on the 2min over ftp intervals & had to lower it to 95% on the long interval with sprints near the end.  Just pleased to have made it tbh  :thumbsup:

Well done! Your account is private so we can’t see how you suffered.

« Reply #1753 on: 16 December, 2019, 10:01:57 am »

Well done! Your account is private so we can’t see how you suffered.

Thanks!

I just switched it to public, then switched it back when I realised that things like my future calendar and Strava privacy zones are now visible for synced rides...  :facepalm:

I'll look into other settings, but here it is on Strava at least https://www.strava.com/activities/2935906567  :thumbsup:

rob

« Reply #1754 on: 16 December, 2019, 03:54:51 pm »
I did about 10 weeks of turbo only last Winter but the longest session was just over 2hrs.   Not sure I could do 4 TBH.

Last week ended up a bit of a mess with real life.   I'll do a bit this week then have Christmas week off.   I've just had a mail from my coach saying my plan starts 1st Jan - he's got 4 mths to get me in shape.

« Reply #1755 on: 19 December, 2019, 01:29:13 pm »
My comeback has fallen off the rails after about 4 sessions.

Was toying with taking a bike up to my parents but I probably won't.  There never seems to be a good time to go out when I do that.  In some ways it would be easier to take my turbo and do a few short sessions, but I can't see it somehow. 

I'll restart after Christmas.  Will find out if I get a place in TCR on 6 Jan or thereabouts and that will either give me incentive or take it away and make me find other goals.  I need a goal in order to train.

rob

« Reply #1756 on: 20 December, 2019, 07:47:50 pm »
I did about 10 weeks of turbo only last Winter but the longest session was just over 2hrs.   Not sure I could do 4 TBH.

Last week ended up a bit of a mess with real life.   I'll do a bit this week then have Christmas week off.   I've just had a mail from my coach saying my plan starts 1st Jan - he's got 4 mths to get me in shape.

Just commuting this week and should do a road ride in the morning. I’m then going away for a week without a bike. Hopefully I’ll be well set to start fresh in Jan.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1757 on: 20 December, 2019, 08:01:13 pm »
doing a break from the trainer, planning to ride 160km on sunday as a warmup for the festive500, turbo training will resume next decade.

simonp

« Reply #1758 on: 20 December, 2019, 09:17:16 pm »
I'm being killed by my new FTP doing one week of sustained power build, but it's back to base next week and less intensity... for a while.

« Reply #1759 on: 23 December, 2019, 10:09:23 am »
I'm trying to build a base with a larger volume of low intensity rides (while watching youtube to avoid boredom). I RAMP tested up a few W at 233, but I'm still having issues with my hip/ab area, so if I turn the intensity up even a little then I really struggle (RAMP didn't do it, don't know why not). It gets worse/comes on if I compress the hip angle (eg reaching forwards to switch video).

I'm seriously thinking about putting the recumbent trike onto the rollers (it has a 20" rear wheel so can't go on the turbo), using my pedals for power and gears to sort out resistance. I'll need to tidy up the garage a load and fix the back/head rest on the trike first though. Maybe I can do that between Christmas and new year.

simonp

« Reply #1760 on: 23 December, 2019, 12:54:22 pm »
I'm being killed by my new FTP doing one week of sustained power build, but it's back to base next week and less intensity... for a while.

Not been as bad as expected, actually. Sticking to the plan is working.

« Reply #1761 on: 24 December, 2019, 11:16:34 am »
I did bluebell last night, think it may be time to retest after Christmas with hope of some more gains  :thumbsup:

I've now completed "sweet-spot mid I" plus a few weeks of less formal base/build work.  I then tried sweet-spot High but the lack of anything over FTP made it less fun so I've swapped back to sweet-spot mid II with at least one ride outside added in or substituted.

I notice on 'real rides, outside' that I'm feeling stronger with my endurance which is fantastic.  I did however struggle with short sharp climbs, once it becomes impossible to hold a cadence in the 80-95rpm range I struggled to put down any reasonable power.

Would you expect this to resolve itself once I move on to build/speciality phases, so should I look to mix in lower cadence or climbing drills at this stage?

rob

« Reply #1762 on: 29 December, 2019, 09:09:38 pm »
I am free of the need to train.  FREE I tell you.   Looking to put at least a stone on before Christmas.

Well, I thought I was only joking, but that goal was achieved.  I may have overdone things a little with 6 days away and no bike.

First week plan from my coach has arrived and it’s all go from tomorrow.  I have 4 months before RAtN, but the plan is to get there a little undercooked and be a bit more on song mid Summer.

ETA - when your mother tells you you look far more healthy at the moment it confirms how the world view of what ‘normal’ weight has become.

« Reply #1763 on: 08 January, 2020, 12:39:55 am »
After Sweet Spot Base 1 plan my FTP is up 9% :)

After that I had 3.5 weeks off the bike early November (holiday and neck injury), and am part way through a ragged attempt of sweet spot base 2 , with Xmas & a couple of long rides disrupting the formalities. 

I randomly decided to do a retest today, not planned (and not feeling rested) but last few sessions seemed a bit too easy... a 5% increase from 216 up to 226, I recon I have more but with a test planned in 2 weeks when I move to a build program I recon I’ll stick with that for now 👍 I did Carter 45min session afterwards, felt good  8)

(I know the numbers are pitiful compared to some but it’s a random number from my turbo so I’m only looking for relative gains instead of wider comparison)

In other news I put in more riding hours in December than I’ve ever managed in that month so my base prep for RATN is all good  :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #1764 on: 08 January, 2020, 12:54:59 am »
After Sweet Spot Base 1 plan my FTP is up 9% :)

After that I had 3.5 weeks off the bike early November (holiday and neck injury), and am part way through a ragged attempt of sweet spot base 2 , with Xmas & a couple of long rides disrupting the formalities. 

I randomly decided to do a retest today, not planned (and not feeling rested) but last few sessions seemed a bit too easy... a 5% increase from 216 up to 226, I recon I have more but with a test planned in 2 weeks when I move to a build program I recon I’ll stick with that for now 👍 I did Carter 45min session afterwards, felt good  8)

(I know the numbers are pitiful compared to some but it’s a random number from my turbo so I’m only looking for relative gains instead of wider comparison)

In other news I put in more riding hours in December than I’ve ever managed in that month so my base prep for RATN is all good  :thumbsup:

Good going!

I had a week off due to Christmas etc just getting in the way too much. I tried training on Thursday and it was tough. Came down with a stinking cold on Saturday which is still keeping me off the trainer. So that will be a two week break at least then. Think I’ll need to retest and reset.

« Reply #1765 on: 08 January, 2020, 04:01:04 pm »
I'm struggling to get the motivation to get up and ride in the garage.  My hip/groin is not fixed, so I can't do any big efforts and I'm restricted to riding in zone 2 which is really boring. I put the recumbent trike onto the rollers and that's just made things worse - I don't have my "bent legs" so I'm struggling to hold 160W and I can't set the laptop close enough to watch Youtube. Totally fed up of this injury - had it for ages and it's not got any better - physio doesn't seem to touch it and the doctor didn't have a clue. :( I might just try to make the trike rideable outside and give up on structure for a bit. :(

« Reply #1766 on: 09 January, 2020, 11:40:52 am »
Everyone's 'fessing up! My turn...

Last year was my second year back on the bike and it all went pretty well. Was in good shape for my French end-to-end over the summer and was probably as fit or fitter than I've ever been. To my surprise (but no doubt a result of the consistent training load I'd been maintaining), I found I was beginning to be able to handle quite a lot of volume compared to previously, without getting sick in the way that used to happen. My last FTP test suggested that in the next year or two I might feasibly touch 4w/kg if all the planets aligned...

With all this is mind, in late October I began my prep for 2020 with a mid-volume Base plan, doing a few weeks of Trad Base + outdoor rides, then moving onto SSB1. All going fine.

But Crimbo/NY is a time to reassess stuff, and I've decided that all this bike training had started to feel a little bit obsessive, a bit too much like a job for me rather than being about having fun and being happy.

So a replan for me aiming to achieve a bit more "balance" in what I'm doing: reduce the bike training to a Low Vol TR plan, leaving time to schedule in 1 (or maybe 2) weights sessions per week, and 1 run per week. My partner's a runner, so it means I get to run with her again, whereas previously all the extra cycling had squozen out this running. Did my first park run, which I'd been planning to do for a while but it kept getting put on the backburner, so pleased with that, with more park runs and other low key events planned.

A couple of weeks in and I feel quite perky about this rebalancing. I need to stay bike fit as I'm off to the Alps in the summer, but my bike fitness goal will be aimed more at trying to maintain than progress. Reducing the volume frees up time to do the other stuff, and healthwise and over 50 I'm sure I'll benefit more from the mix of activities.

So that's my rough plan for the year ahead.

« Reply #1767 on: 09 January, 2020, 12:49:37 pm »
If I have a goal, I'm happy to keep training. But despite having goal events I want to do, I have no idea what is wrong with my hip, let alone when I'll be able to race on it.
I'm going to keep ticking along riding when I feel like it (indoors and out), but I'm not going to do structure (except for gym related rehab) until I have a prognosis on my hip. Anyone know how much I need to do to maintain my current aerobic fitness (I have no high end to speak of after 4 months of base)? Running is worse than riding, and I'd rather ride my bike that use one (or the eliptical thing) in the gym.

« Reply #1768 on: 09 January, 2020, 04:29:49 pm »
2019 was  a bad year training wise.  Never got into proper structure, work was busy. I managed my goal of 600km wild(ish) camping in Normandy in july but then broke my clavicle.  After 2 weeks this needed fixing which lead to a couple of months off.  Then my wife got a new job so wehad some house renovations to plan, lots of extra work followed by a trip to Brazil to see our son and suddenly it is Christmas!

The good news is that the new house is 20km away giving me 40km of commuting on a Monday and Tuesday (soon to be Wednesday as well).

I have also found the local cycling club (Mercia Cycling) who seem a nice bunch and I will hopefully get some longer rides in at the weekend.

« Reply #1769 on: 10 January, 2020, 06:56:09 am »
I probably should guess the answer to this: But do recumbent riders put the same machine onto their turbo or just use an upright?

Phil W

« Reply #1770 on: 10 January, 2020, 11:25:16 am »
I probably should guess the answer to this: But do recumbent riders put the same machine onto their turbo or just use an upright?

Depends what size the rear wheel is. My new recumbent has a 700C rear wheel so it fits on the turbo.   I have a cheap wheel and turbo specific tyre, which can go on my upright or recumbent, so I put that on to avoid getting mud on the turbo from the outdoor rear wheel. You know they say you should train in the tri bar position for power if doing time trials, it's the same  for recumbents.  It's best to workout on the recumbent on the turbo, if you're trying to develop power on the recumbent.

« Reply #1771 on: 14 January, 2020, 10:19:01 am »
I finally did a race on Zwift. Yes, after 14 months of very regular, I actually put a number on my back. Well, kind of.

Silver.  :smug:

More importantly, I'm clearly not trying hard enough in training, max HR was higher than it's been for at least 12 months, and I got the first FTP boost for 9 months.

Does anyone know if there is a calculator that will tell you how fast you would go for a different weight, given the same course and power? I think I need a chart for motivation...

simonp

« Reply #1772 on: 15 January, 2020, 05:27:33 pm »
Does anyone know if there is a calculator that will tell you how fast you would go for a different weight, given the same course and power? I think I need a chart for motivation...

Have a look here:

https://www.bestbikesplit.com/

« Reply #1773 on: 15 January, 2020, 05:51:12 pm »
Did Carter on the upright today.  So much easier than on the recumbent. I don't think my HR was much lower, it was just loads easier and I could have gone on for ages, whereas on the Trike I just run out of legs after about half hour (or earlier).
I'm gonna start SSB on Monday - I might use the trike for filler workouts if I decide I need more volume. I doubt I will though - I'm also doing some gym work as instructed by my physio.

« Reply #1774 on: 15 January, 2020, 05:56:16 pm »
A major factor is the gradient.
http://www.bikecalculator.com/